1 2 3 4
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/6/20 11:00 p.m.

Glad it's going well. Also, I touched everything in your office. (Okay, not really.)

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/7/20 8:00 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

You better give me back my red stapler.

Colin Wood
3/7/20 8:04 a.m.

Travel Update:

Good morning from New Mexico.

My brain is confused because of the changes in time zones, but that's not going to stop us.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/20 8:09 a.m.

Nice!

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/7/20 9:39 a.m.

Last time I did something like this, I upsized into the 26 or 28 foot to get onto the medium duty truck chassis. I think I did it because those had cruise whereas the van body size don't. It was a great decision - the ride and brakes were so much better. Even if the van is a quarter full I'd do it again and trade the extra fuel and rental expense for the ride comfort. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
3/7/20 10:15 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Glad it's going well. Also, I sneezed on everything in your office.

Fixed it. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
3/7/20 10:22 a.m.

Buy some Hatch green chile's in New Mexico......

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
3/7/20 12:21 p.m.

I entirely approve of the way New Mexico welcomes you.  No cheap-ass signs there. 

Colin Wood
3/7/20 4:13 p.m.

In reply to glueguy :

That's good to know. This trip would be much better if our van had cruise. Both our right ankles are pretty sore from modulating the gas pedal.

Colin Wood
3/7/20 4:17 p.m.

In reply to Stealthtercel :

Yeah, they even decorate the overpasses with cool motifs so they don't look like as much of an eyesore.

Colin Wood
3/7/20 8:25 p.m.

Quick Travel Update:

It's been a while, so I figured I owed you guys an update. We're in California, and we're about 1 1/2 away from LA.

Almost there.

Colin Wood
3/7/20 11:33 p.m.

Travel Update:

We made it to Los Angeles.

Three days, 2,500 miles.

Of course, we still need to unpack everything (that's tomorrow's job), but we're celebrating the best way we know how:

A good night's rest.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/8/20 3:30 a.m.

Congrats!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/8/20 7:42 a.m.

Congrats!  I was gonna predict that the wheels would fall off either the truck or the trailer before you got there, but I didn't want to jinx ya!  I've had almost universally crappy experiences with U-Haul, but it looks like you lucked into a decent truck.

Time to start looking for a rust-free California classic.

LarryNH
LarryNH GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/8/20 8:31 a.m.
1988RedT2 said

Time to start looking for a rust-free California classic.

Rust-free describes almost every California car.  I had to take my kids (California natives) to the East Coast to see rust on cars.  They were shocked cars could be on the road with so much rust.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/8/20 8:40 a.m.

In reply to LarryNH :

Honestly I'm amazed when people post up pictures of rusty cars just ten or twenty years old.  Even here in Virginia, I rarely see rusty vehicles.  I moved south in the mid-1980's, and having lived here all this time, I figured rusty vehicles disappeared with the 1970's.  Apparently not.  The northern tradition of marinating vehicles in salt water during the winter still causes rust.

LarryNH
LarryNH GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/8/20 8:49 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Between abrasive sand and marinating salt, I understand why some people put their nice, newer, summer cars in storage from November to June.  I see rust on minivans more than any other modern vehicle.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
3/8/20 10:13 a.m.

You are a good brother! 

Colin Wood
3/9/20 9:29 p.m.

Travel Update:

It's been really fun, and, even though I really only got to visit for a day or two, I'm ready to head home. I wish nothing but the best for my brother, and if it's your thing, I'd appreciate it if you kept him in yours thoughts, prayers, or whatever else you can throw his way.

Without trying to get too philosophical, I have a new found understanding of just how big this country is. I wouldn't trade the experience I had for the world, but I also can't recommend trying to cross the country in a moving van towing a car in three days--you need to give yourself more time.

Anyways, I just got a bite to eat here at LAX, and now I'm relaxing by the gate. See you soon Florida!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/9/20 9:49 p.m.

Safe travels home. Can't wait to hear all about it. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LzS6PuAIYsRV5ssYwKQQCSaJzy2kQEy3iR8bgdEZBvReIYrA6mxNpI1XKyFIPVI4