1 ... 23 24 25 26
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/9/21 9:05 a.m.
preach (fs) said:

I have not tried it yet. Oddly looking forward to it though.

Kukri is from Nepal for real. Made out of a "Jeep" leaf spring. I think it was all of $50.

Awesome!  Is this something that can be ordered via the interwebz, because that is way too cool!

Also, I forgot to tell you:  The pins in this picture?

Those are grenade pins I found on base.  There's a huge wooded area I go trudging through when the various fruit trees are ripe, and it looked like the soldiers had been doing some training in the area.  There were also a bunch of spent 9mm rounds, but I was worried some detector somewhere would pick up on them and then the box would never make it. :)

2/9/21 9:09 a.m.

Hoo-wee!  Sorry for the absence everyone.  I got my butt kicked mid-last week by the virus and our house is just starting to get back to something that resembles normalicy (we're under quarantine).  I just looked at the sheet and it looks like there are only 5 boxes left in the game (one participant is due to post in late February, so really only 4 are unaccounted for).

If we dont have any updates by Friday, I'll send a friendly reminder to try to catch the participants on the weekend.

Cheers guys!

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/9/21 4:43 p.m.

Yes the kukri was purchased on the internet. I will get the link from my wife for you.

Cool bit on the pins. I never would have guessed.

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/9/21 10:43 p.m.
russde said:

I've been remiss, but super busy. My box arrived awhile ago and I haven't posted it...so here goes.

A well decorated, veteran box, about to be violated by my trusty Spyderco Endura

Stickers, a Mass license plate and some plastic...things

Lots here. Awesome green dead blow hammer ( I literally keep telling myself to buy one, and forgetting when I'm in an appropriate store ),  a knife that has seen some drywall duty (made me lol), plastic hole covers, a nut driver and a bit driver, a vacuum and an oil pressure gauge, a (?) compressor crankshaft/connecting rod assembly?, and an 'I have no idea but it reminds me of a distributor plate'.

A 550lb chain hoist that found me imediately thinking "Oh, I can lift _______ with this"

Sockets (no 10mm that I have found yet), screwdrivers, more plastic hole plugs, metal band clamps (that don't come apart once you put them together (oops), and two psychedelic lug nuts

Another literal lol, an FL400 oil filter...and because I always expect the worst...the next pic shows it's new ;)

Many thanks to my secret santa...it was great fun opening this. The BMW matchbox is going on my mantel (and I"m not a matchbox fan, just love that 3.0CSL)...some will find it's way to another GRM'r and some will be well used and appreciated in my garage.

Russ

Hey, that's it! Glad you enjoyed it. It looks like that box survived the trip surprisingly unscathed. The plastic things are disposable spreaders for Bondo - they come in 50 packs, so I have a bit of a surplus. That deadblow is from Trusty-Cook, they had a buy one get one free promo a while back but I don't actually need 4 of them, so thanks for taking it off my hands! The distributor-ish thing is actually the base for a quick release - the portion that bolts to the steering column. Unfortunately the other half is probably still bolted to the steering wheel someone stole out of my car. The crank is actually from a mid-70's Hodaka dirtbike. I didn't realize that it was reverse thread when I was disassembling it - oops. Much of the other stuff, including the hoist, is from boxes past. Those metal zip ties are pretty great, but yeah, pretty permanent once you put them together. Be careful if you trim the end, they will cut you.

As for the hot wheels - I looked for an E36, but had no luck, so I figured the 3.0CSL was a worthy substitute. 

Enjoy!

preach (fs)
2/10/21 3:56 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

thekhukurihouse.com

2/15/21 1:18 p.m.

Good news!

I now have Gmail confirmation that two of the last four packages have been received.  For the remaining two that are assembled but not sent, COVID has unfortunately put the halt on the operations.   Both restrictions are set to lift soon, though, and all should be well soon enough.  Me, I'm just glad to hear that everyone involved is healthy and will receive a package (again!) this year.  You guys are awesome, this game continues to be my favorite time of year, and I want to send a big thank you for everyone who's participated in this years shenanigans.  So, without further ado, I'll leave the next posts for the final four.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
2/20/21 10:39 a.m.

Victims package dropped off.

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/1/21 7:00 p.m.

The Post Office refused to deliver a box. "Sorry we missed you," when my wife was home all day and every other box gets dropped at the door.  Last year, the same thing happened with my GRM box, so I am crossing my fingers and will stop by to pick it up tomorrow.

3/2/21 4:29 a.m.
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) said:

The Post Office refused to deliver a box. "Sorry we missed you," when my wife was home all day and every other box gets dropped at the door.  Last year, the same thing happened with my GRM box, so I am crossing my fingers and will stop by to pick it up tomorrow.

Your postal carrier must be a game participating GRM member who knows boxes like this cant be left to chance.  It's the only explanation...

3/2/21 8:31 p.m.

Woo Hoo! I got a box!  It came from Morristown TN.  It doesn't have a name on it, so we all get three guesses on who sent this and the first two don't count.  So, here is the box with an opening implement at a couple of helpers.

23 lbs. of carefully packed goodness.

And now I have a box, that is not empty, with a cat in it.

By the end I had an empty box with no cat in it. She is still a kitten, so she is still learning how all of this is supposed to work.

Okay, on to the goodies.

First up is a Trackside Companion with a GRM bumper sticker that is currently in there as a bookmark.  The is good stuff in that book.  I will commit that to memory and then perhaps send it off to one of my nieces, who is currently dreaming of and pricing her first track day.  Also included are some picnic utensils that will go in my car.  A RockAuto magnet and a the first indicator of the quality of stuff in this box.  Notice that it is not random, unidentifiable parts, it is random new parts, still in packaging, with part numbers, and instructions!

Five bearings, crank or rod or something, but with part numbers I can find out exactly what they fit.  A set of studs (con rod?) and some very large lock nuts.  Two bearings, in paper envelopes so I am not sure the size, yet, and a ball joint of some sort. Also, there is a smaller bolt with some sort of fancy washer thing.  Mysteries with part numbers.

The same bearings as the above photo, three big castle nuts, and some very sturdy, short bolts that look like flywheel bolts except 12 seems like a lot, but then again, I work on small stuff.  A couple axle bearings, a fuel fitting, two similar (but not the same) round metal things and a rubber plug.

This is an overlap pic, but it has two oil seals (axle?) and cam arm for something cable actuated.

A sweet car

A blurry pic of some tools, including a socket set with a 10mm and an additional 10mm. There is a letter opener, some bits, little socket drive wrenches, two deep sockets and a 3/8" extension, bracketed by a brand new battery terminal/cable cleaner and a good spring link.

Spider gear set, with marked spacers, instructions, and a small tube of RTV.

Bolts, some matching (I think) nuts, and a clip for holding a speedo cable or something.

A pretty complete set of combo wrenches in metric.  These will go in the garage to let kids start learning to fix bicycles.

Some super thin SAE combo wrenches.  These are thin enough that they should work on limited access areas on my lathe, so these will likely turn into lathe tools.

Flex socket combo wrenches

All in all, I got some pretty sweet stuff in this box.  Some I definitely will be using myself, some may get regifted or sent on to any GRMer that can put good parts to use.  I'm feelin' pretty good.  This box was definitely worth the Covid wait.  Thanks!

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
3/2/21 9:41 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

It's mostly old parts and rust.

I rummaged through the crap I had gathered up from my dealership days for the parts, which are mostly 8.25/9.25 diff parts. The circular-ish aluminum piece is a mustang clutch quadrant I picked up years ago in a parts lot. Ball joint I think is for a gm w body. Rod bearings for a 5.7 hemi. Wrenches are a "re gift" from my dad a few years ago and I already have like 4 sets of everything. Matchbox/hot wheels was I think destined to give to my dad as a gift but my youngest  opened it for me before I could gift to him. The Ford box is an obsolete way to dial in a hunting idle on most of idle air control motors as back then you didn't have many if any options. Plastic utensils were made from years gone by in one of my injection molding classes. "Castle nuts" are pinion nuts.

Glad you enjoyed.

Edit- the "fuel fitting" is a vent for a 9.25 rear axle. I swear I used to do a complete swap out once every month or two...

3/2/21 9:49 p.m.

You made the utensils? That is way cool. I made a couple things in a lab group in a plastics class, no injection molding, though. I do have a couple plastic parts I designed, so there is that.

By the way, there was remarkably little rust in the box, even by south west standards.

Thanks again.

moxnix
moxnix Dork
6/17/21 7:37 p.m.

After attempting to contact my sender a few times without luck the main man decided to send me something so I would not feel left out.  Thanks to Hungary Bill for both putting this together and the additional work on this.

Somebody loves them some USPS.

Classic GRM NYG.

Well padded.

Something to drink, a little car, a USB endoscope camera and a bunch of stickers.

Some peppers in a jar that were wrapped up and a better view of the endoscope.

One of those universal disc brake turner things. and lots of stickers.

More stuffs.  A beer? paprika (I can always use more of that), pepper paste I think. another matchbox car. A valve. An oil filter.

One of the smaller boxes has a carburetor in it.  Maybe I can actually get my one carbed vehicle working this year. 

Oil filter box includes a few coins. It looks like the oil filter might be for a Fiat, Lancia or Yugo? A nice Pratt and Whitney key chain in the background.

That matchbox car we could see a bit earlier. an 11MM reversible ratcheting wrench (Now I have to find out if I have anything that uses 11MM).  A Zender badge.  Not sure if it is from the a zender car or what. spark plug, magnet, Some things I am not sure what they are.

Ten Billion Dollars and an info sheet on a beer.

Thanks again Bill.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/21 7:41 p.m.

11mm is basically 7/16", so you may have a car that uses it :)

moxnix
moxnix Dork
6/18/21 10:21 a.m.

I you were using chrome last night you might not have been able to see the pictures.  That should be fixed now.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/18/21 11:35 a.m.

Wow, not only does Bill organize the exchange every year, he covered for someone that dropped the ball? 

I can't begin to express how impressed I am. 

6/28/21 1:26 a.m.

In reply to moxnix :

Awesome!!!  Yeah, man.  When I found out you didnt get a gift, it coincided perfectly with a visit to the states we scheduled.  I hauled all that junk in my checked baggage laugh

So I was completely copying ClockworkGarage with the postal compliments, and it looks like it worked!  Best insurance you can buy and doesnt cost a thing.  So about the "gifts":

The "something to drink" (if you haven't yet already) is quite possibly the worst thing you're going to put in your mouth voluntarily.  The Hungarians describe it as "Jagermeister, but herbal" and it's accurate, but god is it awful!  They drink it for both pleasure and medicinal purposes.

The Porsche and the Porsche club stickers were both re-gifts from games previous.  I figure since you "did a dumb" recently, they would feel right at home in your place with your new wheels.

The USB endoscope was a "fluff purchase" from e-bay a while back (I needed to use up the last $3 or so of a gift card I received) and it worked surprisingly well!  Camerafi was the app I used.  I've since upgraded to a proper bore scope

That jar of peppers is a BEAUTIFUL thing.  Goes wonderfully well in gulyas or any soup, really.

The disc brake turner was another $3 purchase from e-bay and again worked surprisingly well.  But, like the bore scope, I've since upgraded.

The Paprika paste is used to make gulyas.  You'll need half a tube per batch, and the recipe is in this thread (if not here, then last years has it for sure).  The powdered stuff is smoked locally.  That bag would have been a lifetime supply before we moved here, but now we seem to go through it very quickly.

That carburetor is from a Simson 50cc motorcycle (their motto is "Simson qualit" which has me worried).  Two of my buddies bought one each and do all sorts of silly stuff and short road trips.  Somehow my garage always ends up as the meeting and maintenance point for them and they leave droppings behind.  That carb was one of them, and there's an electronic ignition laying around here somewhere as well.  The coins are Hungarian, of course.

That oil filter...  I have no idea where that came from.  I looked it up by its part number once and it doesnt seem to match any vehicles we've ever owned...  Now it's yours!

That 11mm reversible was found in a junk yard in San Antonio (by far my favorite yard, ever).  That dang thing has moved with me to Hungary, back to Tacoma, to Kuwait, and back with me to Hungary.   I've used it exactly zero times laugh 

That Zendcr badge was on the back of my Alfa GTV6 when I bought it from Slovakia.  I'm pretty sure it was home made.  It was the first thing I took off that darn car (the zender kit soon followed).

Those things that you're not sure what they are are the spark plugs from a Pratt & Whitney F117 engine.  40,000lbs of thrust gets touched off by those two bad boys.

That 10-billion dollar bill (congrats on your newly acquired billionaire status!) is another fluff purchase from e-bay.  I bough a small handful of those a while back for giggles (and I'm still giggling).

Good times smiley

preach (fs)
6/28/21 5:59 a.m.

11mm is a Porsche bleeder at least on my Cayman.

Bill kicks ass.

7/24/21 2:16 p.m.

Secondary target long since acquired... ICNBNYGB launching Monday.

Two heroes, contained herein, are too late to save Christmas, but are still in time for winter...

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/21 8:36 a.m.

Those things that you're not sure what they are are the spark plugs from a Pratt & Whitney F117 engine.  40,000lbs of thrust gets touched off by those two bad boys.

That is really cool!!!  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/2/21 10:55 a.m.

Just in time too, mine's all boxed up for this year; just need the victim's address.

daeman
daeman Dork
8/9/21 7:39 p.m.

And just like that a mystery box from a far off land appeared on my doorstep!

Seeing as Aus post is dragging the chain a bit, I'll have to put it to one side for a few days until a very well  taped up box works it's way thru US customs and the USPS system to you.

Thank you very much Matthew! 

8/9/21 7:49 p.m.

No need to wait, go ahead and open it. You sent yours, so that buys your ticket.

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/9/21 9:19 p.m.

What is this, Christmas in July (or August, whatever)?

daeman
daeman Dork
8/13/21 4:16 p.m.

Nah, it's mostly my fault this dragged out so long so I'll wait, call it penance hahaha

Besides, you should have mail today 

1 ... 23 24 25 26

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y8teYHD7ElcPvhptPDDUJTKe7H5Kq4uNvRiDWm8aVYHrqQXYljka1t2uVrPFY67l