1 2 3 ... 24
Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/1/19 4:32 a.m.

Hello everyone and thank you for tuning in!

It's that time of year!  Where forum members from around the states tax the postal system mercilessly in an effort to ditch all the junk that we were able to dredge up from under our work benches and from around our garage, and ditch it on some unsuspecting soul with whom we've only ever had the loosest of internet based relationship with (Applause!).

Just like last year, I'll create an excel spreadsheet, pair people up, and get everyone out in one batch.  I think we can run the signups from now until about the 18th of December, where I'll send out everyone's partners on the 19th and 20th.  Stragglers are always welcome.  As long as I can find another straggler to pair you up with, I can get you added in so please dont be afraid to ask to jump in late.

If you'd like to play this year simply PM me with:

• your GRM Forum name

• Your real name

• Your current address

Please title the e-mail "GRM New Year Game 2019" and please don't post your personal information in this thread. Also in your e-mail please note whether or not you'd be willing to ship international (we have some members in Aussie land and some friendly neighbors to the north who would like to participate).  In years previous we've had a surplus of people willing to ship international versus international people wanting to participate.  If you were on the fence because of your geographical location, please don't let it stop you from joining in the fun.

The rules:

Something "automotive" or "laying around the garage" tends to be the norm (offerings to the gods of speed, random car parts, garage reading material, war trophies, stuff you just don't want, etc). You can deviate from this by buying something strictly for the game but you do so at your own risk.  A gift that fits in a flat rate box (size of your choosing) has been the norm in the past, but is by no means a hard and fast rule.

I call this a "New Years Game" because we're all busy enough as it is around the holidays and there's no sense in adding to the cluster.  In saying that, there is no real deadline to have your gift sent out but please be considerate of your giftee.   I think having a box in the mail somewhere around January first would be a good deadline to set if you were looking for a timeframe.

Please note that I will not give you the screen name of the person you're gifting to.   There has been some back and forth discussion on this in the past, but I believe this helps keep any on-screen bias from getting into the game.  However, I'm not above sending hints (to help you tailor your gift), and many people in the past have used their detective skills with much success.  

Since we're doing the lists and giftings in one batch again this year I think we can all post pics to this thread, as opposed to starting a new one.

Speaking of "pictures and threads": This part is mandatory please.  It's fun for you to receive a gift, and possibly even to send one, but it's fun for everyone when you share your spoils online.

There is no punishment for signing up and not participating. But I do have a non-participant list running from the last few years (these are people who received, but did not gift). If you're on the naughty list I'm afraid you won't be allowed to participate this time without some sort of...  well, we can work something out.  Just contact me for details or to check if you're on the list.  The last few years we've had we had 100% participation, I'm hoping we can repeat that again for this year! 

Let's see, did I forget anything?

If you're new to the game and looking for gift ideas, here's  Grassroots 2018 Game for ideas.

Also, yahoo mail subscribers once had trouble with the PM system. If in doubt,  "willgrow" and the number three at gmail.com (all one blurb) can be used for more reliable message delivery.

Cheers everyone, and thanks for making the game what it is! 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/19 9:01 a.m.

Done. Now I have to start looking for junk to put in a box. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/1/19 9:09 a.m.

Game on motherberkeleyers. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/19 9:18 a.m.
Hungary Bill said:

A gift that fits in a US Post Office flat rate box (size of your choosing) has been the norm in the past, but is by no means a hard and fast rule.. 

Two things:

1.  I’m IN

2.  Added bold above for clarification.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/19 9:50 a.m.

In.  Signing up for this is the only time Angry will beat me at anything 

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/1/19 9:51 a.m.

I'm totally in, and SOMEONE is getting some good E36 M3 this year.  I downsized from a 40' x 40' AND a 36' x 42' shop to a one-car garage.  That's 3200 square feet down to 288 sf.  Ouch.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/19 9:52 a.m.
Patrick said:

In.  Signing up for this is the only time Angry will beat me at anything 

Ah, the joy of the season is upon us!

RossD
RossD MegaDork
12/1/19 9:54 a.m.

Email sent!

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/19 9:58 a.m.
barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
12/1/19 10:29 a.m.

Woot!

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/1/19 10:32 a.m.

Message sent sir, thanks again for running this.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/1/19 10:44 a.m.

PM sent. Thanks for setting this up again.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
12/1/19 10:48 a.m.

In.

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
12/1/19 10:59 a.m.

Aww yeah. 

Thanks Bill

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/1/19 11:19 a.m.

PM sent. I'm in. Already got a box and several piles of crap.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/1/19 12:17 p.m.

I'm in. I've been getting ready since last year.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/19 1:14 p.m.

I'm in again too!

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/1/19 2:10 p.m.

In in as a rookie!

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/1/19 2:22 p.m.

In again!

... What does the cave of shame have to yield this year?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/19 3:19 p.m.

I'm in. You have mail!

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
12/1/19 4:13 p.m.

Awwww yeah!  I’m in again!  Thanks Bill.  

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/1/19 4:35 p.m.

I feel out of place because I'm new, but I will throw caution to the wind (waves yellow flag like a squirrel on meth.) 

PM sent. Hope I did it right!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/1/19 4:48 p.m.

I'm in! Last year was quite a bit of fun.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/1/19 6:28 p.m.

This is the only good thing about winter. Thank you so much for the effort put forth.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/1/19 6:32 p.m.
Shadeux said:

I feel out of place because I'm new, but I will throw caution to the wind (waves yellow flag like a squirrel on meth.) 

PM sent. Hope I did it right!

Go for it. It's a blast. Take a scroll through some of the older threads, they're all linked together in the first and usually last posts.

Some of us go a little more personal, some go completely random, there have been a few attempts at long running gift gags, the only limits are your imagination in making things fit in flat rate boxes. 

1 2 3 ... 24

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5On31zCJrd6qwsPMFWysFxQbjB3NTrTRoyBuxaAUDPtP9BeI6hZFVqvGlMrMSNOX