1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 24
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
1/7/20 6:29 a.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to ShawneeCreek :

I have one of those pistons! I wonder if all 8 are out there yet, and if we can somehow reassemble them. 

I think I have 5 left.  I plan on keeping one for myself, so that's still 4 more years' worth to go!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
1/7/20 6:32 a.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:
"Beer Mug + a local beverage to fill it with (what cheapskate sends an empty mug??)"

I recognize that beer glass. Still have the others in use Volvoclearinghouse?

Did you send that to me?  LOL.  I have them in my shop, next to the, uh, "bar", and was wondering where all I got them from.  Yup, still in use!

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
1/7/20 7:48 a.m.

In reply to mjrj :

Glad it went over well.  This is the first year I went with mostly random junk instead of buying items.  The only things I bought specifically for the box is the hot wheels and the screwdriver.  I bought the play mat intending on using it as carpet in a project I no longer have.

The boat is a "benchy" and is used as a test print for 3d printers.  I print one everytime I use a new filament so I have a cup full of them on my desk.

The center cap and lug covers are from a set of 80s vintage enkeis that were similar to bbs mesh wheels.  The wheels were stolen when my old garage was broken into but they left those behind.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/7/20 8:05 a.m.

Package received!

First up, some cultured reading material:

Next a fine array of beer coasters (the Dude abides)

Some cool stickers and a dash plate for my tool cabinet collection.

I've actually been wanting another Bluetooth speaker, and this one has a cool charger/input cable included. Fond memories of evicting WildTangent processes from my parents computer.

USB battery bank, always handy.

Sockets are always welcome, the socket stick was a nice touch.

RC helicopter sans remote. Which is fine, because I love RC stuff and this one can sit on the shelf next to my other one with a dead battery.

This one got a laugh when I open the box. Coils for a VW/Audi, NIB. I do not own any VAG vehicles though, so these will be added to my parts collection and doled out when a friend needs one.

Apparently these go over your side mirrors to stop them from freezing up. Here in Atlanta they will be small tools bags.

A very cool local hillclimb shirt. An excellent addition to my obscure car shirt collection.

Ford has supplied me with Mustang shirts for years, but GM has always stiffed me with schwag. No more, now I have a Camaro shirt! I especially like the "chosen one" background flare on the car.

Thanks kind Seattle-ite for the loot!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/7/20 8:54 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

That's the box I did last year, and Indy thought it was good enough he DIDNT use a chainsaw on it. I am honored. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/7/20 8:59 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I thought the Hexopus looked familiar, but I was too lazy to go digging around for last year's thread.  GIven how much tape is on the box, it may make it to next year!

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
1/7/20 9:18 a.m.

Package shipped yesterday.  I was slacking.....blush

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/7/20 10:43 a.m.

Mine shows delivered on the 28th though the receiver has not posted it here. Hope the package wasn't stolen from his porch.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/20 10:53 a.m.

I got mine on Friday!  I haven't had a chance to write it up yet, I'm hoping to do that this evening. I just got to open it last night.

Pre-Thanks to you-know-who, though!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/7/20 12:27 p.m.

I work from home.  My wife is a teacher.  She and my 5 yr old have been off school and went back yesterday, Monday.  This means that I get back some of my mid-day, self time!  This also means that I have found the time to picture and post about the package I got between the holidays.  

Our 914Driver did a great job.  One thing I greatly enjoy is GRM over coffee in the morning.  I had recently broken a favorite mug and so far, this replacement mug is working out great. 

As for the key chain, I was actually looking for a key chain just the other day and over in this thread, I just bought 3 more salvage cars so more keys are coming.    

Very cool, there are socks to remind me which foot is which.  I think they also intend to remind me to never use the brake!  

I  very much appreciate the "high function"/ "low crap" ratio of the package.  

If all goes well, I will actually get my package mailed out tomorrow.  

matthewmcl
matthewmcl New Reader
1/7/20 12:38 p.m.
Gearheadotaku said:

Mine shows delivered on the 28th though the receiver has not posted it here. Hope the package wasn't stolen from his porch.

Do you want to give a location hint so the receiver knows to check?  I called my PO (just in case it was me) because they won't leave boxes on the porch, but they did not have anything waiting.

Matthew

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
1/7/20 12:51 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

An address in Ann Arbor, MI has not yet received one.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
1/7/20 1:05 p.m.

Mine was delivered to Lawrenceville GA on someone's front porch back on 12/26. Still haven't seen anything posted yet on here either.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/7/20 1:29 p.m.

Haven't seen anything show up yet in Waukesha, WI 

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/7/20 1:33 p.m.

Package thefts do seem to be on the rise lately.  I've sent out courtesy e-mails to Tony and Gearhead's recipients to make sure things arrived safely.  If anyone else wanted me to do the same for them, you can hit me up via e-mail or through this thread.

On the bright side, we've only JUST tipped the half way point for this years game!  I've tallied everything up and only 38 of the 74 packages have arrived.  This means two things:

1) Lots more shenanigans

2) If you haven't seen your box posted yet, chances are you will soon.

On the brightER side, that tally includes my very own box that is sitting right next to me as we speak!  (and it's a good 'un) Pics to follow very shortly laugh

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/7/20 2:20 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill :

Thanks for the perspective on deliveries! It's easy to feel like it's about over when you keep seeing boxes posted!

russde
russde GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/7/20 2:27 p.m.

I received mine...lots o'goodies.

Will try for pics on Thursday.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/7/20 2:31 p.m.
Shadeux said:

In reply to Hungary Bill :

Thanks for the perspective on deliveries! It's easy to feel like it's about over when you keep seeing boxes posted!

Agreed. I was starting to worry. I thought I might have to increase the size and ferocity of the alligators in my anti-porch-pirate moat.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
1/7/20 2:38 p.m.

You all are not alone, My package shows it was delivered on Jan 2nd in Portland have not seen nor heard if it was successfully received. I hope it was not snatched up.  It would be a rude awakening for a thief to get the stuff we send each other.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/7/20 4:25 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

In reply to ShawneeCreek :

Glad the package made it safe and sound.  I'm 3 for 3 now on mailing eggs via USPS.  3 years running, all arrived in tact. 

I did some snooping around and saw your old Chevy truck project.  Tried finding any old stuff laying around that might fit- the shifter knob I'm pretty sure will, the radio knobs mights.  Hope maybe the tag lights come in handy too.  

IIRC the gas cap is for a mid-70's Dodge.  I used to have a '63 Dart and bought the cap as a replacement but it did not fit.  

Hope you can find uses for everything!  Happy 2020!

Good calls. The shifter knob, tag lights, and gas cap all fit the truck. And it will be nice to have an extra pair of welding gloves around. Thanks again.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/20 10:11 p.m.

Alright, as promised, here's my unboxing from a gent we all know and love from [REDACTED]!

As shown above, it had helpful instructions written all over!

But, feast thine eyes upon the insides!

Right off the bat is a new license plate for the wall, and a rally routebook from the FIRM.  I can now proudly display if I'm OK or in need of medical!

From the top, a Mazda Motorsports banner that is going to look great along the top edge of my garage as soon as I can hang it! 

Some obligatory stickers.  I'm especially fond of the Workday Rushhour Champion one.

The next level reveals Duster's broken diff arm from the 2019 Challenge!  It's like I was THERE, man!

I also got a nice oil pressure guage

A hammer store impact screwdriver set which is handy since I broke two of the bits in mine

A Rx-7 shift knob

Cat-5 cable

Some CR3032 Energizer batteries in a baggy with post-its

A contraband plastic bag.  We're not allowed to have them in CT anymore.

Way down we goooooooo to find

Detail brushes which are always handy

Some new utility blades which are always less than handy after you cut off your handy with them

An extra 10 amp fuse and two golf tees

Some paracord

And some Tooty Fruity Tubbs!  I've always wanted these!  I remember, when I was a young tot, asking Santa for them every year, but that fat old elf never delivered.  Now I have them in my posession at last, and I find myself wondering, "what are these things?"

And finally, a Honda box.  Ooooh, quality parts are imminent!

Yay, super glue!  We seriously just ran out of it on Friday

Nice shrink butt connectors

really cool worm clamps with a nice finger screw

A hydraulic thread adapter of some sort?

screw hook and hook to go around it

8 Ferd injectors.  I haven't looked up the numbers yet, but 95+ Mustang?

Thanks for the loot!

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
1/8/20 2:35 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

Two TR7 patches, Columbus Scottish Festival's British Car Show memorabilia, and a 5th place rally plaque.  

I think the key is to keep packing the box all year. Having done this for two years now, I'm starting to learn some tricks from seeing what others are getting.

If you're not interested in the TR7 patches, please let me know what you'd like for them!

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/8/20 9:05 a.m.
LopRacer said:

You all are not alone, My package shows it was delivered on Jan 2nd in Portland have not seen nor heard if it was successfully received. I hope it was not snatched up.  It would be a rude awakening for a thief to get the stuff we send each other.

No kidding. Some porch pirate would be stumped at the crap I sent my victim. Hell, the box is probably worth more than the contents. Just checked tracking, someone should get it by tomorrow night.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/8/20 11:51 a.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

Glad it made it!

You shouldn't have posted about the contraband plastic bag in a public place!

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/8/20 11:59 a.m.

Alrighty, sorry to keep y'all waiting but work has been CRAZY (like I've JUST walked in and people are jumping on be before I can even get to my office type of crazy).  But hey!  That's what lunch time is for!

Here goes:

So right up top I'm seeing a Sunpro Oil pressure gauge (Same as Wonko's!  Look at that!)  GM-ish looking TBI, some delicious looking cookies, stickers, and a pack of hotwheels

First off, I HAVE to try those cookies.  I didn't pack nearly enough lunch today and by the looks of it I'm not going home ANY time soon...

Just as I thought.  D-LICIOUS!

DUDE!!!!!!!! IT's a "Berk it, send it" sticker!!!!!  Did you see that post before you sent this???  That's awesome!!!!  Also in there was some GRM stickers, "Pizza makes the world go round", a pig dude, and some more snacks (I picked the right day to pack a light lunch!).

So right away I'm trying to think about what car I want that "Berk it, send it" sticker on.  The RX8 is my pretty car, but definitely the spirit of the sticker.  But then again the 4-runner is a bit of crash, bash, duct tape, and repeat.  But I just dont think it fits...  More to follow on that one.

Some AWESOME hot-wheels scores.  My favorites are easily the Porsche 959 and the Audi Quattro (that's not coming out of it's box.  Sorry kids).  That 959 has always been a bit of a soft spot for me.  I lived most my life near Seattle, and remember when Bill Gates imported one of these bad boys before they got DOT and EPA approval (And it was Silver too!).  Some day, when I'm rich, I'm going to do something like that.

That IS a GM TBI!  I'd recognize one of these things anywhere!!!  Circa 1990 I'm guessing?  I buddy of mine had an IROC Camaro 305 TBI.  When we graduated boot camp he drove it to ourschool and the two of us spent HOURS getting it to run right, just to cruise town and head back before it died again (rinse repeat).  THAT thing is going on the trophy shelf.  All those months of sneaking around the baracks parking lot working on a car we weren't supposed to and I never got a suvenier (until now)

There's that Sunpro oil pressure gauge again (this is going in the 4-runner), and what I'm guessing is a clutch throwout bearing but to what, I couldnt say.

OOh!  Speaking of Chevrolet goodies, look at that BOOK!!!  I LOVE old chevrolet maintenance paraphanalia.  I've got the perfect spot for this too.

(under the covor shot.  C-o-n-f-i-d-e-n-t-i-a-l....  Must be French!)

Center cap to the answer, decent sized o-rings, allen key set, bottle coozie, fork seals, and a cone filter keychain without the keychain!

Fun story about that cone filter.  So on my last visit to the states, Burrito, Mezzanine, and I were tinkering around with the throttle body linkage* on Mr. Mezzanine's Fiat X1/9 and wouldnt you know?   Mr. M had one of these stuffed in his crank breather port as a vent filter! laugh  Good times

*about that throttle body linkage...  Mr. Burrito and I may or may not have turned his "cable to throttle body" attachment into a remotely moveable (via gas pedal) knife.  To this day it's the deadliest throttle I've ever seen (and an absolute riot in person)

Magnetic lamp (this is going to be super handy.  I have absolutely ZERO garage lighting), stylus pen, a zippo (that i took a picture of the wrong side of). construction pencil, and what look to be stick on go-pro mounts (with charging cable and case attachment!)  Sweet!  I just picked up a hero-3 and a hero-4 black off of E-bay super cheap!  I was planning on making some super sweet track day videos this summer in the RX8!  Thanks man!

Please send more cookies

OOH!  More stickers!  Speedway, JEGS, Danger Box, GRM, and more snacks!

Thanks RevRico!  I've already started using some of the goodies.

I've added the Chevrolet book to the shelf where his buddies live.  I got those two other books at various points in my life (the Motor Service 1965 manual was given to me by the guy who sold me my old Impala, and I found the other Chevrolet book at a Half Price Books in San Antonio)

The Throttle body injection went up with a few of my other trophies

(also pictured from this game was a "GRM Master Electrician" plaque.  I dont care if it was just something Mr. Wallens had laying around.  As far as I'm concerned, GRM thinks I'm a master electrician) laugh

And darn it, you don't get all excited about a "Berk it, Send it" sticker and then go back and forth when one arrives.  This bad boy went right on the RX-8 and there she'll stay.

No one who ever reads it is ever going to understand it out here, but that makes it just that much better yes

Besides, I think it fits a rotary perfectly.  Chuck an apex seal?  Berk it, send it.

Cant keep the temps down.  Berk it, send it.

Oil puking out the bottom?  (See photo, below)

And I mentioned earlier that I had been working late.  Well this morning it was "up and right back to it" but at 5am I realized there were no clean spoons for me to eat my cereal!

What did I do?  Well, I'll tell ya!

I reached right into that GRM gift box you sent, and pulled out them fork seals.  They were a little loose at first (which is understandable as they were meant to be used in the garage, and I was in a kitchen) but that's where them big 'ol o-rings you sent came in handy.

Wedging two of them between the tangs of the fork, and then over the fork seal I was able to get that fork sealed up tighter than a drum!  She didn't drip milk or nuthin!

Thanks to you I was able to enjoy my morning froot-loops in all their delicious glory (grm shirt unplanned)!

That is, until the eldest Hungarling got involved...

Cheers buddy, and thanks again!

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 24

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JtqJHj8cbBvHW7iyyvw3yGAn84kZXf5UINapfScdWdISkh3ssIPHmL8dcsOOEp6b