1 2
poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
2/7/19 6:13 p.m.

We’re officially “puttin the band back together,” and playing a decent sized gig in April, so I’m going through my rig, getting all guitars set-up, etc, and I figured it’d be a good time to go through ALL my gear. It’d also just be rad to see y’alls boards!

My effects are so minimal I’ve never bothered with the FX loop on my amp, so I’m considering giving that a shot. I didn’t realize until recently the benefits of the loop, beyond less “tapdancing.” (Amp is a 100 watt Splawn, btw. Basically a hand-wired Marshall.)

This is my current setup. All in front of the amp. In a crappy roadrunner soft case, with crappy daisy-chain. That’ll change soon. There’s a powered SKB on CL for $150.

I figure I need to keep the tubescreamer up front, and put the phaser and delay in the fx loop. At the same time, I might swap the carbon copy for either a TC Flashback or Boss. The MXR CC is hailed for its “dark” analog sound, but I quickly realized that’s not at all what I want in a delay. Also, while the phase 90 is 80’s cool, a little more versatility would be nice. Also also: I don’t love the tubescreamer. May just need a little more dialing in, but I swear, out of the box, it made noise. Not a consistent “hiss” but a “crackle.” Considering a Boss/JHS “angry driver.”

I may add a harmonizer too. The Boss Harmonist has me intrigued, as do the Pitchfork and (of course?) Digitech Whammy.

ANYWAY, post thoughts and pics of your rigs!!!

PS: Ignore the pedal settings. This was straight out of the box.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/7/19 6:28 p.m.

In the loop will give you a different tone, most amps dont want anything with added gain in the loop too so only half is going in the loop.

I like analog, dirty bucket brigade delays so im no help there, but the best phaser ive played is in a Digitech The Weapon pedal, Forever it was on my board too. Ill post some pics of my board in a bit, im changing it up now actually

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/7/19 7:03 p.m.

I use a Nady TO-2 tube overdrive. A real high voltage type. 

Antihero
2/7/19 8:15 p.m.

My pedalboard as it sits right now. The Luxe is having problems but I'll replace it with the same pedal 

poopshovel again
2/7/19 8:25 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

What’s the pink Danelectro?

Antihero
2/7/19 8:44 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

In reply to Antihero :

Its a Chili Dog Octaver, the most organic octave down pedal ive played. Usually dirt cheap too

poopshovel again
2/7/19 9:22 p.m.
Antihero said:
poopshovel again said:

In reply to Antihero :

Its a Chili Dog Octaver, the most organic octave down pedal ive played. Usually dirt cheap too

Cool. I’m considering a milkshake chorus. If it’s good enough for Matt Talbott....

Antihero
2/7/19 10:01 p.m.
poopshovel again said:
Antihero said:
poopshovel again said:

In reply to Antihero :

Cool. I’m considering a milkshake chorus. If it’s good enough for Matt Talbott....

Dano makes some interesting pedals, their Tremelo is fantastic too and the French toast is highly regarded

Fish and chips EQ is great as well

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/19 5:30 a.m.

Here’s mine, though not in it’s current form. I eventually want to get rid of this SKB & get a normal board - the power supply block gets in the way & I still need to use wall-warts for the higher draw pedals. I’d really like replace most of this with a Helix eventually anyway. 

I’m in love with the Ravish sitar pedal, that one is never leaving. The Boss looper is long gone - it sucked to use. The purple pedal is a Source Audio envelope filter, with th Hot Hand controller...it’s basically like a wah, but two-axis, and you control it with a thing you wear on your finger...

poopshovel again
2/8/19 7:57 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

WINNING! 

ASSuming the power supply would be enough for the pedals I’m running, I’d definitely be interested in the SKB if you’re serious about selling. I think it’s the same one I’m looking at on CL.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/8/19 7:58 a.m.

Welcome to the "this is unnecessary - you play bass" pedal board.

Tuner > Compressor > Damnation Audio MOSFET Bass Distortion (the best bass distortion I've ever used) > V8 Black Russian Big Muff > Boss OC-3 Octave > iStomp (programmable pedal current set to weird pitch/envelope shifting noise maker) > SansAmp Para Driver DI

All with a cheap ass power supply.

Compressor is always on when playing.  Distortion and fuzz are song specific.  Octave is set to drive mode and is used during some guitar solos to fatten things up (3 piece band).  SansAmp is only really ever used if I don't bring my own amp ('72 Ampeg V4), and the iStomp is used to annoy my band mates.

poopshovel again
2/8/19 8:05 a.m.

Also: Has anyone used a digitech hardwire SP-7 phaser? I want the analog sound of the phase 90 but a bit more adjustability. I was gonna go Boss, but it sounds like it’s impossible to get analog sounds out of it(?)

Pete Gossett
2/8/19 9:04 a.m.

In reply to Gimp :

Do you have any tracks with the distortion I can check out? I’ve yet to find one I truly like. 

Gimp
2/8/19 10:25 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Indeed I do!  The best part about this thing is the blend.  It lets you keep all the bottom end, while getting a really solid distortion sound.  I love it.

This is one of the tracks my band did - https://subtastics.bandcamp.com/track/ndabi-2

The same pedal was used HEAVILY on this record - https://open.spotify.com/album/4KuhT7ly5XRrsN4uVbgu5A

And here are some links from the guy who makes it:

https://youtu.be/HpA6T9a2Je0

https://youtu.be/3IrcKrStDho

And more - https://www.damnationaudio.com/shop/mbd

Antihero
2/8/19 10:28 a.m.

The best bass fuzz ive played thru is a Blakemore Dues Ex Machina if you can find one, has a blend too.

Ive got loads of boutique fuzz around, but it never gets on my normal board somehow

Pete Gossett
2/8/19 3:40 p.m.

In reply to Gimp :

Nice, that sounds good! Are you playing a p-bass? It has that kind of tone. 

Gimp
2/8/19 11:12 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to Gimp :

Nice, that sounds good! Are you playing a p-bass? It has that kind of tone. 

Yup. 79 P. 

poopshovel again
2/9/19 6:43 p.m.

I feel like I may end up going all (or mostly) Boss. Their phaser, delay, and harmonizer seem right up my alley. Any dissenting votes? 

I’d love to keep everything analog, but considering the fact that I don’t like the sound/adjustability of any of the analog pedals currently in my rig, I figure maybe I should just go all boss. 

I REALLY do need an isolated power supply instead of the stupid daisy chain. I’m looking at a t-rex fuel tank or fuel tank jr. Thoughts?

Pete Gossett
2/9/19 10:40 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

Drop $1600 on a Helix and be all set?

Antihero
2/10/19 1:40 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

I feel like I may end up going all (or mostly) Boss. Their phaser, delay, and harmonizer seem right up my alley. Any dissenting votes? 

I’d love to keep everything analog, but considering the fact that I don’t like the sound/adjustability of any of the analog pedals currently in my rig, I figure maybe I should just go all boss. 

I REALLY do need an isolated power supply instead of the stupid daisy chain. I’m looking at a t-rex fuel tank or fuel tank jr. Thoughts?

Boss is kinda like the beige camry option but theres nothing wrong with that if they sound like you want. Theres a million boutique options out there to play around with too.

Boutique fuzz is a rabbit hole that theres no coming back from....i think i own 23 fuzzes now lol

poopshovel again
2/10/19 12:05 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

True, but I’m not trying to get too freaky with my sound, and as these will be gigged, I need something solid and reliable. Also, I’m throwin a dart and buying online, so new, reliable camry > used kit car someone built in their basement.

Antihero
2/10/19 12:51 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

In reply to Antihero :

True, but I’m not trying to get too freaky with my sound, and as these will be gigged, I need something solid and reliable. Also, I’m throwin a dart and buying online, so new, reliable camry > used kit car someone built in their basement.

As long as you stick to the better known boutique guys you shouldnt have a problem if you go that way, the SD-1 is modded by a boutique company and the Supercollider is made by Earthbound are the boutiques on my board. Ive had both for a long time, over 8 years. Actually the only failure ive had recently is the Digitech Luxe.

Boss makes some good things though too, and are way easier to find. Give them a shot and see if you like them, they should be available used for cheap as hell too, i bought a boss bf-2 for $25 in good condition

poopshovel again
2/11/19 1:07 p.m.

I’m really close to holding my nose & pulling the trigger on a pile of stuff...including new board, case, & power supply (voodoo labs is now selling their own boards with pedal power 2+ and case.)

I think I’m just down to: BOSS DD-7 vs. TC Flashback.

I know I like the Boss. The TC gets rave reviews, and the built-in expression and “toneprint” are neato, but the boss seems like the brick-E36 M3house of the two.

Anybody wanna weigh in?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/12/19 12:58 p.m.

My current setup, and right now I'm using this amp for guitar and bass (and baritone). It's 100w and, so far, has taken the bass just fine.

I bought the Holy Grail a few years back and never really used it. I recently broke it out, but I'm still not warming up to it as the Fender reverb pedal does it for me. I still have my Blues Jr. and GK (love them) but having one amp for everything is kinda cool, too. 

Check it out: I (finally) coiled up the cables so my office is now sorta neat.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/12/19 1:11 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

23?  Damn...  You're giving my old bass player a run there.  I'm pretty sure he has at least that many.  He talked me into a couple of interesting pedals. An Acapulco Gold fuzz and a Gonkulator octave-fuzz.  For delay I have a vintage Memory Man with a 120V plug. 

I have a ton of effects, but typically only played live straight into the amp - even when my amp was a rack mounted ADA set-up. 

I used a Whammy pedal as a chorus on a couple of songs. 

Are you familiar with Pete Thorn's YouTube channel? He has a video about doing a 4 wire set-up like you are describing. Apparently hiss can be an issue. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M1KaZBsHiintmXNKfu7BQc95EOUIEs9jyy8WCONGjSlaOuPSht1lLXm9DteGTZvK