1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/20 9:19 p.m.

If you live in a PO Box in Ridgefield WA, (1) I hope things get better for you and (2) the contents of this box probably won't help.

and now that my box is ready to send, I will confess that I did indeed open the box from Jumper K. Balls before I packed mine. When my recipient posts pix in a few days, the eagle-eyed among us will probably spot a couple of minor regifts. Ok, enough talk, let's check out Mr. Balls' package!

on top of the stack is a 1983 issue of Kit Car magazine!  Who knew there was once a Fiero-based Jag E-type kit?!?! Not me.

the rest of the stack was 9 random issues of CarToons, ranging from 1964(!) to 1991. My 14yo and I will enjoy these.

after that was a Car Week Survival Kit courtesy of Hagerty:

Then there was a bunch of stickers that will show up later in this thread because I'm not really a sticker guy:

I *did* cherry-pick one sticker from the bunch below, because it is berkeleying awesome:

that round Vintage Underground is going on MonZora for sure!

then there's a whole bunch of emblems that I am definitely keeping. I think the "deluxe" might end up on the Sonoma tailgate. And I'm not sure what the bulbs are, they look old-school but they also look LED-ish. Potential MonZora additions? I didn't study that trim plate closely and I don't immediately recognize it, but I promise that I did check the fit of those bulbs in the outboard holes.  :-)

Next up is a bunch of things that will definitely be used in MonZora construction:

Roloc (?) Flap discs (top) and 4-1/2" grinding wheels (bottom) and IDK what those things in the middle are, but they're probably super-cool and will transform the way I currently do something into a way more bester way.

2 spools of Lincoln MIG wire and one spool of Lincoln flux core wire, a Fiat wrench, a cool rubber isolator (I'm guessing exhaust hanger), a couple of diaphragm things which I don't recognize but I'm gonna guess are for an SU carb, a hose clamp for braided sheath, and four very Nice bearings.

A variety of tube nuts for 3/16" tube, four stainless hose clamps that are far nicer than any I've previously owned, some Empi tube mounting brackets, an electrical junction thing (yeah, that's the technical term), some throttle-linkage-sized rod ends, some suspension-sized rod ends, and a flange bearing that will almost certainly serve to locate MonZora's steering shaft where it passes through the forward bulkhead.

2 bump stops that will probably go on the Sonoma's new front LCAs, and 2 what I'm guessing are LCA bushings but will probably be repurposed as MonZora engine mounts.

and now something that reminded me of my Dad (a tool and die maker), and also of a thing my Dad used to say: "Buddy, I never got the cherry. All I ever got was the box the cherry came in." He was talking about Bob Costas, of course, but when I saw this box I was like, dang that's a sweet box. Then I gently opened it up and the cherry was still there!

a Lufkin 0-1" micrometer! Seriously, Mr Balls, if this is "random junk" I'd like to see what you consider valuable. :-) I don't know exactly what I'll use it on or when, but it's going into the machinist toolbox I inherited from my Dad.

And if that was the end, I'd say this box of goodies was over the top.

[TV Voice] But wait! There's more! [/TV Voice]

IDK if it's a repurposed bag or not, but I'm going with HOLY E36 M3 FERRARI 250 PARTS!

I'm guessing exhaust hangers?

then there's a set of German Ninja hand to hand combat stabby thingies, complete with illustrations of how to make various stabs:

And finally, what is probably my favorite thing out of an incredible box of things:

That's a Dekon Monza leading a 935 and a Greenwood Corvette through the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca.  In a box full of flair, a T-shirt with twelve box flares!

Thank you, Trent!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
1/5/20 9:51 p.m.
Jumper K Balls (Trent) said:

And a wire wheel hub and knockoff. If that is the MG/Triumph small spline I will turn it into an adapter to run those wheels on a dynamic balancer.

Thanks!

That looks like the wire wheel hub adapter that I sent to Daylan last year.  If it is, than yes it's from the parts lot that came with the 1965 Triumph TR4.  Good to see it circulating around

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/5/20 10:17 p.m.

A box from Furious_E!!!

Lots of stuff in here.  This made for good Sunday morning breakfast table entertainment.....

The best find - a very nice set of Channel Lock snap ring pliers.  This will replace the super crappy set I have, so thank you!

A folding pruning knife

The weighty set - a metal cube that looks like a trans mount, two large U-bolts, and a stereo with two speakers.

A suspension bushing (?), Toyota body plastic fasteners, and a speedo and tach from a ??  I was able to show SWMBO how miles got rolled back, so it was a fun breakfast activity.

The random stuff - large heim joint, radiator clamp, clevis pin, spring and blue PVC tape.

Glass cleaner and Testor paint brushes.  I have some touch up to do so these will be handy.

PA plate, goggles (safety first!), decals and a Carlisle calendar.

Thanks, Furious!!

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
1/5/20 10:27 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

after that was a Car Week Survival Kit courtesy of Hagerty:

then there's a whole bunch of emblems that I am definitely keeping. I think the "deluxe" might end up on the Sonoma tailgate. And I'm not sure what the bulbs are, they look old-school but they also look LED-ish. Potential MonZora additions? I didn't study that trim plate closely and I don't immediately recognize it, but I promise that I did check the fit of those bulbs in the outboard holes.  :-)

Next up is a bunch of things that will definitely be used in MonZora construction:

Roloc (?) Flap discs (top) and 4-1/2" grinding wheels (bottom) and IDK what those things in the middle are, but they're probably super-cool and will transform the way I currently do something into a way more bester way.

2 spools of Lincoln MIG wire and one spool of Lincoln flux core wire, a Fiat wrench, a cool rubber isolator (I'm guessing exhaust hanger), a couple of diaphragm things which I don't recognize but I'm gonna guess are for an SU carb, a hose clamp for braided sheath, and four very Nice bearings.

A variety of tube nuts for 3/16" tube, four stainless hose clamps that are far nicer than any I've previously owned, some Empi tube mounting brackets, an electrical junction thing (yeah, that's the technical term), some throttle-linkage-sized rod ends, some suspension-sized rod ends, and a flange bearing that will almost certainly serve to locate MonZora's steering shaft where it passes through the forward bulkhead.

2 bump stops that will probably go on the Sonoma's new front LCAs, and 2 what I'm guessing are LCA bushings but will probably be repurposed as MonZora engine mounts.

and now something that reminded me of my Dad (a tool and die maker), and also of a thing my Dad used to say: "Buddy, I never got the cherry. All I ever got was the box the cherry came in." He was talking about Bob Costas, of course, but when I saw this box I was like, dang that's a sweet box. Then I gently opened it up and the cherry was still there!

a Lufkin 0-1" micrometer! Seriously, Mr Balls, if this is "random junk" I'd like to see what you consider valuable. :-) I don't know exactly what I'll use it on or when, but it's going into the machinist toolbox I inherited from my Dad.

And if that was the end, I'd say this box of goodies was over the top.

[TV Voice] But wait! There's more! [/TV Voice]

IDK if it's a repurposed bag or not, but I'm going with HOLY E36 M3 FERRARI 250 PARTS!

I'm guessing exhaust hangers?

OK the LED bulbs are regifts from last year. The unlabeled trim piece is from the dash of a Fiat 600

The odd roloc things are actually gasket removers. The diaphragm things are actually firewall grommets for wires and hoses. The unlabeled poly bushings are actually VW rabbit trailing arm bushings but I always saw them as potential motor mounts too. The 3/4" bore spherical bearing is a steering column firewall support. The Haggerty bag was from our generous hosts' "Classic Motorsports" Monterey swag bag. Katie gave it to me. I think those T-bolt clamps were from the intercooler plumbing on my Fiat

Yes those are Ferrari 250 exhaust hangers but all the Italian builders used them for freaking everything. Like they hold the radiators in place on Maserati 3500's and Various dash bits in place on Some Pininfarina stuff from the early 60's. I have found them on everything from Alfa to Zagato.

I did verify the calibration on that mic before I shipped it! wink

I reread your build thread when I got your name and wanted to add some useful stuff. Welding and Grinding seemed apropos.  Inspect that welding wire before use. It has been in my toolbox for like 8 years and although sealed it might have some rust on the outer wraps.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/5/20 10:34 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Ya know that emoticon with the oh E36 M3 look and wide eyes?  Yep, that's what I looked like when you fired up the chain saw since I knew how I packed the box.  "He'll scar the top and stop" I thought.  I really did have a moment where I envisioned the plate as now two jagged pieces being hurled out along with 100 3/16" nuts and bolts......  I'm glad you lived.  Really.

The fasteners are left overs from my Dad's shop.  Built in the 70's, it had the ubiquitous gray steel shelves.  The metal is long gone but I still have all of the fasteners in my nuts and bolts bin.  I figured they would make the box sound, um, intriguing.  The rubber seal is in fact a toilet tank seal.  A "universal" one.  Murphy's Law says that either (a) universal is a big lie or (B) you will possess the only model of American Standard that uses a one-off special-order toilet tank seal.  The Hagerty "True Brit" magnet was the only thing I had that would relate to the Jaaaaag.

The boost gauge is a regift from dculberson.  It was too nice and I didn't have anything boosted that could use it.

Finally, I knew that your kids were involved with you, so I included multiples of the key chains and pens so everyone could get something.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/6/20 8:57 a.m.

I got sent on a last minute trip for work and just got back.  My box is packed and will be in the mail tonight.

AngryCorvair
1/6/20 9:41 a.m.

In reply to Jumper K Balls (Trent) :

With a grommet and washer on the backside, those bulbs will fit nicely in the Fiat dash trim outer holes.  i'll combine them and find a use for them. maybe wire one into the electric cooling fan circuit so i can see when the fan kicks on and off.  and maybe oil pressure warning for the other one. i have a vision of incorporating this into a radio block-off plate, since my dash got weirdly butchered to put a flat front single-DIN radio in place of the OE unit.

thanks again for the thoughtful and useful goodies!

AngryCorvair
1/6/20 11:46 a.m.

and remember kids:

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/20 1:53 p.m.
1kris06 said:

In reply to pinchvalve :

Spark plugs and coolant hose were for a 2004 v6 mazda 6

Thermostat was bought for an 04 BMW 325xit

Hid bulbs are h1/h3 and either 3k (yellow) or 5-6k (bluish white)

Led bulbs are 9006(?) and 3k (yellow)

Headlight connectors are various extras from all the retrofits I've done over the years

Well thank you for everything, it was a lot of fun going through it!

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/6/20 3:36 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

All the stuff

A trespassing sign

A temperature guage from ?? A 1988 BMW 325iS

Wheels from?? A Jeep Wrangler model and a Mini Cooper model.

Thanks Sean! Fun time opening that.

I'm glad you liked the box. In case you didn't notice, the No Trespassing sign has some names on the back. It's been passed around in the GRM New Year's Game the past few years. Enjoy it for a year and pass it on to the next person.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/6/20 4:00 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

Boxed up and heading out to some part of the Glove State tomorrow.

EDIT: aaaaaaaand sent.

Got it while I was gone visiting family over the holidays and just had a chance to open it and take pictures. Apologies for the lousy picture quality, my phone is getting old.

First up, get quality inspected by the local felines.

Next open with safety x-acto finger knife. None of that dangerous chainsaw business.

And right on top we have Art Gallery quality work with a packing list and explainatons on the back. The picture is now hung proudly on the refrigerator.

Content overview:

Highlights include:

"Piston from 460 Big Block Ford I rebuilt for our "Plymford" 24 Hours of Lemons car" That's a keeper. It's getting a place on a shelf somewhere.

"Radical Cassette Tape I did NOT buy myself"

"Beer Mug + a local beverage to fill it with (what cheapskate sends an empty mug??)"

"EGG - This year, our blue-egg-laying chicken "Plucky" donated this fine, free-range, organic, small-batch beauty. Enjoy!" Very cool. Will do.

"Bee Feed Flower Mix"

Thanks for everything. My wife and I enjoyed opening it and reading the backstories.

-Sean

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/6/20 4:19 p.m.

Thanks for dinner tonight Bill!!

I'll be using more paprika next time, and maybe cooking the chicken in broth instead of water, but dang that was good. It's been ~6 years since I've had it, so delicious. 

I used 4 overflowing table spoons, definitely adding more next time

daeman
daeman Dork
1/6/20 4:51 p.m.

I got mail!

Sorry folks, no fancy openings here, I don't have that kind of patience

A package inside a package.... Is this going to be just a bunch of mailing envelopes one inside another?... To lumpy for that, next!

And we're in! let's see what treasure we have.

First up, a 55-56-57 Chevy book, an edition of car craft from March 1964 complete with original subscription leaflet. A pair of Connecticut number plates.

Next up is a Porsche flag which has been signed, the only legible one is grm's own Woody. An expired disability parking permit from Florida and a grm sticker. Also a few cable ties.

A bag of small items, including another envelope.

The bag contained a Swiss army knife, Subaru rally team floor mat coasters, a bundle of plastic? Scraper/razor blades?, Hamden fire department patch, a pelican parts and a mustang club of America stickers and inside the little envelope is a plaque from a 1990 championship autocross series 

Also included was a well loved baseball, a harbour freight multimeter, an eat'n'tool and a vanillaroma tree air freshener

All in all, a great haul of interesting stuff,  I thoroughly enjoyed opening it and going through everything. Thanks very much Mr "Woody", really appreciate it.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/6/20 6:35 p.m.

In reply to ShawneeCreek :

I have one of those pistons! I wonder if all 8 are out there yet, and if we can somehow reassemble them. 

mjrj
mjrj New Reader
1/6/20 6:45 p.m.

A box with a strange message appeard on my porch this afternoon.

I got some opening tools.  The tool on the left, though loud, was no help at all.  The sawzall on the right worked better than anticipated.

Let's see what we got.  Upon opening:

We got:

A map of hazzard county

Red mushroom air filter and clamp

Brass door hinge

A Can Gun (is this legal to bring across state lines? lol)

Some monoprice earphones

A floppy drive cable (!!!)

An INDAK ignition switch

Ball valve

Two relays

3D printed boat

A hot wheels that I'll hide from my wife (because she'll take it out of the package)

A pair of magnetic hammers

But wait, theres more!

Three gold wheel center caps, with one Enkei center piece

Some stickers

A package of Jelly Bellys that have the good and even better flavors mixed in

And a cool ass Porsche 911 sales brochure!

Thanks Minivan_Racer!

Now if you excuse me I'm going to go uhm, test out the general lee.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
1/6/20 7:26 p.m.
"Beer Mug + a local beverage to fill it with (what cheapskate sends an empty mug??)"

I recognize that beer glass. Still have the others in use Volvoclearinghouse?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/20 8:22 p.m.

In reply to daeman :

"Mr. the sane"?! I think you may have me confused with another guy from Connecticut!

I'm surprised that it got there as quickly as it did, especially considering how much you guys have going on down there right now.

I learned a lot about shipping stuff to Australia (I had to completely regroup at the post office and weed out all of the really-heavy-but-truly-useless stuff that I had been saving all year; I had to get it under four lbs.), and I didn't know what to expect from the Customs process.

The other two signatures on the flag are Porsche Factory drivers Earl Bamber and Laurens Vanthoor (Pink Pig #912).

The Tactical Spork may or may not have been regifted from the famous Wally. He sent me one a few years ago out of the blue, but I had already purchased a few on my own, so they all got mixed together.

Hope you enjoyed it, and stay away from those fires!

RedGT
RedGT Dork
1/6/20 8:26 p.m.

Nothing has shown up yet but that's okay cause i just got mine packed up today after a rough holiday season.  Shipping tomorrow.  The stuff i set aside is heavy this year so it's nearly 35 lbs.  Probably not the heaviest though.

daeman
daeman Dork
1/6/20 8:40 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

Ah berkeley! Here I was thinking I'd sleuthed so well..... Ooopps. Sorry Woody! 

Yeah, looking at the post marks, it breezed through pretty fast. Especially seeing as I'm out of a metro area this year. I don't think there's been a year yet where I haven't regrouped at the post office. I take a bag of what I think it want to send and then add and subtract various items till I'm pretty much bang on 2kgs including the packaging. Thanks for persevering and sending what you did, it was great. Customs seem reasonable, but as I said earlier in the thread, it'd only take one Debbie downer in customs having a bad day to possibly derail the whole shebang.

Not going to lie, I had to look those two guys up, Earl's a kiwi apparently. Thanks for the flag, it's very cool.

Definitely enjoyed it, and yours shouldn't be too far away.  Thanks, the fires have eased for now, just need to stay vigilant and keep an eye on any changes.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/20 8:53 p.m.
daeman said:

Not going to lie, I had to look those two guys up, Earl's a kiwi apparently. Thanks for the flag, it's very cool.

I'm pretty sure my daughter had a crush on Earl when we met him. She sat and ate dinner with him next to a food truck. Later she said, "I wonder if those guys have girlfriends..."

I said, "Porsche factory team drivers? I'm sure they have lots of them."

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/6/20 8:54 p.m.

I got a package! Thank you, Indy-Guy!

The cat is checking it out. This is the stupid cat that got up into the stupid attic.

Nice artwork! Hexapus o' Giving.

The box got dinged. The cat has moved off and is visible in the very upper left corner of the picture, wearing a Red Collar. He's got a plan. I'm sure of it.

More artwork, and a note that this box made the rounds in 2018.

Two TR7 patches, Columbus Scottish Festival's British Car Show memorabilia, and a 5th place rally plaque.  

Shop towels, an oil filter, a bottle opener, leaf scented air fresheners,  an old window crank?, some poultry watering nipples, a tiny wrench, three small bungee cords (which will go on the kayak, thank you!), gloves, chocolate coffee cakes, some chocolate, Ford 5.0 swag, a metal bit, a piece of broken pressure plate, wire strippers, two magnets, random gasket, Caddy center cap.

Small cars. Ford GT, Datsun 510 Wagon, The Poo King, Volvo 850 touring car, VW type 3, Jag E-type and carrier. A light switch and more air fresheners, Christian themed light switch cover.

Electrical tape, Combo lock (combo included), handy ratchet and socket set, Indy British Motor Days swag, electrical block off plate, faucet washers (and my plumbing may be old enough that these work), a three into one fire hazard plug, old Craftsman solder gun, two big screws, BMW emblem, light thingy, license plate, another small bungee cord, two Recees cups, a fairly hefty old-style marine clip, another center cap of some sort?, C-Clamp, bag-o-stuff, zip ties, more car show swag.

It's a great haul, thanks again!

He waited the whole time until it was empty.

I think the key is to keep packing the box all year. Having done this for two years now, I'm starting to learn some tricks from seeing what others are getting.

Cadman5
Cadman5 New Reader
1/6/20 9:19 p.m.

In reply to mjrj :

That air horn box opener looks awfully familiar to the one I just got in my GRM NYG box........(that is getting used at least once a week)... but of course, purely coincidental...

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/6/20 10:08 p.m.

Mine is in its way finally and I will post up pictures of the one that came to my house tomorrow.   

mjrj
mjrj New Reader
1/6/20 11:38 p.m.
Cadman5 said:

In reply to mjrj :

That air horn box opener looks awfully familiar to the one I just got in my GRM NYG box........(that is getting used at least once a week)... but of course, purely coincidental...

It may be its matching pair  laugh  I figured it would be more memorable than a beer.  And I'm glad you are enjoying it!  This was my 1st time participating in this too and I was as excited to send the box as well as receive mine earlier today.

Thanks Hungary Bill for doing this!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
1/7/20 6:28 a.m.

In reply to ShawneeCreek :

Glad the package made it safe and sound.  I'm 3 for 3 now on mailing eggs via USPS.  3 years running, all arrived in tact. 

I did some snooping around and saw your old Chevy truck project.  Tried finding any old stuff laying around that might fit- the shifter knob I'm pretty sure will, the radio knobs mights.  Hope maybe the tag lights come in handy too.  

IIRC the gas cap is for a mid-70's Dodge.  I used to have a '63 Dart and bought the cap as a replacement but it did not fit.  

Hope you can find uses for everything!  Happy 2020!

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V4OpOEQGJ8mqUKjd30d4H8NQ5HpXVokIB7R3DfF9tMkVNXYFxNEY1iBoJgpSxx2H