1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17
barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
1/25/23 3:08 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Eh. At least you're working on yours. Mine is languishing out on the back 40, slowly donating parts to my dads fleet. 

moxnix
moxnix Dork
1/25/23 4:22 p.m.
11GTCS said:

Thanks to my mystery benefactor from Virginia, well done!  I'll confess I looked up the address and will report that we have a true dyed in the wool GRM'er here; street view came up with a tow pig hooked up to a trailer with a legit race car on it parked on the street in front.  Spinning doritos may (or may not) be involved.  wink   Thanks again, this made a gray snowy Monday a lot more fun.

Glad you enjoyed it.

moxnix - Virginternational man of mystery 

moxnix
moxnix Dork
1/25/23 4:31 p.m.

Thanks to my gifter from Idaho.  Based on the general location and the Interstellar Sledgehammer sticker maybe antihero?

This box looks a little beat up but thanks to the tape it made it here A-OK.

A bag of? A license plate frame from one of GRM’s favorite car dealers. And a filter from everybody's favorite filter brand for a Mini Cooper.

Opening up the bag I found a shirt that feels nice and soft.  It looks big but says XL and after trying it on it is on the big side for me.  I’ll have to figure out if I know anybody stupid that wears that size.

A rare CD that you can’t even buy on amazon.  Last Chance - And then it rains

I listened to it a bit on amazon music so I did not break the seal on the original CD and it was not bad. 

A chainsaw chain.

A Pioneer FH-X700BT car stereo.  Including a car harness that I don’t know what car it fits and a mic.

Something I am not sure what it is.

The required stickers, a tape measure, a 9/16ths wrench, Ring video doorbell, some Genuine Chrysler 4707670AB Oil Pressure Switches, Ford badge, wheel centercaps, necklace, knobs, suction cup with a pig on it, guitar pick.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/23 4:48 p.m.

Peterborough ON, prepare to be underwhelmed!

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/26/23 4:10 a.m.

oof, hey guys!  Sorry I haven't been on this week, I was super sick.  I saw the conversation about packages being received and not posted, and with only 15 packages left unopened in the game we are entering the twilight hours, so I will send a quick courtesy e-mail to everyone who has yet to post (if you haven't received yours yet, let me know too so I can send a courtesy e-mail the other way as well).

That being said, it is a busy time of year for people, and this game does often run into February so we're not quite "behind the ball" yet.  Just staying on top of things.

Good times, and cheers everyone!

-Bill

P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff)
P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff) GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/26/23 7:44 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Peterborough ON, prepare to be underwhelmed!

Damn, you guys really get screwed on international shipping... my package heading south cost less than half as much, and is only a little bit lighter.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/26/23 7:53 a.m.
moxnix said:

Thanks to my gifter from Idaho.  Based on the general location and the Interstellar Sledgehammer sticker maybe antihero?

A bag of? A license plate frame from one of GRM’s favorite car dealers. And a filter from everybody's favorite filter brand for a Mini Cooper.

Opening up the bag I found a shirt that feels nice and soft.  It looks big but says XL and after trying it on it is on the big side for me.  I’ll have to figure out if I know anybody stupid that wears that size.

I listened to it a bit on amazon music so I did not break the seal on the original CD and it was not bad. 

A chainsaw chain.

A Pioneer FH-X700BT car stereo.  Including a car harness that I don’t know what car it fits and a mic.

The required stickers, a tape measure, a 9/16ths wrench, Ring video doorbell, some Genuine Chrysler 4707670AB Oil Pressure Switches, Ford badge, wheel centercaps, necklace, knobs, suction cup with a pig on it, guitar pick.

Lots of junk there from my box from last year, including the box.  Guess the recipient really liked the stuff. lol  The black plate is actually the backing plate for the Ring doorbell

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/23 8:35 a.m.

Man I wish this board worked with my image hosting, its the only place I can't share pictures. Pressing on...

January is so busy for me, I am renaming it JAMMEDuary, so apologies for the delay. The box was pretty awesome.

First up, a plate for my collection from wild, wonderful West Virginia. Recent too. 

Then these fog light housings? Soap dishes? Turn signal brackets?

This Uber cool old can of Old Export. I bet it was delicious. 

German markings, I will assusme this is from a 911 Carrerra 2.7 RS. 

Ferrari F40 brake light wiring.  

As a proponent of eye safety, I thank you. 

Ok, this one is SO COOL. I am a boat owner but suck at tying knots, this is going to be my new obsession for a while. 

Always good to have zip ties, thank you muchly. 

Really Germany? Olablassschraube? Three esses in a word is too many. 

I have already hung myself from an I beam with a helmet. 

The obligatory Rock Auto Magnet, nice. 

An IPA of some kind...

Oh my, a 22B STi, one of my favorites. 

And an RS1600, so cool despite the FnF tie-in. 

Super handy, I will use all of these. 

OK, I get it, my car stinks. 

OMG so handy, already in use. 

Might be good for 4:20

Always appreciate expanding the sticker collection

I can finally turn up the volume on my Pioneer tape deck from 10 feet away! 

I will find a use for these somewere...

It's a 1/2" socket! Love it. 

Organic, free-range grease. 

I am SO going to pretend to be a concourse judge with this...

And a really awesome BMW M shirt in a size that I had to laugh at. (#fatguy) My son will love it though. 

A fuse wiring kit, very handy and will get used at some point for sure. 

For my necklaces.

So that I can keep my hands soft and supple

So much great stuff, a million thanks to Placemotorsports for putting this together. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/26/23 9:23 a.m.

I'm the worst. I sending my box out later today so I can open the box I got last week.

1/26/23 9:38 a.m.

In reply to P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff) :

i briefly considered crossing Detroit-Windsor and shipping via domestic Canadian service, for the adventure more than the cost savings.  i decided the 4 hours it would take were worth more than the $ i'd save, so i bit the bullet on USPS.  :-)

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/26/23 10:18 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

Glad you enjoyed it! That beer is pretty tasty and sells out fairly quickly.  Maybe pour a little in the old beer can and not worry about tetanus for a while. lol

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/26/23 10:54 a.m.

In reply to Placemotorsports :

There's a bunch of great stuff in that box, so I wanted to pass it along. I don't use licence plate frames, I live in the woods and off grid so my security system more looks like a 4 ft tall Fuffberg named Cosmo and things that go boom, everything I own has a decent stereo in in. There was a lot in the box I kept.

Antihero
1/26/23 11:03 a.m.
moxnix said:

A chainsaw chain.

It is from me, good guess!

The shirt is from my wife's business, she has a couple t shirt designs she added to her stable of handmade jewelry and crafts. So far that one has been her most popular actually.

The CD is from a previous band, 2/4ths of Interstellar Sledgehammer actually ( guitars, bass, and vocals). I actually didn't know it was up on Amazon, someone else handled distribution. I'm glad you liked it.

Chainsaw chain is brand new, I bought the wrong one and couldn't return it.

Enjoy!

Antihero
1/26/23 11:08 a.m.

Here is my box from QuasiMofo. I could say that I used a bunch of skill to find out who sent it but......it was on the address label lol.

Very useful stuff here, I literally was on the way to the store for glass fuses when I got this box, so great timing there.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/23 7:49 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

So the box was light of fun and that was more on the fact that my wife tossed a bunch of stuff in recycling that was under all of that stuff. We laughed about it but... 

The radar detector is one of two that I bought from a silent auction at work... for $5... for the pair. I kept the MAX360 and left the 3 for you... they both are awesome!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/23 8:11 p.m.
moxnix said:
11GTCS said:

Thanks to my mystery benefactor from Virginia, well done!  I'll confess I looked up the address and will report that we have a true dyed in the wool GRM'er here; street view came up with a tow pig hooked up to a trailer with a legit race car on it parked on the street in front.  Spinning doritos may (or may not) be involved.  wink   Thanks again, this made a gray snowy Monday a lot more fun.

Glad you enjoyed it.

moxnix - Virginternational man of mystery 

Next year I think I'll pay for a drop box shipping service.  Unless I just so happen to get my dream recipient and then it's game on.

1/26/23 9:03 p.m.

Box received! But I can't open it tonight. :-(

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
1/26/23 9:06 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Hmmmm. How many BBC parts could you fit in a Large flat rate box to send to frenchyd?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/23 9:24 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

Rules don't state that you are limited to one Large Flat Rate box.

1/26/23 10:53 p.m.

Ok, I lied, there's no way I could wait til tomorrow. And I'm glad I didn't, because I got a couple solid LOLs out of this box. P5Racer's NYG game is strong.

Let's start with the package itself. It was beautifully wrapped in brown paper and decorated by perhaps the next winner of Canadia's Got Talent. I immediately recognized this as Canadian power trio Rush, of whom I am a huge fan:

and clearly this is the artist's interpretation of a gleaming alloy air car which is at least two lanes wide:

Now for the box inside the paper. I immediately recognized the cars and the spokesmodel:

And I thought "dang, this takes GRM NYG stalking to a whole new level. And I appreciate that." Then I flipped the box to open it and it all made sense. This is the box I gave to wawazat a couple years ago. So, allons y, mes amis, let's get to the contents!

First we have a bunch of stickers:

Then, what every box of junk should include: junk food! A Coffee Crisp bar (my first) and some Canadian Smarties, which are not the same as USA Smarties. Mais non! These are more like thin m&m's, only sweeter. And they're good for the environment, mmkay, because the package est en papier!

Then there's this gauge:

which may have contributed to:

yep, broken turbo bit. And here's a fun fact: there's a single human hair on this part, which I'm totally going to plant at the scene of a crime someday! Next up is a mystery device which I'm  going to figure out what it is / does:

Then there's a set of spark plug wire holders that are definitely going on MonZora:

plus a Hot Wheels Pro Touring Camaro, a NAPA u-joint (I haven't looked up the application yet), a scale that works for relative measuring but not absolute, an on-off-on switch, and a Lincoln Mercury Division trim piece which I think was probably a trunk lock cover:

and perhaps the most ironical regift ever, the speedometer which I NYG gifted to wawazat:

which was the OE part of my Dad's 58 Chevy station wagon, seen in the background of this pic (in front of his 56 Chevy, which is in front of his lead sled 51 Kaiser, which is in front of his 60 Dodge. Yep, Dad was GRM too):

I'm relieved to see that neither one of the interim owners racked up a ton of miles on it. Here's some not very subtle foreshadowing: somebody's getting this berkeleying speedometer in their NYG box next year!

Thank you, my Canadian brother, for making this years NYG box one for the ages!

1/27/23 7:42 a.m.

Glad you enjoyed it... my son, who is almost 5, did the artwork. Apparently the 3 figures are dinosaurs, and the other side is a tiger... I wish I had his imagination.

The mystery device is a thermal switch (https://www.canadarobotix.com/products/2196). It came in a 2 pack, and I only needed 1.

Surprisingly, the failed turbo compressor wheel and the oil pressure gauge are completely unrelated. The turbo is off my race car, but the gauge came in a used panel that I got for reasons I no longer remember... the hair could belong to any number of people who've been in my house or garage in the last 6 months.

The ruler, U-joint, wire holders and Lincoln badge are all re-gifts from last year as well.

1/27/23 7:49 a.m.

In reply to P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff) :

This is further proof that I have no business reviewing artwork. laugh

did you know before you sent it that the speedometer was originally from me?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/27/23 8:14 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Next up is a mystery device which I'm  going to figure out what it is / does:

that ought to set MonZora back a couple more years 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/27/23 8:32 a.m.
DarkMonohue said:
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

First, I have to issue a warning.  DO NOT play Tetris with Dorkmonobrow.  You will lose.  This package was filled so tightly I don't think he could have fit a pencil in it.

So many amazing things!  Tools, matchbox of my old Bonneville, a license plate, bearings, belts, books, a temp gauge, a projector beam headlight... Good gracious, what a haul.

Thanks, dude!  Brilliant.

And I tried figuring out what this one is... to no avail.  Care to let the cat out of the bag?

Thanks!  I only stumbled onto the game last month, so I didn't have much time to prepare and wasn't sure how badly this was going to bomb.  Funny, I was thinking as I taped this up, surely there's something else we could stuff in there...something better...

The wire harness goes with the projector headlight and its high-beam mate.  They're all from a Lotus Elise, if I remember correctly.  It came through a shop I was working at many years ago and I got the pleasure of replacing a few parts, but not of driving it. I salvaged the lights and the harness from a broken headlamp assembly just in case.  Apparently this is the case.

What else, let me think... 

• There's a 3/8" speed handle that came from my boss's dad's friend's estate, so clearly an heirloom piece. 
  • A magnetic key holder in case you actually need one of those, and it's NIB if you'd rather make a killing on eBay. 
  • Possibly the world's cheesiest "metal" gas and brake pedal dressup covers for impressing the girls at the Tastee Freeze (and I think there are some uninspiring Toyota nameplates in the poke with them, but can't remember.  Certainly no jerky.)
  • A Chilton's Pontiac Tempest and GTO manual I picked up on closeout in an Icelandic bookstore in 1992 so I'd have something to read in English.
  • A Beetle Owner's Survival Manual that, for the life of me, I cannot remember purchasing, or why I would have.  
  • A pocket-size sharpening stone, perfect for losing in the messiest junk drawer in your toolbox.
  • To sharpen with the stone, an already perilously sharp (and I ain't kidding, these things are scalpels) Victorinox Classic SD pocketknife attached to a Miller Welding sheetmetal thickness checker.
  • A genuine Washington State license plate from an '86 MR2 I bought and sold a long time ago.
  • A Federal Mogul tapered roller bearing, purchased for the pinion on a Salisbury type MGB rear diff, but fits all kinds of stuff I don't plan on owning any time soon.
  • An unidentified aluminum plate or bracket that came in a box of miscellaneous CJ5 stuff, and two V-belts for the same  V8 CJ5.  Choose your own adventure here.
  • A slightly playworn Hot Wheels of a '65 or '66 Pontiac Bonneville, and I'm sorry there weren't more, but this is quite literally the only HW I could find that was even remotely relevant to the Curtis73 Automotive Experience.
  • A box of cotter pins I bought from HF because I didn't remember having purchased the very same box a few weeks prior.
  • A roll of heat shrink with the same backstory.
  • The new-in-box VDO oil temperature gauge I couldn't resist buying at the secondhand shop.
  • A power window motor for a Porsche 996, I think, that rolls up and down, but doesn't do the let-me-roll-this-down-a-little-first dance when you pull the door handle.
  • A mystery handle on a piece of mystery aluminum.

And in the blue parts bin box:

• A timing belt idler/tensioner for "Toyota", likely the much-maligned 3VZ-E used in 1980s and 90s pickups and 4Runners.
  • Most of a very cheap line flaring tool, but no dies, because why would I have the dies?
  • Oddball baby rod ends from, gosh, I don't remember, maybe a hood prop rod or shifter cable or something.  Probably from the Elise, so I can't just throw them away.
  • A pair of muffler clamps in the ever-popular 2-3/4" size.  I don't know either, man... but there they are.
  • All the glass fuses I had sitting around and won't likely use, because even Jeep had gone to ATO blade fuses by the time they built my J-20.
  • A tiny baggie with ten or so little tiny carabiners that I like to use for keyring knives and other things that you'd use a carabiner on if only you had one small enough.  Exactly the kind of handy garbage I can't resist buying in bulk.
  • Clutch alignment tools that nobody has ever really needed or will ever need again, ostensibly suitable for amateur "medical examinations" at your own considerable risk, but look, I'm not your doctor, we all make our own decisions here.
  • An assortment of oxygen sensor bungs, suitable for holding most major brands of sensors or for use with a slingshot against that damn orange cat that won't quit crapping in the pea patch, or peeing in the rhubarb, or whatever it's doing, it's not my cat and I'll be damned if I'm gonna let it ruin another harvest.

Curtis73 had the unfortunate luck of being my Guinea pig this year and was very gracious about receiving an artfully curated box of uselessness.  Thanks, Curtis!  Now that I have seen what some others have done, I will try to be a little better prepared for next year's round.

Now where did I put that damn Lillian Vernon catalog...?

The speedwrench is something I've never owned, but I have an LS to finish and soon to hopefully have a K24 that I'll be stuffing in an AE70 Corolla.  The timing belt tensioner is going on my old wood lathe.  It's this home-built oak thing with a 1/2" bolt ground down to a point on one end and an old drill chuck on the other.  I found a belt to slip on it but it's too hard to adjust, so the timing belt tensioner will become a lathe belt tensioner.

The muffler clamps would have been perfect about 6 months ago when I was adapting a 3" muffler to my 2-3/4" exhaust in the van.  I guess I'm adding a resonator now :)

The clutch alignment tool as also ribbed for my pleasure with a handy string loop on the end so it can't get.... lost.

My local stray cat is black and white, but the dog likes to chase it, so he pees himself about twice a week.

You're an awesome guy and I was honored to dig in your box.

1/27/23 9:13 a.m.

I had no idea... last year was my first time taking part in this, but I figured re-gifting a few things was part of the tradition.

1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UWCS3bTWxPHjKPqRMj0J8I2RG40lYCUApZIqzxVcBEMGqeUpLIbgqU8WL2uCrYZr