1 ... 3 4 5
Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/12/15 8:12 a.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

No one is that good. That is the Monster Cable of guitars. That is the one they give away to some rock star so he can be seen carrying it.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/12/15 8:39 a.m.

If I'm paying 5-figures for a Les Paul, I'm buying one of Neal Schon's original prototypes :

http://www.bananas.com/neal-schon-gibson-les-paul-black-beauty-pre-owned/dp/19524

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants MegaDork
2/13/15 12:14 a.m.
mtn wrote:
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants wrote: PS: berkeley no I wouldn't spend 6 or 7 hundred bucks on an Epi. If you're spending that much, get the real deal and you'll never lose money on it, IMHO.
Generally I'd agree with you, but the one in question was made in Kalamazoo. Because of that, he'll never lose money on it. Aside from that, the Gibson Spirits appear to be double the price, even though they are identical--even the place of manufacture.

Yes. I get that some hipster might scrape together $500 to buy that thing due to its rarity and coolness. (Checking...yup...still for sale...SHOCKING!)

My point was that you can buy a gibson faded, or a MIM strele, or perhaps even USA for $500-$600...a guitar that doesn't have wore out ass frets, electronics, etc etc etc today, put the bitch on CL tomorrow or 10 years from now, and it'll go for at least that much in a DAY.

Also, single HB doesn't exactly scream "versatile." But WTF do I know?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/13/15 1:47 a.m.
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants wrote:
mtn wrote:
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants wrote: PS: berkeley no I wouldn't spend 6 or 7 hundred bucks on an Epi. If you're spending that much, get the real deal and you'll never lose money on it, IMHO.
Generally I'd agree with you, but the one in question was made in Kalamazoo. Because of that, he'll never lose money on it. Aside from that, the Gibson Spirits appear to be double the price, even though they are identical--even the place of manufacture.
Yes. I get that some hipster *might* scrape together $500 to buy that thing due to its rarity and coolness. (Checking...yup...still for sale...SHOCKING!) My point was that you can buy a gibson faded, or a MIM strele, or perhaps even USA for $500-$600...a guitar that doesn't have wore out ass frets, electronics, etc etc etc today, put the bitch on CL tomorrow or 10 years from now, and it'll go for at least that much in a DAY. Also, single HB doesn't exactly scream "versatile." But WTF do I know?

Single HB isn't versatile, sure--I was never arguing that. But an Epiphone that is LITERALLY the same exact guitar as the Gibson is going to hold its value, assuming you buy it right. Now, show me the same model Gibson for this price. Heck, show me the same model epi for cheaper. If this was a MIJ something that was going for a premium simply because it was MIJ, I'd agree with you. But it is a Made in USA. Can you buy a better guitar for the money? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean that it is a bad buy, and I doubt it would be a cooler guitar.

But, what do I know? I've only bought and sold over 30 guitars, including the obscure and not valuable, and the mega-valuable (was a part of a 5-digit deal, anyways).

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
2/13/15 12:43 p.m.

I would think that the problem with the Epi isn't that it's it's a very good value for a pedigreed made-in-america guitar. It is. it's a fine guitar. The problem is that no one knows about them, so no one is looking for them, so you're going to be stuck waiting to find the "right buyer". Which sort of wipes out a lot of the whole "it'll never lose value" thing. It may not lose value, but you could be stuck with it for a long time trying to find someone willing to pay what you think it's value is.

I can think of several $500 guitars I'd take over it off the top of my head. Yeah, it's tough to find anything Made in US for $500, but I don't think that one is really the answer.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/13/15 10:14 p.m.

So, buy a guitar yet?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
2/14/15 12:57 p.m.

Yepper, Epi SG, seems perfect as my initials are SG also, got it for a steal, case, strap, Epi amp and cord for $200.

Thanks to Mike for a lot of guidance

photo 20150214_112046_zpsmy6or7r8.jpg

photo 20150214_112201_zpsbdghfvll.jpg

photo 20150214_140510_zps7mqfngmf.jpg

Amp on the left

Now to practice enough to make it sound as good as it could

BTW visited Sweetwater yesterday, handled a bunch of guitars, really liked the feel of the Fenders but I think some time on the new to me Epi is in order first.

This kid was playing a couple of guitars, and I mean kid 13/14 years old, he was freaking amazing, what a talent, I stayed in the background.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/14/15 3:24 p.m.

Congrats. SGs look great in dark red

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
2/23/15 8:39 a.m.

For David:

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eBYz3RfiJabcZgqUZzLueuOY3NOyma9UUdIEBCKm6aMMenHA1osd9OwILAxUpuV5