1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/9/20 7:49 a.m.

In reply to ZackM :

That turned out great!

Did you apply the floor polish with a brush or spray it on? There's a guy in our club who uses a foam brush to apply it to his models, with great results.

ZackM
ZackM New Reader
8/9/20 1:45 p.m.

In reply to BenB (Forum Supporter) :

I just used a loose bristle brush to put it on. I like the spray clear a lot, but I feel the floor polish makes the plastic parts look more realistic. Especially the glass. 

Zack

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
8/9/20 2:09 p.m.

In reply to ZackM :

Came out great! I saw it on a Facebook group too. 

Trying to fix the fender: :/

ZackM
ZackM New Reader
8/9/20 2:20 p.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

Some shoe goo on the inside with a dab of toilet paper. Let it dry. Then use some puddy and sand it smooth on the outside!

Thanks for the comoliments on the starion. I got a couple slot cars to finish then I gotta pic a nee kit. 

Here is a 1/32 slot car I finished yesterday....

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
8/9/20 2:47 p.m.

I tried the floor polish recently, it left a cracked effect on the roof of my model. I might not have done it right, or I might have gotten a bad batch. They keep changing the brand name of this specific formula that everyone recommends for model cars, so I think I got the right stuff but I don't really know. I'll try it again on something unimportant before i start trusting it.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
8/9/20 2:47 p.m.

Used plastic weld on both sides and sanded it down. I'll reassess after some primer, but I think it's good enough... I have a backup plan if not...

ZackM
ZackM New Reader
8/9/20 2:50 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I am using Quick Shine floor finish from home depot. It is a milky color going on but dries a perfect gloss. My biggest issue the first round was you cant do any sort of polishing before applying it or it will not self level. I just cleaned it good this time and threw it on. 

That monte is going looking good Saron81!

Zack

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/9/20 2:57 p.m.

Got a couple hours in today during wife and toddler's naps. Went to the hobby shop yesterday and got a bunch of paint so started in on touch ups.

Inner fenders were unpainted, hit them with my favorite color, flat black.

Touched up a bunch of spots that were bare on the intake in red and painted the fan and belt and alternator.

Painted the transmission, previously unpainted.

Cut a hole in the hood for a scoop I found and built a rear bash bar and blacked out the tail lights.

Start of a roll bar made from the scraps parts come on. Complete with giant brake light.

Bare metal in the wheel well from tire rub.

Cut off the back half of the exhaust and ran it out the side with pieces from who knows what and the mustang tailpipe extensions. Then painted the previously black exhaust. See also painted transmission, touched up driveshaft paint and reattached driveshaft.

Roll bar kickers.

Another view of the roll bar and bare metal on the floor from the drivers feet wearing through. Also something silver in the middle of the dash. And battery in the back.

Side shot showing all the paint touch up. The outside of the interior was all raw plastic. You can also see the front bash bar, also made from scraps.

Needed a bit to break up the black, painted the radiator. I'll touch up the black around it.

I don't think I'll do much more until I get the wheels and tires. Not sure how those will fit. May take a good amount of cutting and maybe lifting the rear some. Hopefully they'll fit just with cutting. After that I'll get some decals on and decide if I want to do any paint accents.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
8/9/20 6:39 p.m.

In reply to solfly :

That's looking good! I predict much fender cutting as well. laugh

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/9/20 7:19 p.m.

I've got a sawsall.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/10/20 6:29 p.m.

I am starting my builds with an HO scale slot car that is both a replica of a real car and a race car! 

Here is the real car, Broken Jaw Racing's Datsun 260Z:

As you can see, it's an SCCA Solo car in F Prepared. It's one of my all time favorite 1:1 cars and I've always wanted to make a slot car version because the slot car bodies have the huge flares and spoiler.

So I got this rare old Rokar body with a previously done paint job on it for a reasonable price, sanded it down and sprayed it gloss black. This is extra awesome because the slot car club I'm in, PHOSAR, runs a sports and GT Life Like/Rokar class that it's perfect for.

Once it was dry, I started blocking in details. The Rokar chassis even has deep dish 4-spokes like the real car, so I painted and chromed them as well.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/10/20 7:46 p.m.

That's pretty rad.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/10/20 8:41 p.m.

Here's the kit. It's a 63. Soooooo, I need to find the correct wheel covers, somehow file away the inserts on the hood, and oh yeah, remove tons of flash and mold imperfections. The 1:1 car has no badges so I had to file and sand those off as well. It has a small block 350, single carb with non stock air filter. That shouldn't be too tough to replicate. Headers to stock exhaust. Original interior with wood rimmed wheel. Clock is missing from the center stack (it's out being rebuilt).

8/10/20 8:50 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Might be easier to get a plain 67 hood then deal with filling in the 63. 

8/10/20 8:58 p.m.

I got distracted by a Lamborghini Countach body I stripped 20+ years ago and decided to sand it, prime it, and paint it with the leftover from the Miura:

When it was dry I detailed it to match the factory TYCO cars to mess with the collector guys. 

Alright back to the Z project! I finished up the details, used the chrome pen on a few things, and assembled it!

Outdoors:

Back:

Quarter for scale:

That wraps this one up! I fear that it is going to be impossible to see on the track at speed (since the tracks we run on are black) so it might end up getting scratched up.

8/10/20 9:00 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, been looking 64-67 all plain. Wheel covers will be tough. Few kits available and $$$$$ for some. Been looking for separate parts as they're sometimes sold that way too. 1:1 is a 64.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
8/10/20 9:38 p.m.

Yeah finding specific parts from old releases like that is tough. And nothing I know of really looks similar to that design, there was a Mustang hubcap or something that was kinda similar but not very close to be honest.

Claff
Claff Reader
8/10/20 11:01 p.m.

OK here's the start of my journey now that I've spotted everyone else a week and a half. I'm going to go the true replica route, creating a scale version of our Ugly Duckling, a ratty unloved '93 Miata. We picked it up for $1500 at a junky used car lot in 2009 because the wife thought it needed to be "rescued."

In 2011 we decided to use it to do semi-serious STS autocross. In addition to throwing parts at it, we decided to also paint it (https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/painting-a-car-at-home/21343/page1/) since its original white paint was peeling off. So it turned British racing green, and eventually got striped and decaled up.

Of course the paint has faded since then and, while the decals have all been removed, their shadows remain.

For the purpose of this contest, I'm going to build the car the day after it came out of paint, just how it's pictured below. That makes it easy for me to recreate mostly because the car had stock wheels so I don't have to go finding a scale set of RPF1s or 6ULs which I imagine don't actually exist.

So basically I'm going to be building a base model Miata in BRG with almost BRG wheels, and all I really have to do to make it a true replica of this car is to lower it. I imagine at some point down the road I can look for wheels or attempt to stripe the model, but that's not the immediate problem.

So we've got this Revell kit and I'll be cracking it open any day now to start building a little duckling.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/11/20 4:07 a.m.

Really cool range of builds here.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
8/11/20 7:14 a.m.

In reply to Claff :

Epic license tag! Some of your aftermarket wheels have been available. Fujimi and Arii in particular have offered wheel packs. Check also www84.com, but they are in Japan, so shipping is too slow now.

8/11/20 1:56 p.m.

I found these in my parts box. The ones on the left are stock 66/67 Corvette and the ones in the right are 64 GTO. Yours if you want them.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
8/11/20 7:49 p.m.

Taped and sprayed the blue:

then pulled the tape off the drivers side... and the fender came apart again. This old plastic is brittle like thin resin for some reason. :/

one step forward, two steps back! I'll try to fix it and repaint that side.

8/11/20 7:53 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

I found these in my parts box. The ones on the left are stock 66/67 Corvette and the ones in the right are 64 GTO. Yours if you want them.

Thanks, but I have the ones on the left and the 64 is pretty odd looking. It's a wheel cover with a tri spinner and slots. Made to look like a mag wheel I think.

8/11/20 9:04 p.m.

The 64 GTO kit has those tri bar spinners. 65 Mustang hubcaps might look close in scale. If you can find an STL file I'll print them for you.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
8/11/20 10:57 p.m.

Plugging away at the Torino. The headers were a huge pain to attach to the motor, they didn't want to stay on or line up. I didn't like the air cleaner, so I ordered a fancy one online. Should be here in a few days.

Interior's just about done. Pretty spartan, which makes sense for a race car.

The front is all one piece, so I just flat-coated the chrome and put a wash on the grille. It might need another dose of the wash. The nice thing about this kit is that it comes with covers to put over the headlights. Because racecar. I haven't put those on yet though.

I like how it's coming out so far.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w3dLsp9mKFuBeh8qzjz8aGBaRxi8CSG858s0sSfq8OCjisuWf1w0dUWBt7OO6blb