1 2 3 4 5
DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/23/10 2:02 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: I'm almost embarrassed to say it but.. There's a spot in my heart for a BC Rich Warlock. Shawn

One of the coolest guitars I ever played was the one that the other guitarist played in our college band. It was a BC Rich Warlock from the custom shop that he had built to order. IIRC it was mahogany (and therefore even heavier than a Paul) and it faded from translucent red to black. It looked eVil. That thing plugged into a triple rectifier could repel zombies.

mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
7/23/10 2:06 p.m.

I don't know a damn thing about guitars, but I lust after a triple black les paul. blacked out pickups, black pickguard, black everything. I think Slash had one at one point.

zomby woof
zomby woof Dork
7/23/10 2:15 p.m.

My son plays this

He loves it, but I've never liked the feel of a Les Paul.

The guitar I liked best was a cheap Ibanez I played almost 10 yrs ago. I can't remember what it was called, but it looked like a smaller version of the X. I should have bought it, but I wasn't playing much at the time.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/23/10 2:30 p.m.
zomby woof wrote: My son plays this He loves it, but I've never liked the feel of a Les Paul. The guitar I liked best was a cheap Ibanez I played almost 10 yrs ago. I can't remember what it was called, but it looked like a smaller version of the X. I should have bought it, but I wasn't playing much at the time.

See, I don't know if I've ever felt anything that felt as "right" to me as a Paul. Strats, even real nice ones, just feel too light, fragile, etc. to me. They feel like the wiper stalk in a GM.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
7/23/10 2:34 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: White penguin. I just want one. I had a Eliot Easton that I sold like a idiot. Rickenbacker 6 string electric mandolin. Its my grail, I only know of 6 of them were made and the lead guitarest for Tom Petty has two of them. I hold out hope though. I got my Steinway K52 for 2.5K rebuilt. Its from 1919 but a new one in the same wood and spec was 60K.

Any Rickenbacker mandolin. I want it.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
7/23/10 2:37 p.m.

Speaking of Elliot Easton:

Take THAT Diamond Darrell!

May sound really, really weird, but I prefer the Epiphone Pauls/SGs over the real deal.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
7/23/10 2:38 p.m.
mtn wrote: Any Rickenbacker mandolin. I want it.

Tell me about it. I actually have a reward out to some of the bigger buyers if they find me the right one.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
7/23/10 2:40 p.m.

Hotlink like it was hot.

Speaking of this I should have never sold, my freakin 424ce Taylor in Koa.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
7/23/10 3:01 p.m.

For something that's a bit hacked, I wonder what an appropriate price for this is. Any of you gretsch guys use/like the GFS retrotron?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170515978235&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

alex
alex Dork
7/23/10 3:09 p.m.

I've played a few retrotrons. Nice pickup, and better than most you're gonna find in a MIM tele anyway.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
7/23/10 3:16 p.m.
zomby woof wrote: The guitar I liked best was a cheap Ibanez I played almost 10 yrs ago. I can't remember what it was called, but it looked like a smaller version of the X. I should have bought it, but I wasn't playing much at the time.

Ibanez Destroyer? Sort of looks like an Explorer with some extra bumps. Phil Collen played one in Def Leppard during the Pyromania era. I had a coupel of those in the past: a cheaper bolt-on neck version as well as a nicer set-neck version.

My current quiver: '72 Les Paul Standard, '80 Les Paul Firebrand, '81 Les Paul Studio w/ Kahler (my main guitar), '95 Fender Strat American Standard (guitar #2), '94 Explorer Custom Shop, 90's ESP Horizon and a few acoustics and no-name beater electrics. At one point when I was playing in a band, I had 22 guitars. I'd really like to pare the number down to 4 electrics, so a couple of the above have been 'for sale' in an off-hand way.

...and as bad as that sounds, I remember from a guitar thread from years past there's another guy here who has me beat by far.

I don't much lust after gear anymore... I lust after time to play/practice...

That said, I've always had a soft-spot for an old Dean Elite or a BC Rich Eagle...

alex
alex Dork
7/23/10 3:31 p.m.

I've pared down to 9 stringed instruments. A few electrics, a flattop, an archtop and a tenor banjo. Gotta pickup and upright bass soon.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
7/23/10 3:56 p.m.

My 1978 Odyssey

Handbuilt in North Vancouver.

Mahogany / Maple thru-neck.

Ebony fretboard.

All the brass hardware is hand-made, two of the knobs went missing years ago.

Two Dimarzio humbuckers with phase switch and coil tap (It's wired like Jimmy Page's guitar)

zomby woof
zomby woof Dork
7/23/10 6:08 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
zomby woof wrote: The guitar I liked best was a cheap Ibanez, I can't remember what it was called, but it looked like a smaller version of the X.
Ibanez Destroyer? Sort of looks like an Explorer with some extra bumps. I had a coupel of those in the past: a cheaper bolt-on neck version as well as a nicer set-neck version.

It looked kinda like that, but I remember it being smaller. It was really cheap, like $240 new.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Dork
7/23/10 6:10 p.m.

I'm probably going to sell my Legacy at some point. It's got a 12" radius and a slightly-thinnish/medium neck. I like a smaller radius (9.5 or 10" works best for me) and a thicker neck. But the quality is absolutely amazing.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
7/23/10 7:18 p.m.
intrepid wrote: Try out a Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele. They are insanely good (don't take my word for it, check the TDPRI forum and read the gushing reviews) and they sell for $349. If you can get over the fact that it says Squier rather than Fender on the headstock, you will get an insanely good guitar (as good as an American standard by many accounts) for short money. -Chris R.

Yep these are quite nice I actually picked one up a few months ago and I'm starting to learn to play again.

RossD
RossD Dork
7/23/10 7:30 p.m.

I was going to buy a $400 Gibson Es-335 but when I got down to the store it was gone, so I regretfully bought a Washburn jazzbox. Shortly after buying it I didnt like it, and the gold trim was peeling... So I put it in the paper and this guy kept bothering me to traded for his telecaster. He finally brought it to my house and we trade straight up.

This was before they reissued the Telecaster Deluxe. Now I can't find one for less than $2k. Score for me.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/23/10 7:39 p.m.

I had one of those. It was awesome, just sold it for $500.

I have one of these an Ibanez R300 ragtime. I finally pulled it out of the closet today after a 4-5 year slumber. Damn the action is high and my fingers are weak.

alex
alex Dork
8/1/10 12:48 p.m.

Poopie, you might be able to get this for $500. I'd test drive it for you.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/1874872033.html

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/1/10 1:36 p.m.

I'm not sure even poop is man enough to drive a pink tele.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
10/14/10 12:39 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: My 1978 Odyssey Handbuilt in North Vancouver. Mahogany / Maple thru-neck. Ebony fretboard. All the brass hardware is hand-made, two of the knobs went missing years ago. Two Dimarzio humbuckers with phase switch and coil tap (It's wired like Jimmy Page's guitar)

I gotta mind like a steel trap, I tell ya'. Not my style, but if you're into the exoctic wood, weird shape, gold hardware thing:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/msg/2004155704.html

Oh, and assuming it hasn't sold already, I'm picking up one of these on Monday:

Gives me a tele shape with a neck I'm more comfortable with, good duncans outta the box, and while I'll probably never use the floyd, the locking nut will be a nice-to-have.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof Dork
10/14/10 12:57 p.m.

I saw a new looking Epiphone Strat copy (how odd is that?) for $100 in a second hand shop a few weeks ago. It seemed awfully cheap for what is essentially a Gibson guitar, no?

They also had a Warlock for a few hundred bucks, too.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
10/14/10 1:12 p.m.
Zomby woof wrote: I saw a new looking Epiphone Strat copy (how odd is that?) for $100 in a second hand shop a few weeks ago. It seemed awfully cheap for what is essentially a Gibson guitar, no?

Hard to say without knowing the models. Some Epi's are junk, relatively speaking. Some are really really close to a Gibson. I know a "Martin guy" who likes the Epi's better because he thinks they are 95% of the performance at 50% of the price. He thinks Gibsons are junk though, so YMMV.

We've had by my last count 4 Epi's over the years, some very good, some not so good. Currently the only guitar that is "mine" is an Epiphone Frontier, a 1994 reissue. I love it. It retailed for 1200, we bought it new-old-stock in about 2007 for $400. If I were to buy a comparable new guitar today, it would be about 800-900.

I've come to this conclusion with Epis: You get what you pay for, and sometimes a LOT more.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
10/14/10 2:18 p.m.

Excuse the crappy pic in my crappy office, but I just picked this up dirt cheap. It's an early '70s Epiphone EA-250. I've already ordered a roller bridge for it (since the bridge is missing), and if anyone knows where I might be able to get an original vibrato bar and other tail pieces, or have a cheap Bigsby they'd like to get rid of, please let me know.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
10/14/10 2:36 p.m.
alex wrote: Rhodes, Farfisas, other suitcase analog keyboards...yes. I'll take 'em.

I got a really early Farfisa Pianoragan (serial #1000) from my ex. We had been together for years, and were having a yard sale. She pulls it out of a box and puts a $5 sticker on it, and I pretty much flipped out! I had never seen it, and it was upstairs in a box the whole time. I got custody of it after the break up. It's pretty much just like this one.

Edit: I was looking for a better pic and stumbled upon this caption on someone's Flickr account. "something I spend a lot of money on on ebay, had to get fixed, and when you turn it on it smells like it's smoking a pack of cigarettes"

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OmdwoW62glyw7ZlGeTdLt85ub9Ohefjn1nYDszoqb1hf4EJUfYoVYUattwclc1q9