tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
2/27/12 9:44 p.m.

My heavens. There are some good ones. In no particular order:

Junior Brown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=jonJu6-XpWU

Eddie Van Halen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2I0a7EwWa8

Brian May (who, might I add, does his own electronics in the amps, built his own guitar when in his teens which was used throughout his time in Queen, and authored several physics papers, has a phd, and is currently chancellor at a university):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2c0AbqlqT8

(I love Headlong)

And what the hell, Prince?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_2tSGxGnJQ&feature=related

Haven't found a good clip for Clapton yet, either.

Some good talent out there. Interesting how (in my opinion) sometimes it translated into an awesome band (Queen) and sometimes the band languished in mediocrity (Eddie, Prince).

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
2/27/12 10:15 p.m.

Junior Brown is vastly underrated. Other than that, my list of favorites isn't PC around here.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
2/28/12 1:14 a.m.

I LOVE that Prince clip. The first time I saw it, I nearly had a stroke.

As a guitar player, I hate these discussions, though. Everyone chimes in with all of these obscure wizards who can't function in a band, can't really write a song and have skills that equate to being good at D&D in the big picture of music (IMHO, of course).

OP examples don't follow that formula, though. Clearly, Brian May knew that Freddie Mercury was who mattered. Fred was just kind enough to share the stage with him.

Now, I'm going to break my own rule and post the solo that changed my life musically. Dinosaur Jr.--Thumb (live version from "Whatever's Cool With Me") solo starts at 3:44 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTBIAyDk_ZE

I obsessed over this song for YEARS in the early 90's. Learned now to mimic J Mascis pretty well.

Probably the greatest guitar solo that almost no one has heard, but Mascis influenced countless guitarists in the decades to follow.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
2/28/12 1:32 a.m.
gamby wrote: As a guitar player, I hate these discussions, though. Everyone chimes in with all of these obscure wizards who can't function in a band, can't really write a song and have skills that equate to being good at D&D in the big picture of music (IMHO, of course). OP examples don't follow that formula, though. Clearly, Brian May knew that Freddie Mercury was who mattered. Fred was just kind enough to share the stage with him.

I agree with this 100%.

My favorites aren't any rock and roll, really. Hard to rank them, but I've got the following somewhere near the top:
-Doc Watson
-Tony Rice
-Uwe Kruger
-Jeff Beck
-Django Reinhardt
-Buddy Guy
-BB King
-Leo Kottke
-Maury Muehleisen
-Dickey Betts

All of them pretty amazing in their own right, all of them legends (possible exception of Muehleisen, I just love Jim Croce). You can look up youtubes on your own.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
2/28/12 7:18 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: And what the hell, Prince? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_2tSGxGnJQ&feature=related

Prince is a hell of an under-rated guitarist. Especially when he goes into full-on Hendrix-mode... I saw this a few months ago. Great performance,

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/28/12 7:27 a.m.

I am in the "not fond of wizards who can't function in a band" as stated earlier. Yngwie Malmsteen comes to mind. To me, a guitar isn't like a piano where it can be the music and have two or three voices - it is accompaniment, accent and/or rhythm but there aren't guitar recitals for a reason.

I have a lot of favorite artists but Mick Taylor stands out for me (at least this week). I can listen to Sticky Fingers and especially Sway over and over and it never gets old.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
2/28/12 7:40 a.m.

I understand what you guys are saying, that's, in my opinion, the difference between Eddie and Brian. They are both fantastic guitarists. They actually played together for fun often. Brian had a truly great band to go play with - Eddie... didn't. Not sure if that's his doing or not. Either way the solo is neat.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/28/12 7:46 a.m.
mtn wrote: My favorites aren't any rock and roll, really. Hard to rank them, but I've got the following somewhere near the top:

Thank you. Now I can play this game:
B.B. King
Hubert Sumlin
Zaak Wylde

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/28/12 7:52 a.m.

Jack White

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRtRWR_14kQ&ob=av3n

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/28/12 7:54 a.m.

Also in the "Not a virtuoso, just really berkeleying good" category: Jimmy Page. And what an awesome, quiet, eccentric, yet totally down to earth guy. See also: Angus.

I berkeleying hate jack white. He's the Kardashians of modern music. "I'm important because I told you I am." Blech.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
2/28/12 7:58 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: Also in the "Not a virtuoso, just really berkeleying good" category: Jimmy Page. And what an awesome, quiet, eccentric, yet totally down to earth guy. See also: Angus. I berkeleying hate jack white. He's the Kardashians of music. "I'm important because I told you I am." Blech.

How could I forget the great James Page. Good call.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
2/28/12 7:59 a.m.

Andy Gill from Gang Of Four.

I love that choppy, jagged guitar sound - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nylJ7oSIh9A

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/28/12 8:24 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: Also in the "Not a virtuoso, just really berkeleying good" category: Jimmy Page. And what an awesome, quiet, eccentric, yet totally down to earth guy. See also: Angus. I berkeleying hate jack white. He's the Kardashians of modern music. "I'm important because I told you I am." Blech.

You hate the Black Keys too right? Obviously your opinion doesn't count

chuckles
chuckles Reader
2/28/12 8:29 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I have a lot of favorite artists but Mick Taylor stands out for me (at least this week). I can listen to Sticky Fingers and especially Sway over and over and it never gets old.

People used to look at me funny when I babbled about "Sway." I saw Taylor 7 or 8 years ago, on a Tuesday in a small club, when his band was on the way to someplace bigger, I guess. If you haven't heard "Brussels Affair," do whatever is necessary, including letting me loan you the discs.

Roy Buchanan deserves a mention.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
2/28/12 8:40 a.m.

Mark Knopfler

Chet Atkins

Roy Clark

Albert King

Stevie Ray Vaughn

David Gilmour

Lyndsey Buckingham

Frank Zappa

The Edge

EDIT.................Frampton

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/28/12 9:01 a.m.

danny gatton

stanley jordan

intrepid
intrepid New Reader
2/28/12 9:11 a.m.

This is probably more of an example of one of those guitarists who, sometimes at least, struggle with bands, but I still love the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh-lJqNfT1E&feature=related

I actually think Johnny Marr is one of my favorite examples of a talented guitar player who serves the song/music.

-chris r.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
2/28/12 9:15 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Yngwie Malmsteen comes to mind.

Yngwie is definitely an example of what happens when one's ego gets in their way. He's convinced he writes good songs. History would beg to differ. He also doesn't know when to tone down the showmanship. For example, there's a youtube video of him playing the violin part on guitar with a full orchestra. As much as I like the idea of that and he plays well, it just didn't work as a whole. His appearance and guitar is fine for a rock ensemble, but he should have made adjustments for a more formal orchestra setting.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
2/28/12 9:44 a.m.

His appearance? Yngwie is stuck in 1984! Long permed hair, leather pants, tons of rings. Meh.

I'll nominate Zoltan Bathory. 5FDP hasn't been around really long, and he had a band or two before, but the guy has a ton of talent. Plus he's russian.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
2/28/12 12:04 p.m.

I realize everyone is citing guitar players but in terms of bass guitarist there are but two names: Les. Claypool.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
2/28/12 12:18 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: My heavens. There are some good ones. In no particular order: Junior Brown: **See my signature.** And what the hell, Prince? **Say what you will, that little man can PLAY.** Haven't found a good clip for Clapton yet, either. **That's because Clapton sucks. Well, not SUCKS, exactly, but he is breathtakingly mediocre.**
DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
2/28/12 12:25 p.m.

I'd argue Eddie needs to learn another chord and how to get along with people before I'd call him good.

Edit: if we must pick people who play in bands, I'd nominate John Petrucci of Dream Theater.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/28/12 12:32 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Yngwie Malmsteen comes to mind.
Yngwie is definitely an example of what happens when one's ego gets in their way. He's convinced he writes good songs. History would beg to differ. He also doesn't know when to tone down the showmanship. For example, there's a youtube video of him playing the violin part on guitar with a full orchestra. As much as I like the idea of that and he plays well, it just didn't work as a whole. His appearance and guitar is fine for a rock ensemble, but he should have made adjustments for a more formal orchestra setting.

My brother saw Yngwie J Malmsteen (you gotta include the "J," as to not have him confused with all the other Yngwie Malmsteens) and Rising Force (in teeny tiny letters) in Hollywood in the late 80's.

First song: Yngwie is quite obviously drunk, and not on top of his game. Someone from the audience throws a POTATO at the singer and hits him in the head, which apparently almost knocks him out. He gets up, starts pulling a Sebastian Bach trying to fight whoever threw said potato. The rest of the band can't finish the song because they are laughing so hard.

Who the berkeley brings a potato to a show? Me. Ever since I heard that story. Thank god I've never had to use it.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
2/28/12 1:03 p.m.
RossD wrote: I realize everyone is citing guitar players but in terms of bass guitarist there are but two names: Les. Claypool.

Plus eleventyquadrillion.....

-Rob

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
2/28/12 1:25 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Who the berkeley brings a potato to a show? Me.

That right there is .... aww never mind.

Did somebody actually include a member of the band U2? Did he learn a second chord?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TD5KAsfvvL05ylhELCMHTbYlbRnfKvlFchaTZHI5muBnYvi2dhfni3KvzEqq8X1g