doitover
doitover New Reader
8/4/08 12:23 p.m.

I bought GRM's 318is project car of a couple of years ago this weekend. Very nice, first e30 I've been in. It has a little trouble idling and that aux fuel pump whines like a dentist's drill but in an 18 year old car I can be pretty tolerant. The clutch pedal is nice and high something my soon to be ex MINI can't say.

Just sharing my excitement. I'm planning to megasquirt it and hopefully remove the aux fuel pump. Other than that I just plan to commute in it as long as I can make it last.

Last line, Jim and his family are really nice people.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
8/4/08 4:44 p.m.

still got the downing atlanta?

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
8/4/08 5:09 p.m.

My old car! That was one of my favorites ever, and that's out of a LARGE field of former cars. Take good care of it, and enjoy.

Margie

doitover
doitover New Reader
8/4/08 8:31 p.m.

Yes, it's very nice. i'll be saying that a lot for a while.

belteshazzar wrote: still got the downing atlanta?
doitover
doitover New Reader
8/4/08 8:38 p.m.

That is saying a lot. It's picked up some dings I think since you had it, I plan to fix those along the way as rewards for good behavior. (and when I say I, I mean I'll be writing the checks)

I have one question for you about the car if I may. It has trouble idling. I haven't had it long enough to say under what circumstances, sometime it does, sometimes it doesn't. Was it that way while you had it? I'm wondering if it's something I should fix before the megasquirt.

Thanks,

Marjorie Suddard wrote: My old car! That was one of my favorites ever, and that's out of a LARGE field of former cars. Take good care of it, and enjoy. Margie
Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
8/5/08 9:19 a.m.

I noticed the comment about the idling, but don't remember any problems. I mentioned it to Tim, and he didn't have any ideas. I can ask Rennie next time I see him--he knows/knew the car well, and may have some suggestions. What, exactly, is it doing?

I'm sad to hear it's got dings now, but glad to hear you're fixing them. It was always such a tidy-looking car.

Margie

doitover
doitover New Reader
8/5/08 9:46 a.m.

For an 18 year old car it still looks pretty good.

Other than idling the car runs fine. It needs some throttle to stay running though. I noticed that the fuel pressure was set to 45 psi, the last article on it said it was at 32 psi. I dropped it this morning and it seemed to smooth out the idle but after breakfast it was worse than before.

I'll be dropping it off at a shop next week. It probably needs a good looking over anyway.

Thanks,

Marjorie Suddard wrote: I noticed the comment about the idling, but don't remember any problems. I mentioned it to Tim, and he didn't have any ideas. I can ask Rennie next time I see him--he knows/knew the car well, and may have some suggestions. What, exactly, is it doing? I'm sad to hear it's got dings now, but glad to hear you're fixing them. It was always such a tidy-looking car. Margie

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cb27VNbWj70iZ0Ova2ZhavgW1u9bL1dt2RPtF3x1TbuZz9RZ4PvFHdR3H5LllGzE