1 2
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/20/15 5:05 p.m.

Raised Irish Catholic; in my youth I looked at other religions, Scientology was one.

That was 40+ years ago !!

They called my son who didn't give up any information but was polite. I've recently received a few calls and a letter, none of which I've responded to. Do I return the call ands say GTFO, or ignore?

Do I return the call saying I have no idea who you are trying to contact?

WWGRMD ?

Thanks.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/20/15 5:05 p.m.

Demand to talk to Tom Cruise directly.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/20/15 5:06 p.m.

Can I talk to Nicole instead?

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
8/20/15 5:37 p.m.

The title made me believe this was about somekind of suspension gurus....

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/20/15 5:51 p.m.

I'd suggest: Ignore. Anything else will just egg them on.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
8/20/15 6:08 p.m.

When they call pretend you are trying to sell something off craigslist. A cord of stacked and seasoned firewood is good. They say, may I speak to Mr. DriverDan?"

You say,"Yes, this is he, you must be calling about the firewood." They say no, they are calling about... You interrupt and tell them that it is oak. That it is split and stacked. That it is really good wood. Ask if they want the wood delivered, because you can do that for a bit extra.

You can go on like this for minutes. People who call you usually are not allowed to hang up on you so just keep torturing them about your firewood for sale. After you let them off, they won't call back. It's better than the do not call list.

daeman
daeman Reader
8/20/15 6:14 p.m.

In reply to T.J.:

That's genius! I need to try that some time.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/15 6:17 p.m.

Tell them you are so glad they called because you have been longing to tell them about your own personal savior...

That usually turns them off and removes you from their list post haste. They don't want you preaching to their choir.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
8/20/15 6:28 p.m.

ignore …otherwise it'll be like my spam filter/folder on my Yahoo mail account … I made the mistake of trying to "unsubscribe" to several of them (the amt. had dropped from 50 - 60 a day to maybe 20, and had been at level for a yr or so .. immediately (within 2 days) it was back up to 100+ per day

as soon as they figure out that there's a real person there, the push will be on

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/15 6:36 p.m.

Actually your son is a minor. I would report I to the AGs office (simple phone call at worst and possibly can be don on line) and if they call back for him get as much information as you can from the person. Name address etc and then thank them and let them know you will be passing this on to the AGs office as they were trying to solicit a minor with out the parents permission.

Should make them go away real fast.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/20/15 6:47 p.m.

Are you saying they have your information from your previous interest in them?

If so, you might not want to get too aggressive with them, they can get VERY aggressive if they want to especially if they think someone left the church. You are probably fine, but you might want to check out some of the documentaries on them. Going Clear Scientology and the Prison of Belief is the most recent and has some good examples of what they are capable of (they have a LOT of money btw).

BTW - Scientologist are by nature are generally afraid of or cautious of children because they are full of theatons (think the dark side force).

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/20/15 7:16 p.m.

Heavy breathing. Nothing more.

G. P. Snorklewacker
G. P. Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/20/15 7:24 p.m.

Do not respond. But if contacted directly... tell them you just watched "Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief" so you already know how the story ends.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/20/15 8:03 p.m.

That's actually not a bad idea. Study up on the whole Zenu spaceman, DC8, volcano origin story and start reciting it to them when they call. They aren't supposed to know that until they are way up in "levels". I suspect the phone spammers don't have a lot of levels.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
8/20/15 8:35 p.m.

Go full-on early Regular Car Reviews on them.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/20/15 9:36 p.m.

Ask them if they've ever considered worshipping Poseidon. In a very calm but slightly happy voice.

noodle
noodle GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/20/15 9:39 p.m.

I was raised Mormon, last night I cooked dinner for two of the local missionaries. Had to hide the empty beer cans from view in the garage....We all make mistakes.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
8/20/15 11:02 p.m.

Answer the door, fully "at attention", wearing a pair of bicycle shorts.

Make it awkward for everyone.

etifosi
etifosi Dork
8/20/15 11:19 p.m.

Don colander, ask if they have been touched by his noodly appendage?

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
8/20/15 11:56 p.m.

Damn missionaries....

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
8/21/15 12:30 a.m.

https://youtu.be/sGsdCHA9gw0

skierd
skierd SuperDork
8/21/15 4:16 a.m.
noodle wrote: I was raised Mormon, last night I cooked dinner for two of the local missionaries. Had to hide the empty beer cans from view in the garage....We all make mistakes.

My wife was also raised Mormon but is no longer active. I wasn't lol not even close. I'vd usually had a few beers or am halfway through a 4-finger glass of whiskey when they show up. I like her and her parents (also not active) home teachers, they're genuinely nice people and tolerate me well enough.

Never been approached by a scientologist. I suppose I'd deal with them like any other soliciting campaign "not interested, put me on your do not call list"

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
8/21/15 6:39 a.m.

There's a few key details missing that could make all the difference in the world.

Did they actually call for your son, or was it a call for you that he simply answered? And if it was for your son, is he of age or a minor?

If he's of age and they are actively recruiting him, there's not much legally you can do. In fact shoving yourself in the way places you as the outlaw.

If he's a minor and they are actively recruiting him, you do have legal grounds to push back, hard, and with the force of the law behind you.

If the call was specifically for you, well, pushing back hard is a lot like a fish biting the hook. They will likely work hard to reel you in, since you've already taken the bait. Letters and postcards can go in the trash, phones can be hung back up. Don't make more out of it than it warrants.

If they are just blanket canvassing, which they sometimes do, I'd just ignore it. Every once in a while I'll get something from them. Nothing more substantial than the post cards and such I get from various other organizations. Don't bite the hook in other words.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/21/15 6:50 a.m.

They called my son (he's 30) asking if he was me or knew me.

Going with Ignore. On the bright side, they're not banging on my door.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
8/21/15 6:51 a.m.

If they're calling for you, ask them if they can clarify one thing: Is it spelled Xenu or Xemu?

You can follow up by asking how long it takes knowing about OT III to kill you by pneumonia etc since you found out about it too early.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g6b7GIfAKR6EFnMSikLwzbwZa7oG6JbtMobS3uDQKPUIqkeQ0KKV3ZWNUNqLl5FD