Lesley
Lesley Dork
10/13/08 3:33 p.m.

One horsepower to be specific. In the 90s, I used to cross-country jump, hunt, and generally have a hellova lotta fun with my big ole horse, Redford. We both got a little older, I got single with a mortgage to pay, and needed to spend time on my writing and drawing which I'd neglected for about ten years... so my buddy went to the Therapeutic Riding Program, where he was loved and appreciated by dozens of handicapped kids and adults for the last 7 years. I parted with him with the understanding that I'd get him back when he was ready to retire.

So last weekend I picked him up. He's 22, and will spend the rest of his days in happy leisure on my sister's farm.

Here's some pics ...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=37859&l=09f9a&id=515956307

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/13/08 3:41 p.m.

Aw, what a handsome fella!

matt_fulghum
matt_fulghum New Reader
10/13/08 3:42 p.m.

Handsome horse!

That program sounds like it was a really good idea. :)

donalson
donalson SuperDork
10/13/08 4:10 p.m.

neat program... animals are always relay kewl for kids... i'm sure even more so for handicapped

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/14/08 5:21 p.m.

Beautiful animal! He looks very happy.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/14/08 5:30 p.m.

I volunteered with one of those programs briefly. They really are fantastic. The kids absolutely love riding those horses. Your's has made a lot of people very happy.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/14/08 7:16 p.m.

It's the coolest thing that you're taking him back when he's retired. You're def'ly one of the good guys.

Lesley
Lesley Dork
10/14/08 9:17 p.m.

Thanks - he's family.

I volunteered with the program several years ago - it was amazing what it did for the riders - not only physically, but emotionally. Horses are a great equalizer.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
10/15/08 8:11 a.m.

awww, such a Nice Guy ( from Blazing Saddles too )

Seriously nice to hear a good horse story Thanks

triumph7
triumph7 New Reader
10/15/08 11:04 a.m.

Sonnet, you're making a German spectacle of yourself! Or is that Swedish in you case?

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
10/15/08 12:11 p.m.

Now you need to get another horse so I have someone I know to compete with if I ever get enough money together to spend winters riding in Florida.

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat New Reader
10/15/08 1:48 p.m.

My brother is autistic and has been a program like that in florida for about 4 or 5 years, all i can say is thank you very much! to you and any one else who has volunteered. Its been a great program for him and he has progressed so much lately that they think he has moved beyond what help they can give him, which is sad in a way because he loves riding so much. Again, thank you to everyone who has helped programs like these!

Lesley
Lesley Dork
10/15/08 2:11 p.m.

That is just great to hear. As you can imagine, I will be sending out lots of Christmas cards this year "from Redford".

This is us ten years ago:

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat New Reader
10/15/08 10:10 p.m.

Go Redford!

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
10/16/08 5:13 a.m.

Mmm, horses. Great gloves, and tasty too!

The theraputic riding program is fascinating at how well it works.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uRGO3N3fsGEY1rtZLatOAfvEB11p8TbYoE3zNuk9HE5zUBs6sKr48j9zwar4wjEE