1 ... 21 22 23 24
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/20 7:48 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

I'm glad you enjoyed opening it, the wife and I have gotten into the habit of grabbing goofy stuff to throw in a box wherever we go which is how the pencils and some of the stickers got there.  The electric adjustable wrench is from the collection of fad tools my mother and mother in law we're getting me for Christmas every year.  I don't think it's ever done anything but hang on the wall next to two others I got the same year.  The hat lights are especially hand for keeping conversations short at night.  Eventually I was asked not to wear them at work.  

Keeping pigeons from driving buses is a full time job, but so far I've been fairly successful:

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/20 8:21 p.m.

We did have one pigeon induced collision last year:

https://abc7ny.com/5134121

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/20 8:32 p.m.
Wally said:

Keeping pigeons from driving buses is a full time job, but so far I've been fairly successful:

That looks like a superb pigeon. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
2/2/20 10:31 p.m.

In reply to Shadeux :

Glad you enjoyed the box! Sorry it took so long to get it to you. Between the wife being pregnant, working 65 hours a week, and house hunting, things have been a bit hectic. The turbo is the oe ko4 off my Mazdaspeed 6. It is probably challenge ready as is or could be rebuilt and re used. Was getting some shaft play and lots of blow by so out it came. Of course the replacement is already doing the same thing, so next year someone will probably be getting another ko4 because I'm going bigger next time. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/2/20 10:35 p.m.
Wally said:

We did have one pigeon induced collision last year:

https://abc7ny.com/5134121

"Life imitates art."

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/4/20 7:02 p.m.

I've been one of the foot-draggers in posting my unboxing. Sorry for the delay, but life got hectic for a while what with work, weather, an unsolicited job offer (requires relocation) to mull over and eventually turn down, my shared-workspace shopmates bringing home new projects that we needed to make room for, etc! Let's just pretend that I wanted to drag out the fun a little longer...

The outside of the box seemed to indicate that it came from a veteran of the game. As a noob, I wasn't totally hip to the box decor, but got into it and had fun checking over the various surfaces:

The box arrived in good shape, apart from a repair that looked like it took place before departure:

The box made a little noise, but not too much. As far as heft goes, I would rate it medium. I knew that I got a good amount of loot, but wasn't anticipating opening it up to find brake rotors or starter motors. Medium suprise, large box...heehee...laugh

OK, the contents. There was a letter inside, with an option of reading later or spoiling the surprise and going first....more on the letter later! We will start off with the outside of the letter and some tools, specifically some organizers with a nice hefty magnetic base, and some much-welcome abrasives! Sweet, I can use this stuff!

Spankin-new NASA water bottle, universal button, plus a sampling of the included artwork. The art lined the entire inside of the box, plus most of the packaging, so it was hard to photograph all of it, but it was quite colorful. The letter revealed that it was courtesy of LopRacer's little ones.

Ah yes, finally found the 10mm socket. Got some cool lanyards, matchbox cars, PEZ Leia, and what looks to be a card holder thingy. Getting the FR-S was awesome, as I love my full-sized one!

On to the parts! Hoo boy, it's getting really good now! BW cap and rotor for a late-60's/early-70's inline 6 GM, and maybe some IH and Jeeps as well. LopRacer explained in the letter that he had been saving some stuff from years past for re-gifting, thinking it may eventually find a long-term home. There was an auxiliary light with mounting hardware. I still haven't had a chance to power it up and see if looks like a fog, driving, or reverse light type of pattern, but will do so soon. There was also a painstakingly-removed car alarm which the letter explained came from wife of LopRacer's car. I also don't have much use for car alarms, but was thinking it could be really fun to see what I could do with on the dumpster at work...maybe scare the crap out of the determined meth-heads who keep breaking in and making a big mess, only to find that the dumpster is full of.....guess what?....garbage! I'm tired of fixing the lock on the dumpster and picking up the mess, so I get a chuckle out of even just the thought of this alarm blaring as they try to creep in at night. The Lancia valve cover is gorgeous, and probably my favorite part of the box. I've always had a soft spot for Italian stuff....maybe I should start project shopping and build a car around a valve cover?

More goodies to come. Toys, pens, mini-flashlight, skull eraser, mini screwdriver, and snacks...shhh...don't tell my doctor/dentist!

The motherlode....the stickers and patches! I don't think I even got them all in the pic as I kept finding more hiding in the box! There are some awesome ones in here, and some of a good vintage, like the CART sticker and Oldsmobile tech patch. I'm definitely going to put these on the toolbox and work shirt!

Thanks, LopRacer, had tons of fun with my first year of the GRM game!

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
2/5/20 6:44 a.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 :

You are quite welcome. I am glad to hear the box made it safe from the dreaded porch pirates. They have become such a problem of late. I am equally glad you enjoyed the haul. The single light was part of a pair driving lights on one of my cars that lost its mate to a parking curb. I admit many of the "best bits" are from previous years specifically the valve cover. I enjoyed displaying it this last year and decided I would share the awesome. I whole heartedly approve of the reuse of the alarm on a dumpster. The thought just makes me laugh.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/5/20 7:36 a.m.

In reply to johnp2 :

Glad that you enjoyed and a belated happy holidays. 

David S. Wallens
2/5/20 6:03 p.m.

My turn. My box arrived. First, thank you, ae86andkp61, thank you.

Lots of variety.

And a nice note:

Springs--two of them:

Everyone needs hood latches:

And bits:

Fast Bug:

David S. Wallens
2/5/20 6:07 p.m.

Stickers!

More stickers:

And some rad reading material--classic stuff.

Classic Option:

Thank you, thank you!

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/13/20 1:37 p.m.

Hoo wee!  One week and no more updates.  Well folks, I do believe that is just about it for this year.  To wrap things up, here's some numbers from this years game:

This year we had exactly 73 people participate which is another record now for 6 years in a row!!!!

Of those we also had a record number of "international" participants as well, which I love as I think it brings a unique flavor to the game (especially if that "flavor" is vegimite laugh)

Of course this year, like those before it, isn't without a few hiccups.  Of the 73 packages sent through the mail (and subject to the abuses thereof) 67 recipients posted their loot to this thread.  Of those 6 or so who weren't able to post, I was able to verify that all but one (yes one) had successfully received their packages.  

Now as of yet, we dont have a formal punishment in place for those who receive their gifts but dont post.  But I would like to do something, if we could, about the one guy who didn't get a gift at all this year. 

So, in an effort to help encourage the poor recipient that got ghosted (now and for any ghostees of games future) we've created the aptly named "Booby Prize"! 

That is, a number of generous forum members have stepped in to make sure everyone comes away from the New Years Game with the same bad taste in their mouth.  Now if you'll bear with me for just a little bit longer, I'd like to ask that you keep this thread pinned so our Booby Prize recipient can bask in all that is unfortunate and share his boxes (yes, plural) O-Junk with everyone who's made this game a record breaker 6-years running.

Cheers guys!

russde
russde GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/13/20 2:16 p.m.

Finally trying to figure out linking/uploading pics to properly thank my gifter/stalker.

Oklahoma license plate with a Carmax tag

Bondo scraper, wax thing, rope thing, fuel line disconnect, coozy, timkin bearing...for?, socket, random spark plug

can coozy, 510 Hot wheel, screwdriver set, air fitting, o-rings, Craftsman wrenches? seriously? awesome

A Craftsman impact...to go with the air fitting obviously (going to try this on my wheel rotation this weekend); haynes F150 manual

Hockey pucks, googly eyes, (maybe my favorite of all) a Skillcraft pen, stalker gift (that's a coin holder that fits e36 cars...like mine)

A gaggle of stickers, a tire gauge, and another stalker gift: 1157 bulbs that fit my car

Hot Wheels!!! in a cigar box

And an awesome letter

It was great to participate, and the 'crap' was fun and useful

R

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/13/20 2:57 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill :

So, ghosted as in porch pirate, or did somebody bail? Or worse, like die?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/20 3:11 p.m.

I volunteer to personally kick someone in the junk if they didn't send a box out, dead or alive.  Being buried is no excuse to not send a package out or leave instructions in your will

Hungary Bill
2/14/20 1:43 a.m.
Shadeux said:

Bail, i think.  No package received, and not responding to e-mails.

NoviceClass
NoviceClass New Reader
2/17/20 11:28 p.m.
russde said:

Finally trying to figure out linking/uploading pics to properly thank my gifter/stalker.

can coozy, 510 Hot wheel, screwdriver set, air fitting, o-rings, Craftsman wrenches? seriously? awesome

A Craftsman impact...to go with the air fitting obviously (going to try this on my wheel rotation this weekend); haynes F150 manual

Hockey pucks, googly eyes, (maybe my favorite of all) a Skillcraft pen, stalker gift (that's a coin holder that fits e36 cars...like mine)

And an awesome letter

It was great to participate, and the 'crap' was fun and useful

R

Glad you enjoyed everything. Took more stuff to fill the box than I had imagined. Wondered if the impact worked since I had never used it.

BTW: The Bearing is one of the rear bearings for a GM 2500HD, ya know, just in case the need ever arises.

daeman
daeman Dork
2/17/20 11:48 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

They let you drive on the mountain? Hahaha. I managed to miss this post and the Bathurst 12hr unfortunately....

Now I just need to hurry up and get a shed built so I've actually got somewhere to hang that wonderful flag.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
2/18/20 3:56 p.m.
Hungary Bill said:

So, in an effort to help encourage the poor recipient that got ghosted (now and for any ghostees of games future) we've created the aptly named "Booby Prize"! 

That is, a number of generous forum members have stepped in to make sure everyone comes away from the New Years Game with the same bad taste in their mouth.  Now if you'll bear with me for just a little bit longer, I'd like to ask that you keep this thread pinned so our Booby Prize recipient can bask in all that is unfortunate and share his boxes (yes, plural) O-Junk with everyone who's made this game a record breaker 6-years running.

Cheers guys!

One Boobie, incoming! 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/20 4:03 p.m.
Mezzanine said:

One Boobie, incoming! 

Another one shows as delivered today. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
2/18/20 4:53 p.m.
Hungary Bill said:
Shadeux said:

Bill, email the address of whoever didn't get a box this year.  My Garage is overflowing with junk, aaaaaah, I  mean good stuff I can send.  That way no one is left out.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/18/20 5:01 p.m.
EvanB said:

Another one shows as delivered today. 

Received.

Also received an anonymous from CT.

Mezzanine said:

One Boobie, incoming! 

Did you name that bird Karma?

Shall I post as packages arrive, or wait and make one post......

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/18/20 8:01 p.m.

It appears that Anonymous from CT might be Woody laugh

Woody said:
gumby said:

wink

And with that,

PPE, torque stick, requisite GRM sticker, and a fortune cookie-esque slip of paper

berkeleyin-aye-right it would. Thanks not-so-anonymous!

That leaves the second package, from EvanB

In a MEDIUM box, nicely done!

• Zip ties (metal tabs!)
  • A couple safety box cutters
  • Lead ballast in the form of sticky wheel weights (new!)
  • Impact driver extensions
  • Automotive wipes
  • TIG gloves
  • Various abrasive and cutting wheels
  • Giant Q-tips
  • Assorted electrical fuses, circuit breakers(?), connectors
  • Ford door ajar switch
  • Extension cord end
  • Large rubber coated p-clamps
  • ⅜" drill chuck for a taper stock. Has been welded on, no key
  • Air hose end
  • Magnetic strip
  • Various fittings for nylon air line
  • Some little hex widgets
  • More ballast, this time steel rings with tapered inner diameters. These look like dies for a crimping tool
  • A large sheet metal hole cutter with an arbor style I am not familiar with
  • A tool roll of stubby wrenches in proper SAE increments

Thanks Evan, this is a helluva haul! Now tell me about these hex widgets:

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/20 7:35 a.m.

I had some random heavy things laying around so I decided to go for weight this time. 

The large steel rings are bowl adapters/spacers for an Eaton hydraulic hose crimper. 

The cutter is a proprietary shank for Hougen mag base drills, probably not useful for anything. 

The hex things are supposed to be for stuck/stubborn fasteners. The idea is that you put them over the hex and use an air hammer to chisel on the flat part sticking out to vibrate them loose while they turn. I have no idea if they work as intended. 

Hungary Bill
2/19/20 12:07 p.m.

AWESOME!!!!!!

2-down, 3 inbound laugh

Hungary Bill
2/19/20 12:13 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:
Hungary Bill said:
Shadeux said:

Bill, email the address of whoever didn't get a box this year.  My Garage is overflowing with junk, aaaaaah, I  mean good stuff I can send.  That way no one is left out.

Dude, definitely appreciate the offer.  This year we've got the guy well covered by 5 ghosts of games past, but with any luck I'm hoping this will be somethign we can opt in or out of when we sign up (ie:  Indy here, address is..., no intl shipping, in for the boobie prize).  This way, should another unfortunate soul get ghosted, we can load the parts cannon and fire.

Cheers!

-Bill

1 ... 21 22 23 24

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DnFbGWD08HdmAvoWw1oN5CCb7JXDotcpTQXZSNm4A9po3EA0UUy72nH6osA44e2d