1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 ... 371
Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/15/21 3:05 p.m.

Not quite as bad as those, but this is 1 mile south of my house.  Small urban college town and campus is fully integrated into the Main Street area.  Most of the campus is to the right; most of the dorm housing is to the left.

The building is the most popular watering hole in the area.

The tracks are the main north / south east coast CSX line.

Yeah, somebody drunk gets killed here about once a year.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
1/15/21 3:48 p.m.
NickD said:

#2102 on Philadelphia–Schwenksville trip at Tamaqua, Sept. 19, 1964.

Sadly, I learned that while Reading & Northern and Norfolk Southern still serve Tamaqua, the line shown here was relocated many years ago. So there will be no recreating this shot once Reading & Northern gets #2102 operational

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
1/15/21 5:21 p.m.
ShawnG said:
914Driver said:

How many people staggered out of the bar and on to the tracks?

From an era where, if you managed to get hit by a train, it was YOUR fault.

When I was at Strasburg two years ago, I took the shop tour and while the tour was wrapping up, we heard the engine whistle for the station. Almost immediately afterwards, our guide's radio crackled and an employee said "Can someone make an announcement for those berkeleying idiots to get off the damn tracks?!" Our guide grinned sheepishly and went "Let's do a quick safety lesson. Trains only travel on the tracks, so if you don't want to get hit by one, don't stand on the tracks." Almost immediately afterwards someone got on the PA and more politely told.people to please get off the tracks.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/16/21 7:35 a.m.

Indian electric locomotive - made in 1930.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/16/21 7:38 a.m.

Southern's Best Friend of Charleston is off loaded from its two special built transport cars.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/16/21 7:42 a.m.

Train ops at the F.X. Matt brewery in Utica, NY

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/16/21 7:43 a.m.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
1/16/21 7:45 a.m.

With the other thread about Amtrak's Auto Train, here's a photo of the original '71-'81 Auto Train. For road power they used 13 GE U36Bs, often described as "the ultimate in adhesion-limited locomotives." They would try to purchase another four of the 3600hp B-truck U-boats, but financial problems resulted in them being sent to Conrail instead.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
1/16/21 8:02 a.m.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
1/16/21 8:06 a.m.

Roughly a third of the Auto Train's fleet hard at work. This is near the end of the original Auto Train, and the wear and tear and grime is showing on the GEs.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
1/16/21 8:11 a.m.

Southbound Auto Train AT-3 crossing Neabsco Creek at Neabsco, VA with two U36Bs on May 21, 1978. That stubby car in between the locomotive and the lead car is a steam heat generator car built from a Northern Pacific 4-8-4 tender, since the GE U36B was not available with a steam heat generator. Why Auto Train didn't use U34CHs, which were a U36C with a HEP generator and were more sure-footed than a 36B, I have no clue. Also, telling that this is a late photo, is that Auto Train has the passenger cars up front and the auto racks at the back, like Amtrak runs nowadays. Originally they ran the auto racks behind the locomotive and the passenger cars at the rear, which made more sense for slack action, but made loading and unloading at terminals a bit of a hassle.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
1/16/21 8:13 a.m.
914Driver said:

I was hoping to catch NYS&W doing the brewery job when I chased them on the Utica Branch a few weeks back, but sadly they weren't making deliveries there that day. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
1/16/21 8:20 a.m.

Northbound Auto Train picking up orders at the Deland, FL depot on the SCL on August, 1977 . You can just see the fireman reaching out to catch the orders from the stand.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
1/16/21 3:05 p.m.

On the subject of getting hit by trains, somebody tried to beat a CSX intermodal at the crossing in Utica. They survived but their 4Runner definitely did not.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
1/16/21 6:14 p.m.

Here's one I've never seen before: Amtrak E8A #4316 in an experimental paint scheme in August of '71. When Amtrak was hastily created in May of '71, there was no decided-upon livery, so equipment was left in its original livery. Some received "pointless arrow" logos quickly patched over the original paint, but many didn't even receive that. In August, Amtrak thoroughly renovated the Broadway Limited and needed to present some sort of unified look for the press. So this ex-PRR E8A, still in Penn Central black, received a unique paint scheme for a photo shoot. Amtrak later settled on the Phase I livery and #4316 was repainted and lost its unique look.

Also worth pointing out is the lack of portholes (an E8 should have 4). Penn Central was busy cannibalizing equipment and so E-units frequently received side segments from other E-units due to rust, leaks, fires or accident damage. In this case, the porthole panels were replaced with non-porthole panels. It wasn't uncommon to see upside-down segments of logos or chunks of predecessor liveries where panels were rapidly and carelessly swapped out

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/16/21 8:15 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Rapido is making a bunch of E8s including that livery and I had to think real hard about whether or not I wanted to pre-order a $350 locomotive. It looks really sweet.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
1/16/21 9:06 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

There was supposedly a single coach painted in the same paint scheme but photos of it don't seem to exist. #4316 didn't wear those colors, called A-Day, very long before being repainted to Phase I. It'd be interesting to see a Genesis heritage unit in this paint scheme.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
1/16/21 9:09 p.m.

I always liked paint schemes with diagonal striping on the nose.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
1/17/21 10:28 a.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

I'm pretty fond of the Burlington Northern E9AMs that BN used for their Chicago commuter operations.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/17/21 11:16 a.m.
NickD said:
914Driver said:

I was hoping to catch NYS&W doing the brewery job when I chased them on the Utica Branch a few weeks back, but sadly they weren't making deliveries there that day. 

Wonder what's in the hopper cars; dead yeast, hops & stinky barley?  There's a local company that sells a mix of rock salt and brewery remains.  Don't spend the money.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
1/17/21 12:12 p.m.
914Driver said:
NickD said:
914Driver said:

Wonder what's in the hopper cars; dead yeast, hops & stinky barley?  There's a local company that sells a mix of rock salt and brewery remains.  Don't spend the money.

I believe the railroad drops off carloads of grain. While the Saranac line of beers from F.X. Matt are decent, Utica Club is some vile E36 M3. I don't care if it was the first beer sold after Prohibition, it is dreadful.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/17/21 12:55 p.m.

My father drank Utica Crud, his second choice was St Paulie Girl.  Go figure .....

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
1/17/21 2:39 p.m.

I'm convinced that the entire SUNY system is just a backdoor subsidy to the makers of Utica Club.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/18/21 9:33 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/18/21 9:34 a.m.

1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 ... 371

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RX0oTxz3VPgcLtVZlFFxR8EHuoxwfxJqVJIFNheGV3BxeaWq8txNToj1O6WUgtY8