ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
12/12/15 5:27 p.m.

Recommend me a motion activated flood-light. I need to replace my E36 M3ty one.

• 2-head/light minimum, preferably three. It will be mounted on the center of a flat wall about 10 feet up.
  • Something that can also just be used as an outside light. Basically I need 3 positions: off, on, motion sensing. Not sure how this is done with an on-off switch. I believe my current E36 M3ty one will change modes if you flick it on-off-on quickly, but I can't figure it out with any consistency.
  • LED
TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
12/12/15 5:36 p.m.

Buy it from an electric supply house and buy aND ask the counter man. I would put the sensor within arms reach and the light above for maintenance purposes.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
12/12/15 9:44 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: * Something that can also just be used as an outside light. Basically I need 3 positions: off, on, motion sensing. Not sure how this is done with an on-off switch. I believe my current E36 M3ty one will change modes if you flick it on-off-on quickly, but I can't figure it out with any consistency.

I have 5 of them (all different) and they all work the same way. Power on all the time for motion sensing; Quick flip off and then on will turn it on until turned off again; Turn off, wait X minutes (5 in most cases) and turn on again to go back to motion sensing.

I also have one Heath-Zenith setup where the motion sensor is separate and send out a radio signal to the switch. With that one you can turn the light on/off from the switch without disrupting the motion sensing.

I like this because I have a sensor that covers the front porch and garage door area. That sensor sends a signal to the switch that turns on the light over the garage door. It also by using another switch turns on a light in the hallway inside the house so we know when someone comes up the driveway.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
12/13/15 5:50 a.m.

Bought two LED motion detecting lights a couple years ago at LowesDepot. They were on sale so that was the deciding factor. Can't remember the brand, sorry.

They have adjustable sensitivity and with just a little tuning pop on very easily. Really bright light illuminates a large area.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
12/14/15 9:06 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Recommend me a motion activated flood-light. I need to replace my E36 M3ty one. * 2-head/light minimum, preferably three. It will be mounted on the center of a flat wall about 10 feet up. * Something that can also just be used as an outside light. Basically I need 3 positions: off, on, motion sensing. Not sure how this is done with an on-off switch. I believe my current E36 M3ty one will change modes if you flick it on-off-on quickly, but I can't figure it out with any consistency. * LED

I must have the same one you have: It works in some random motion. darkness and timing arrangement that I have not figured out over 23 years!

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/14/15 9:22 a.m.

I'm interested in this thread, as my requirements are the same as the OP's.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
12/14/15 3:55 p.m.

I bought a motion sensor LED outside house light at Harbor Freight with no issues.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/14/15 6:24 p.m.

RAB Lighting has some decent products.

Kylini
Kylini HalfDork
12/14/15 7:02 p.m.

Any way to slave a bunch together for maximum freakout factor? If I had a yard (and blackout curtains), I'd find it deeply humorous to have the whole yard light up from one sensor trip.

Just curious!

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
12/14/15 7:22 p.m.

In reply to Kylini:

With enough relays and voltage you could light up and alarm a cty block off one motion detector. Depends on how much money you have.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cmWfMxodXEBt7M2RulaVOFAfEQ8gUTdpl3vcof4By816bPGRWodI2aU1cQJCxtkJ