Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/8/11 9:00 p.m.

My Grandfather has decided he is too old to drag drag a Super Gas car anymore and is selling his 1969 AMX.

eBay auction

It does better than 10.40's (9.8x is the best IIRC) with an all-motor 401. Has a title and VIN, can be street legal easily.

I can't afford it and it sucks to see him sell it. Tell your friends.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
6/8/11 9:16 p.m.

Sending link to my Dad.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
6/8/11 9:34 p.m.

Wow I really wish I had the money for that...

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
6/8/11 9:38 p.m.

Top-rated seller 14744amc ( 1159)

Grandpa sells alot of stuff

Javelin
6/8/11 9:46 p.m.

Yup, it's his retirement business. He reproduces AMC parts (emblems and trim), restores jukeboxes and pinballs, and builds AMC race parts.

I honestly can't believe he's hanging up the helmet this early, though I'm told it's because he wants a street car (drive to track, go fast, drive home) so he can dump the truck/trailer/etc.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo HalfDork
6/8/11 9:55 p.m.

Get a loan and buy it! That thing is awesome. Keep it in the family.

alex
alex SuperDork
6/9/11 6:33 a.m.

Oh man, I used to have the same tile he has in his trailer in a bathroom in my house growing up.

Yeah, that's all I have to contribute.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
6/9/11 6:58 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: Sending link to my Dad.

Sending link to Santa.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
6/9/11 7:12 a.m.

Nice! I was going to say, "make it streetable!", but after looking at the pics, I can see that would be a difficult process...

Javelin
6/9/11 8:36 a.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: Get a loan and buy it! That thing is awesome. Keep it in the family.

Me: I need a loan.

Bank: What for?

Me: A car.

Bank: Okay, great! What year, make, and model?

Me: 1969 AMC AMX

Bank: A what? We can do classic cars, but what's an AMX?

Me: (Shows picture of wheelstand)

Bank: Uh, no.

Javelin
6/9/11 8:38 a.m.
Ian F wrote: Nice! I was going to say, "make it streetable!", but after looking at the pics, I can see that would be a difficult process...

The interior would suck, but that's about it. It has a clear title and VIN, all of the lights and blinkers work, and it drives well (I've driven it!). It would need a glass windshield and the wipers re-installed along with some street tires.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/9/11 10:38 a.m.

that is a real shame.. but better to hang up the helmet early on something that powerful than to wreck it and get badly hurt. Your Grandfather has a maturity rating of 10+

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/9/11 10:50 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

There are places that will finance a racecar/collector car, if you have good credit.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
6/9/11 11:16 a.m.

I'm sure that 4500rpm stall would be nice on the street.

Klayfish
Klayfish Reader
6/9/11 11:23 a.m.

That's a wicked car. Sucks to sell it, but sure can respect his decision.

Restores pinballs, huh? When I was a teenager I had a pinball machine called "Gorgar". Had some historical significance...I believe it was the first talking arcade game. Wish I still had it.

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
6/9/11 1:10 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

This is Florida we're talking about... Have a title? Have money? Here's a plate!

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
6/9/11 1:40 p.m.
Javelin wrote: The interior would suck, but that's about it. It has a clear title and VIN, all of the lights and blinkers work, and it drives well (I've driven it!). It would need a glass windshield and the wipers re-installed along with some street tires.

I thought a speedometer was required as well? All I noticed was a tach.

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
6/9/11 6:13 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
Javelin wrote: The interior would suck, but that's about it. It has a clear title and VIN, all of the lights and blinkers work, and it drives well (I've driven it!). It would need a glass windshield and the wipers re-installed along with some street tires.
I thought a speedometer was required as well? All I noticed was a tach.

if you know the gear ratio and tire diameter, you can make a chart that shows what rpm equals what speed.. i drove my Nova for 2 years like that when i couldn't find speedo gears for the early 60's T10 that was in it..

Javelin
6/9/11 7:58 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I'm sure that 4500rpm stall would be nice on the street.

700 Foot Pounds of Torque. So yeah, it is nice.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
6/10/11 12:03 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Usually more torque means less need for a high RPM stall converter. I'm just sayin.

BAMF
BAMF Reader
6/12/11 12:54 p.m.

Your grandfather is a badass.

Javelin
6/14/11 1:30 p.m.

One day left, only at $6000.

Drive it to the GRM World HQ and keep rattling the windows with cam overlap until they submit to your demands.

Javelin
6/14/11 1:32 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: That's a wicked car. Sucks to sell it, but sure can respect his decision. Restores pinballs, huh? When I was a teenager I had a pinball machine called "Gorgar". Had some historical significance...I believe it was the first talking arcade game. Wish I still had it.

Gorgar was indeed the first talking pinball! I helped him restore one of those when I was younger, that was a cool machine.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p6MIKaxElAJYv1egdXXpnSzQ425DABqjJ8ahSVibaSFQcTmkSXZrcjKdPLTUKRZ1