SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid HalfDork
9/12/11 10:23 a.m.

I just happened across this site this morning. It's pretty cool. Actually, no, REALLY cool.

http://www.garagejournal.com/

I came across this link of forum post first on Jalopnik. Its of a restored 1930s Auto Shop.

Link : http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51567

THIS is an orthodontist's office?

http://www.garagejournal.com/2011/04/one-crazy-orthodontist/#more-998

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
9/12/11 11:42 a.m.

The 1930s garage thread is like 1,000 pages long. I saw it when it first hit the site.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/12/11 12:18 p.m.

Yup, I've been a member there for five or six years now. Like a lot of other websites you have to sort through the bad advice if you go there to ask questions about garage construction, but the galleries are great (besides the 1930s garage rehab, look for Jack Olsen's Porsche garage.) The site is run by the same guy who has the HAMB board, the Jockey Journal, the Ford Barn and a few other good sites.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
9/12/11 12:31 p.m.

I find garagejournal to be one of the most frustrating forums online. Tons of great info but it is buried under an unfathomable xenophobic majority. Pretty much any topic in the tools section will degrade into a "country of origin" pissing match within 12 posts.

You should have seen the "My harbor freight investment" thread before it was closed and had 6 pages of vitriol culled out of it. It could have been one of the best threads on the internet. A pro mechanic working everyday with mainly HF tools giving an accurate and suprisingly unbiased review of the good and bad points of each. Responses like "If I walked into your shop and saw those tools I would take my car elsewhere" and "You obviously don't care enough to use snap-on so why would I let you touch my precious toyota"

And then there are threads like Jack Olsen's low buck garage, NastyZen's restorations of 60's racecars and these that make it all worthwhile http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113195

I don't even want to think about the multiple page thread complaining about the way the wrench in the "American Restorations" intro was being used wrong.

I used to go to garagejournal every evening but I found my blood pressure is a little lower if I just check out the fabrication forum once a week or so.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
9/12/11 12:31 p.m.

Also, did anyone see the new Ken Block video

Joey

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
9/12/11 12:36 p.m.

I've only gone to the Garage Journal site when a thread on there was the subject of a Jalopnik article. I only go to Jalopnik when there is a thread here that links to it.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
9/12/11 12:54 p.m.
T.J. wrote: I only go to Jalopnik when there is a thread here that links to it.

+1 it has been several months since I was an active reader there. I feel like less snarky diatribe in my life is a good thing.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/12/11 1:24 p.m.

In reply to ditchdigger:

You nailed it, I rarely go there anymore.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
9/12/11 3:25 p.m.

That is the truth...I never go on the forums, they are more "holier-than-thou" than average for the Interwebs, which is saying something.

I usually look at the blog occasionally, sometimes there's some cool stuff there.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
9/12/11 5:44 p.m.

In reply to ditchdigger:

+2

Every time I go there I tell myself I'm not going to look in the electrical forum. But then I invariably do anyway.... and piss myself off.

So I try to just avoid the site in general now... But I agree there is some good info if you have time to dig for it and really drool-inducing galleries.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/12/11 6:42 p.m.

The good thing about the GJ board is you can figure out who the clowns are pretty quickly, and then the board has an 'ignore' feature so you can blank out their posts. :)

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
9/13/11 1:03 a.m.

The HF tool thread was a bit funny . . . for price of one Snap-On rolling (small) tool box, that guy outfitted his shop with tools just about every tool you can want and don't need . . . .

I did find info on there for my toolbox:

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
9/13/11 9:47 a.m.

Are we talking about Harbor Freight tools?

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/13/11 11:40 a.m.

Yes.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
9/13/11 1:27 p.m.

That's really stupid if people are saying that they wouldn't bring their vehicle to that business because they use HF tools. Who cares? Your car gets repaired either way, it's the mechanic that gets shafted if his tools keep breaking because they are of a "lower" standard.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
9/13/11 1:30 p.m.

My car will only be touched by Snap-On tools. Clearly, it's the tools that do the work, not the mechanic.

just_james
just_james New Reader
9/13/11 6:41 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: My car will only be touched by Snap-On tools. Clearly, it's the tools that do the work, not the mechanic.

HAHA, I'll run that past SWMBO and see how that logic goes. I can hope right?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UjbmG7ZU6C1Vm5SZMy2HjZrHGom4OVCqz6v3f4wopWmjcy1621GdRp4pKCrG5IQh