STM317 PowerDork
6/5/23 6:00 a.m.

And like clockwork, I saw an Argosy hauling down 65 this weekend:

Freightliner Argosy Trucks For Sale

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/23 6:53 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

They're very popular in Australia, and I see a couple Canadian companies come here with them delivering large steel beams.  I'm pretty sure they are no longer available in the US, they were popular with tv and movie production companies here for a while because they take up less space. 

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
6/5/23 7:34 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to STM317 :

They're very popular in Australia, and I see a couple Canadian companies come here with them delivering large steel beams.  I'm pretty sure they are no longer available in the US, they were popular with tv and movie production companies here for a while because they take up less space. 

Certainly a rare bird in the US. Apparently they weren't readily available in the US after the 2006 MY although they could be purchased as gliders until 2020 when production ended. Most were exported even though they were manufactured in North Carolina. The one that I saw (similar to the picture above) is apparently a "second generation" that was made from 2012-2020 so it was absolutely a glider. Wonder what powertrain it had?

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/23 12:15 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

I didn't realize they still sold them that long. We saw a prototype at a show in the mid 90s and they were pretty nice. The cab had a flat floor instead of a crawl in bunk and the side steps could swing out like a staircase. In the demonstration Freightliner was trying to get a exemption to run longer, heavier trailers with a short tractor. 

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
6/5/23 1:14 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

I am shocked they were still being sold in the U.S. until 2020, even as a glider. Most of the cabovers I have seen were of the older style. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/5/23 1:45 p.m.

I see them every once in a while as farm trucks. I also see one that appears to move enough that I wouldn't say it is just an abandoned project, in a trucking yard near where my parents live. And, I know of one that the owner sought it out specifically because he had a space restriction where he was storing it. That was probably 5-10 years ago though.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/23 10:29 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to eastpark :

It rides better, but mostly looks cool. 

Much truth.  Also leaves plenty of room if you wanted to add a luxo-sleeper.

These Custom Sleeper Cabs Are Like Luxury Tiny Homes for Truckers

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
6/6/23 2:10 a.m.
STM317 said:

And like clockwork

Awww. I like you too.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yQ1dZtNbCDZsu2Zr5Z7tQaBZnSTp8SxtsLxPbUwOYgyDG4jPY7z0gipo2Mdb8Ic9