1 2
BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/28/10 3:21 p.m.

I'm so Grassroots, I even game grassroots style... or something like that. I've found that much like cars, I don't appreciate paying full price for new games. Also, much like new cars, new games don't often live up to the hype that surrounds them.

I've recently played through Diablo 2... again... more... which led me to Torchlight ($10).

When Civilization 5 was announced, I reinstalled Civ3 and played it... again.

Dug out and installed StarCraft.

I about to try Freespace2 (free / open) for the first time.

I think the only new game I am excited about is GT5, which incidentally will be released about 5 days before my baby is due, so I am not expected much driving time.

Most of these are replacements for sitting in front of the TV, but am I the only one? Anyone have other suggestions?

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Reader
9/28/10 3:34 p.m.

I like playing Mousetrap and Twister with my nieces.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
9/28/10 3:36 p.m.

I like pie

9/28/10 3:46 p.m.

PC:

• GTR2
  • rFactor (with GTL plug in)
  • Zork (text based RPG ... free downloads)

PS3:
- TOCA 3

Available for the iPhone:

• Castle Wolfenstein
  • Doom (I, II, III, etc)
  • Unreal Tournament
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/28/10 3:48 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

What is this GTL plug-in for rFactor you mentioned?

9/28/10 3:57 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

For anyone who doubts the supreme awesomeness of rFactor... try and drive a Fiat Abarth, '74 RSR or Lotus Elan in iRacing.

http://rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Historic%20GT%20%26%20Touring%20Cars

9/28/10 3:59 p.m.

MOAR:

mndsm
mndsm Dork
9/28/10 4:00 p.m.

I play free flash games and YES- Car Town. Granted I am by no means a grassroots gamer (I think I have...3k? In gaming crap... on my bedroom TV) but there are PLENTY of free/cheap games out there. I often bust out the old school stuff. Check garage sales/thrift stores. Generally speaking, you can find 2 generation old consoles for like 10$ and the games equally cheap. One other option- Google "abandonware" and see where that takes you. TONS of sweet games out there, from back in the day. And they're legit, since the developers essentially let the liscenses lapse.

HenryAtMotorGrounds
HenryAtMotorGrounds New Reader
9/28/10 4:07 p.m.

Quake Live Arena Online! Completely free. Pure old-school fun FPS fun. Gotta love them rocket jumps!

And still 100 million times better than HALO or Call of Duty.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese HalfDork
9/28/10 4:25 p.m.

Beat this, guys:

Photobucket

That was a PITA to make 3 0-death runs in LTTP. All 3 are 100% runs at that.

I have an SNES connected to the TV next to our (free) PS2 and our Wii. The SNES is really the only one that gets used for gaming. The Wii is mostly used for streaming Netflix movies.

BradLTL
9/28/10 5:30 p.m.
HenryAtMotorGrounds wrote: Quake Live Arena Online! Completely free. Pure old-school fun FPS fun. Gotta love them rocket jumps! And still 100 million times better than HALO or Call of Duty.

Ok, now digging out the Quake 3 Arena game... been a minute since I whipped up on Sarge! Where is my railgun?

Re: CoD or Halo... remember when hiding didn't recover your life and was considered camping and lame?

BoxheadTim
9/28/10 5:52 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: MOAR:

Quoted for Droolworthiness.

Guess I need to get myself a copy of GTL then.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
9/28/10 6:01 p.m.

Freespace2 was freaking awesome! Enjoy! IMHO it was the last and best of the great space shooters...

9/28/10 6:21 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: MOAR:
Quoted for Droolworthiness. Guess I need to get myself a copy of GTL then.

You only need the actual copy of GTL CD in the machine when you install the plugin for rFactor. The GTL folks at Simbin coded the plugin (its really professional) so they had to ensure you bought it. I picked up a copy for $7 off Amazon but there are less scrupulous ways to get there if you can't legally obtain one.

In any case - when you get it installed, also install the real feel steering rack plugin & then ping me. I'll add you to our winter racing league emails. Its only at about 5 people and they only show up every other time but... its still pretty awesome anyway. I just add sim cars to fill the grid.

EDIT: Also, I have good setup info in case you aren't a regular rFactor user... it needs a little tweaking to make the handling pop and reading all manuals will take you a long time.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
9/29/10 8:39 a.m.

Renault Trucks has a free racing game for their heavy duty trucks. I haven't played it but it looks like it could be fun, though I doubt the physics will be that great. You can download it here:

http://truckracing.renault-trucks.com/

Bob

BoxheadTim
9/29/10 9:19 a.m.
Wonkothesane wrote: Okay, I'm too stupid to operate the googles tonight.... Is there a link to a website to buy GTL? I can find rFactor, but nothing about the GTL plug in?

Go to rfactorcentral.com for the addons for rFactor (cars, tracks etc).

As to GTL, it looks like that's only available used these days.

9/29/10 9:45 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote:
Wonkothesane wrote: Okay, I'm too stupid to operate the googles tonight.... Is there a link to a website to buy GTL? I can find rFactor, but nothing about the GTL plug in?
Go to rfactorcentral.com for the addons for rFactor (cars, tracks etc). As to GTL, it looks like that's only available used these days.

New for $9.22 with free supersaver shipping: http://www.amazon.com/Viva-Media-GT-Legends/dp/B000BYSX4A

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
9/29/10 11:06 a.m.

Oh yeah! I still play Baldur's Gate I & II, and Icewind Dale I & II, and a few others. Loved the Freespace games. The Descent series before it was also awesome. Starcraft is another classic, and another newer one is Homeworld.

Never played the Diablo games, but Sierra games are usually awesome in general.

BradLTL
9/30/10 1:17 p.m.

Internet sensation of the week...

Minecraft

Indie game, made famous by crashing and going free to play while they sorted the issues. When they went back live, they made $250,000 in a day. That is hardcore grassroots!

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
9/30/10 4:14 p.m.
BradLTL wrote: Internet sensation of the week... Minecraft Indie game, made famous by crashing and going free to play while they sorted the issues. When they went back live, they made $250,000 in a day. That is hardcore grassroots!

Made famous by Penny Arcade, who's reader base then overloaded the site.

Taiden
Taiden Reader
9/30/10 4:32 p.m.

Anyone else like to play the original Red Faction?

jde
jde Reader
9/30/10 8:35 p.m.

I assume Live For Speed is still ~$20, and there's a fair amount of content for that price.

http://www.liveforspeed.com

Richard Burns Rally can be had for under $10, and is a good hardcore rally sim. There's a huge mod patch (RSRBR 2010) that adds more stages and a lot of additional cars.

http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Burns-Rally-PC/dp/B000C97156/ref=pd_sim_sw_6

Rally Trophy is a cool vintage rally sim that's pricier than I expected. More accessible than RBR.

http://www.amazon.com/Rally-Trophy-Pc/dp/B000067GAN/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1285896689&sr=1-1

Trials and Monster Truck Nitro(?) are fun, casual games available through Steam. Also, another vote to keep an eye on Steam during the holidays. They usually have killer deals after Christmas.

digdug18
digdug18 HalfDork
10/1/10 1:39 a.m.

Yeah, I'm waiting for gran turismo 5 as well, i can't wait. I haven't pre-ordered, but maybe i should, save me some money on other games in the future.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
10/1/10 3:57 a.m.
jde wrote: I assume Live For Speed is still ~$20, and there's a fair amount of content for that price. http://www.liveforspeed.com

It's hard to go past LFS. I forked out for the full version a while ago, (but haven't played in ages.) Definitely worth it, though - no "real" cars, but the physics are very impressive. It also comes with a level editor to design your own auto-X courses - great fun with the go-kart or Lotus-7-type car.

BoxheadTim
10/1/10 6:21 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
BoxheadTim wrote: As to GTL, it looks like that's only available used these days.
New for $9.22 with free supersaver shipping: http://www.amazon.com/Viva-Media-GT-Legends/dp/B000BYSX4A

Indeed it is, and I already got my order in .

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4mOXGd2oniBD6PaGZiX0NSGnKvciTClcQ9vLt3WUo8Rnw1FhjaygrSKPmuSKpVuI