ultraclyde
ultraclyde HalfDork
8/11/11 7:28 a.m.

Okay, I KNOW this topic has been covered before, but since the search function is still begging to be hit with a hammer....

I'm trading in a bunch of my old paperbacks to the local used book store before I go on vacation. Tell me what authors / books I should be picking up in return.

Qualifications:

It's a used book store, so obscure / rare / internet available recommendos are probably useless.

Not really into horror, self help (same thing?) or romance novels, but any other genre is a possibility.

authors I enjoy: Neil Gaman, Clancy, Cussler, Orson Scott Card, Ray Bradbury, Pat Conroy....

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
8/11/11 7:48 a.m.

small gods

ultraclyde
ultraclyde HalfDork
8/11/11 7:58 a.m.

the book or the authors?

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
8/11/11 8:26 a.m.
Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/11/11 8:54 a.m.

Anything by John Scalzi. - This guy has rocked my world in the last two years. I would start with "Old Man's War". It's a trilogy so in order it is Old Man's War, The Ghost Brigades, and then The Last Colony.

Joe Haldeman is good too. - He writes military sci-fi as well, but different. Joe Haldeman grew up reading Heinlein and his ultra-patriotic, flag waving brand of military sci-fi. Then Joe went to Vietnam. His books are seen as a response to Heinlein. He came back and wrote The Forever War, Forever Peace, and Forever Free. He wrote a lot of other stuff but those are the good ones.

Paolo Bacigalupi is very innovative and not military spec sci-fi at all. - I read two of his books. The Wind-up Girl and Ship Breaker. Good stuff. I liked Ship Breaker the best. Windup Girl could be hard to decipher at times and had too many characters to easily track. If you like complex sci-fi then you'd like Windup Girl better.

I like Apocalypse fiction. Octavia Butler writes some of the best. - This chick is an anomaly. She was black and a woman, writing sci-fi. Unheard of so her perspective is completely different than your usual macho white guys. Again, a trilogy so start with Parable Of The Sower. That's the beginning. Think of the U.S. as a third world country. That's the setting. People have made their neighborhoods into fortresses and still aren't safe.

Xceler8x, why do you read such depressing, violent E36 M3? Because I can then read Christopher Moore and laugh my ass off. - Chris Moore is hilarious. read Lamb first. The story of Christ's lost 33 years. Christ learns Kung Fu. He studies under a Yogi. He learns from his best friend, Biff, what sex is like with Mary Magdalene. He also wrote some vampire books which completely take the pretension out of the genre. The first vampire book is Bite Me: A Love Story. If you have ever read Shakespeare, Fool by Moore is incredible. I neglected my wife on our honeymoon while reading this one. If you call "neglecting" making the waiter bring our drinks to the pool side instead of getting them myself.

Sex Lives Of Cannibals - This is a really funny book about a slacker who follows his wife to the South Pacific. Funny as hell but only because he's such a hopeless dope at doing just about anything. It's written like a Mark Twain travelogue with lots of humor and some insightful commentary thrown in.

Boomsday - Written by the guy who wrote "Thank You For Smoking". Another funny novel with a political bend. Which is no surprise considering this is William F. Buckley's son who wrote it. Definitely not what you'd expect and definitely not right wing...or not entirely right wing.

A Short History Of Nearly Everything - This book looks much more serious than it really is. Bryson describes one guy as "in every picture it looks as if magnets are placed out of the frame and are pulling very strongly on his hair." This one is really funny but ALSO will learn you a few things while you're reading it. He does a great job of making science interesting and funny all at the same time.

I do have one suggestion right off the cuff. It's political dystopian sci-fi. Albert Brook's (The comedian) book - 2030. I thought it was an amazing book. A bit prophetic I'd say with rioting in London.

Another really funny, quirky book is Captain Freedom. This superhero rises to power, then falls, is then betrayed by his side kick, and goes all LA angsty and therapy conflicted. It's freakin hilarious.

If you want something a bit scholarly and subversive, read Lies My Teacher Taught Me. It deconstructs all the myths, and misinformation, that history books propagate about U.S. history. Stuff like the American Indians could've repelled the colonists except for the fact that only 10% or less of them were left alive post Columbus and the diseases Europeans brought over.

If you haven't read the Hunger Games trilogy yet, read it. The first one is The Hunger Games. Surprising title I know. If you get one, do yourself a favor and just buy all 3. You'll need #2 in two days and #3 by the end of the week.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde HalfDork
8/11/11 9:33 a.m.

I've reread "Lamb" a couple times, and it keeps sneaking in to my dogma. I should pick up some of Moore's other work.

Great stuff, keep it coming!

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
8/11/11 10:43 a.m.
ultraclyde wrote: I should pick up some of Moore's other work.

Yes you should. It is almost sad that Lamb is so amazing because it overshadows his other brilliant stuff.

Island of the sequined love nun is fantastic, The lust lizard of melancholy cove is great. The stupidest angel is awesome.

And since Terry Pratchet was brought up already I will toss in "Good Omens" that he co-wrote with Neil Gamian. Pratchets Douglas Adamsesque style with Gamians take on the biblical apocalypse.

chuckles
chuckles Reader
8/11/11 10:56 a.m.

Charles Portis wrote five novels. "Gringos" is my favorite. Read "Masters of Atlantis" last. "Norwood," "True Grit" and "Dog of the South" are all hilarious.

From "Gringos:"He had whatever the opposite of paranoia would be called. He thought everybody liked him and was interested in his welfare. But, then, everybody did like him."

Duke
Duke SuperDork
8/11/11 10:58 a.m.

Good Omens is awesome.

If you're going to the kind of musty used book store with stacks of old yellowed paperbacks around, look for just about anything by Alistair MacLean. Old-school (1970s) thrillers that are entertaining and easy to read. Just about anything will do, but The Way To Dusty Death is centered around F1.

[edit] Read The Hunger Games last year, then read the second two back-to-back a couple weeks ago. Very good, but a little relentless. A small ray of sunshine might have been nice before the last 5 pages of the third book. Still, very recommended.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
8/11/11 11:16 a.m.

Good Omens is my favorite book ever. Also, if you're into Neil Gaiman, read American Gods.

Lately, I've gotten into the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. First book is "Storm Front". Basically they're noir detective stories, only in a modern light fantasy (most people don't know about the supernatural) version of Chicago and the main character is a wizard. You know, like he'll have a run in with the femme fatale... except she happens to be a vampire. Not literary brilliance, but the world and characters are all solid and they're a just plane fun read.

akamcfly
akamcfly Reader
8/11/11 11:20 a.m.

Neal Stephenson (someone had to...)

Snow Crash was fun. I loved the Baroque Cycle, but Quicksilver started very slooooooooooly. Cryptonomicon was good too - there's an entire chapter in it about Cap'n Crunch.

egnorant
egnorant Dork
8/11/11 11:55 a.m.

Another vote for Terry Pratchetts Discworld stuff for a good vacation read.

I have been on a conspiracy theory bent lately. Mostly hitting a couple of books from each decade going back as far as I can find. Not good for vacation reads though.

As a science fiction guy I might recommend some John Varley or maybe some more action packed Ringo stuff.

Bruce

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
8/11/11 12:34 p.m.
akamcfly wrote: Neal Stephenson (someone had to...) Snow Crash was fun. I loved the Baroque Cycle, but Quicksilver started very slooooooooooly. Cryptonomicon was good too - there's an entire chapter in it about Cap'n Crunch.

Zodiac. I wan't S. Taylor's job.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/11/11 1:23 p.m.

"Shop Class As Soul Craft"

there's a pic of it in teh hotlink thread

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/11/11 1:35 p.m.

I reiterate the calls for Pratchett, Gaiman, and Moore (I believe it was "A Dirty Job" that got me hooked after "Bloodsucking Fiends" failed to). I'm guessing at this point you've already been through Douglas Adams' unfortunately not-expanding catalog... For Stephenson, Snow Crash is a good starting spot. I couldn't get going on Cryptonomicon 'til I got jury duty and found myself sporadically killing an hour or two with nothing else to do for a week...

William Manchester's "A World Lit Only By Fire" is an interesting and not infrequently funny look at the world's move out of the Dark Ages.

It may be a reach, but unless you detest cycling and all that it stands for, Joe Parkin's "A Dog In A Hat", which is really just a bundle of anecdotes from his decision to move to Belgium at 19 to be a pro bike racer is not only really funny, touching, and engaging reading, it also was enough to allow me to find the romance in cycling in a 40-degree rain. So, specialized, but I think you can enjoy it a lot without being a bike nut; it was recommended to me by a noncycling friend.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
8/11/11 3:24 p.m.

I recently started reading the Reacher novels, by Lee Child. You can typically pick up 4 or 5 of these paperbacks for 10 bucks in most used book stores, and they're pretty good. Reacher is a former Army MP who drifts all over the country and ends up finding trouble, but he's a really likeable character.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
8/11/11 3:28 p.m.
Racer1ab wrote: I recently started reading the Reacher novels, by Lee Child. You can typically pick up 4 or 5 of these paperbacks for 10 bucks in most used book stores, and they're pretty good. Reacher is a former Army MP who drifts all over the country and ends up finding trouble, but he's a really likeable character.

One of my brothers-in-law is a huge Reacher fan. I read the first one at his urging and found it a bit too... predictable? ...stereotyped? Not sure what. I also found that the author suffered quite heavily from detail fail - you can only get away with excessive detail if you can make it sound convincing, and I wasn't convinced.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Reader
8/11/11 3:35 p.m.

The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, douglas adams.

funniest thing I have ever picked up.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
8/11/11 4:06 p.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, douglas adams. funniest thing I have ever picked up.

Might as well buy the trilogy, it's 5 books. you'll understand.

Old foxfire books are rather neat (learn how to make snares, moonshine, build a log cabin, etc)

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
8/11/11 7:23 p.m.

Lee Childs (the Jack Reacher books )

David Baldacci

those are two of my more liked authors

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 New Reader
8/11/11 8:39 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote:
BoostedBrandon wrote: The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, douglas adams. funniest thing I have ever picked up.
Might as well buy the trilogy, it's 5 books. you'll understand. Old foxfire books are rather neat (learn how to make snares, moonshine, build a log cabin, etc)

Get "the ultimate guide" version it has all 5 plus a bonus short story.

If you like Tom Clancy's ryanverse look at Vince Flynn similar style with one character throughout all the books.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
8/12/11 6:24 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
akamcfly wrote: Neal Stephenson (someone had to...) Snow Crash was fun. I loved the Baroque Cycle, but Quicksilver started very slooooooooooly. Cryptonomicon was good too - there's an entire chapter in it about Cap'n Crunch.

One of my elective units this semester is Ecotoxicology .

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
8/12/11 6:54 a.m.
Luke wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
One of my elective units this semester is Ecotoxicology .

I'm jealous....when you get to save the world from polluters AND have the job title "professional pain in the ass" you'll be my hero

ultraclyde
ultraclyde HalfDork
8/12/11 7:18 a.m.

Wow, you guys read the same stuff I do with some great new leads to hunt down. Baldacci, Adams (of course) and discworld are familiar territory. they'r on the list of books I WON'T be trading in ...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WT0BwB0b127zyrVJIA2ViToVFUktufyNdn7W9P1mCbJZoeKlEkxZ42CggsFqARi5