JtspellS
JtspellS HalfDork
7/9/12 9:01 p.m.

Now i am in the process of a divorce and the "wife" calls me up today and says the car she has (in my name but she drives) is a bit in shambles and she "does not want it anymore"

Now the car in question is a 04 SAAB 9-5, and the short list of issues i know of at the moment is the CEL is on, needs brakes & tires.

Now i have not seen said car since it left with my dog and half the crap we had unexpectedly one day last year so i don't know what condition it is in aside from that.

So aside from talking to the lawyer (doing tomorrow) Would GRM:

1. Flip it (KBB is only like $4k for excellent and idk what the remainder on the loan is)

2. Part out and eat the difference

3. Fix and use as a DD and refi at a better rate and give the RX8 a break and eat it for a few more years.

Now being a Mechanic by trade fixing it is not an issue but just need some advise from all sides.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/9/12 9:08 p.m.

If it was me, I'd put some elbow grease in it and send it down the road. If she's anything like my wife, "shambles" means it hasn't been cleaned in a year so a good detailing will probably make it presentable. Give it some TLC and dump it unless you want it and can afford it.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
7/9/12 9:28 p.m.

Depends. How far along in the process are you? Are there child support payments on the way? Even though my ex had her car in her own name, she got pretty angry when I stopped doing maintenance for free. Her anger almost cost me visitation rights.

Full Disclosure: I live in Georgia, the courts take the word of the mother as "gospel" unless she's been apprehended in the middle of murdering someone with an ax.

Secretariata
Secretariata GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/9/12 9:32 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Full Disclosure: I live in Georgia, the courts take the word of the mother as "gospel" unless she's been apprehended in the middle of murdering someone with an ax.

Don't you mean unless she's been apprehended in the middle of murdering a child with an ax?

To the OP, really depends on whether you are or will be required to provide transportation for your soon to be ex. If you have to provide her with transportation, fix it and make her live with a practical car she doesn't really want. That will motivate her to provide her own transportation and she won't be able to say you didn't meet your obligation. Then get her to drop that requirement and ditch it.

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
7/10/12 4:47 a.m.

SHE TOOK YOUR DOG ??????? man that's cold

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/10/12 5:52 a.m.

If it were me, I would probably take it for a road test in order to fully assess the situation. Then I would try to run down the ex-wife and get my dog back.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/10/12 8:35 a.m.

Get it in writing, whatever you do.

GET IT IN WRITING.

GET IT IN WRITING!!!

GET! IT! IN! WRITING!

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/10/12 8:37 a.m.
wbjones wrote: SHE TOOK YOUR DOG ??????? man that's cold

No smiley. He speaks the truth.

pinchvalve wrote: Get it in writing, whatever you do. GET IT IN WRITING. GET IT IN WRITING!!! GET! IT! IN! WRITING!

+10000

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
7/10/12 8:40 a.m.

Wait to find out if you're required to provide her transportation. Get a hold of it before the D finalizes, and said transport is required. Sell it, and stick her with something REALLY hateful. Like... I don't know. (I honestly don't know what would be considered a revenge car on here.) Or, keep the saab, stick her with the hateful car, and offer to tradesies for the dog when she gets pissed, and challenge/chump/lemons whatever you get back.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
7/10/12 10:11 a.m.

tell her you'll take the car, but you get the dog too.

JtspellS
JtspellS HalfDork
7/10/12 11:28 a.m.

Lol GRM always cheers me up!

Within 1-2 months of year seperaton so almost time to start getting it rolling.

Part idk about is I have no kids with her but she just had one with her new one and idk if i would be under any responsibility to provide something, dont see where I would but still......

Kinda would like to steal my dog back though lol

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
7/10/12 12:21 p.m.

It sounds like the payment book is coming back with the car correct?

If the car is in your name I would get it back. I don't understand all the "get it in writing" part? Unless she was going to continue making the payments, etc,.....?

I've been there, it is all about tidying up the mess as best you can and moving on. Hope it all works out for you.

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
7/10/12 12:47 p.m.

I can't believe you let her have a car in your name with payments(?) out on it. Until a divorce is "final", they never are until one of the parties is dead and even then it ain't over, everything is open for, uhhhhh, "discussion". To me, it sounds like you were being nice in giving her wheels. Nice only gets you berkeleyed in the ass. Divorce is 50/50 on EVERYTHING. If your name is on whatever, it better be in your possession, since possession is 9/10ths of the law. Don't forget, debt is 50/50 too. So if you hold all the debt, she is paying up.

If this was my car, I wouldn't have "loaned" it out in the first place. But since you did, I would repo that bitch yesterday. More then likely, you WILL HAVE TO sell it, unless in the WRITTEN decree, that she gets either financing, pays you out right for it, or somehow gets you out of having your name on the loan and title.

Oh and if a lawyer says cave, get a new lawyer. Those limp wristed, I-just-want-your-money, jokers can get bent, since they don't have your best interest at heart.

Good luck!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/10/12 1:55 p.m.

Let me see... not separated a full year (approx 10 months from what I read), she already has a kid with someone else? Here in SC that's adultery even if you are separated. BTDT.

Take the car back since she doesn't want it, assess its condition but don't feel like you have to supply her with wheels.

Kick her ass to the curb immediately if not sooner. You don't owe her shi+.

JtspellS
JtspellS HalfDork
8/18/12 6:50 p.m.

UPDATE

I have the car in possession and well its not too bad have some time to put in to it tomorrow and this is what i see so far.....

Its still the 5sp auto that i have quite a distain for

Alt/bat light is on

CEL's 0340, 1312, 1334 (99% sure all related to the ign cassette)

Drivers window fell out of track and is jammed up at the moment so it will not fall

Oil could be mistaken as army coffee

2 tires need to be replaced

Now this is not nearly as bad as i thought really, but how does one let a car go this bad within one year? BTW i am keeping because the pay off and what its worth to kbb is 2 2010 budgets (guess thats what happens when she misses payments )

Anyone up for doing a 5/6 speed swap?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xFGKpUQ27yrDyLFTUqg4K5zrwsbKfRXa6jFR4BQux4uvOiZsMGzyWtEGizmZzMCR