1 2
bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/14 10:55 a.m.

I noticed some weirdness with the latest posts being a half day old, which knowing this group didn't make sense. I posted to a thread through it and that would show up in the m. version, but not on the latest design.

Sad to see it go, it was clean and faster than the latest design. sigh

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/29/14 11:04 a.m.

Since we did the mobile optimization a while back, we're not really doing much with the mobile site. In theory, the regular site resizes to work on mobile devices.

bluej
5/29/14 11:10 a.m.

The regular site does resize pretty cleanly, it's just not as stripped as the mobile version. The mobile version is like the locost version, faster and to the point, no filler.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/29/14 12:02 p.m.

Yep I just noticed that. No new threads after yesterday or so.

I understand not doing anything new to the mobile site but does it need to be killed completely?

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
5/29/14 12:28 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

Yes, because my android would never recognize it as a mobile site. TBH though, this newer format needs to die and be reverted back to the "uncluttered" version....

David S. Wallens
5/29/14 12:33 p.m.

We're in the middle of updating the site's OS. Let me ask if that impacted the m.site. We're no longer supporting the mobile site, so that might be what's going on.

bluej
5/29/14 12:55 p.m.

We appreciate you checking!

David S. Wallens
5/29/14 1:26 p.m.

Yep, the mobile site's days are limited. It was supposed to go away after the mobile optimization and has lingered on some kind of death row. The latest OS updates, though, aren't going to support it.

bluej
5/29/14 1:40 p.m.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
5/29/14 1:51 p.m.

For the likes of a small smart phone, I really liked it. Was much easier to use and quicker to load.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
5/29/14 1:58 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Great. That's the only site that works correctly on my ipad.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
5/29/14 2:05 p.m.

Well, this thread clears up a lot of confusion I had on my phone today.
I cleared cookies and emptied cache in addition to multiple restarts.
Seems my real issue was that I just had to remove the "m." from my bookmark.

David S. Wallens
5/29/14 2:10 p.m.

If it makes anyone feel better, the mobile site was supposed to be closed down a long time ago, but then no one actually pulled the plug. I guess someone forgot.

It is now time to update our OS, and it won't support the old mobile site. So technically it could live, but it wouldn't get updated.

Braven, the site works fine on my iPad 1. What is it doing with yours?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/29/14 2:11 p.m.

That's unfortunate.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/14 2:13 p.m.

The GRM mobile site was like Milton from Office Space. How long until the building is burned down?

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
5/29/14 2:27 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: If it makes anyone feel better, the mobile site was supposed to be closed down a long time ago, but then no one actually pulled the plug. I guess someone forgot. It is now time to update our OS, and it won't support the old mobile site. So technically it could live, but it wouldn't get updated. Braven, the site works fine on my iPad 1. What is it doing with yours?

David, I've expressed my frustration with this many times, both in the feedback forum and then again after that forum was gone (But not to you specifically). There is a subscribe pop-up that pops up every time I scroll up or down, and it blocks the message titles so I can't tell what they are. Another forum member made me aware of the mobile site just a week or two ago, and when I started using it I was amazed at how much better it worked for me. No pop-ups, and the messages took up the whole screen, not just a small part of it. So as you can imagine, I'm disappointed in this news. Here's the last time I wrote about it. Please excuse my attitude, but I was told more than once that it was fixed by the time I wrote this:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/subscribe-today/82725/page1/

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
5/29/14 2:49 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to EvanB: Yes, because my android would never recognize it as a mobile site. TBH though, this newer format needs to die and be reverted back to the "uncluttered" version....

They don't consider it clutter though, and they don't want you to be able to avoid it.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
5/29/14 3:17 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: If it makes anyone feel better, the mobile site was supposed to be closed down a long time ago, but then no one actually pulled the plug. I guess someone forgot. It is now time to update our OS, and it won't support the old mobile site. So technically it could live, but it wouldn't get updated. Braven, the site works fine on my iPad 1. What is it doing with yours?
David, I've expressed my frustration with this many times, both in the feedback forum and then again after that forum was gone (But not to you specifically). There is a subscribe pop-up that pops up every time I scroll up or down, and it blocks the message titles so I can't tell what they are. Another forum member made me aware of the mobile site just a week or two ago, and when I started using it I was amazed at how much better it worked for me. No pop-ups, and the messages took up the whole screen, not just a small part of it. So as you can imagine, I'm disappointed in this news. Here's the last time I wrote about it. Please excuse my attitude, but I was told more than once that it was fixed by the time I wrote this: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/subscribe-today/82725/page1/

Bravenrace, you mentioned you had it set to block popups. Could you post or send me (tom@grassrootsmotorsports.com) a screenshot from your iPad of your Safari settings? Hold down the sleep and home buttons to take a screenshot.

Thanks.

David S. Wallens
5/29/14 3:38 p.m.

Actually, Bravenrace, let me get with our web providers and see what they say about your situation.

David S. Wallens
5/29/14 3:41 p.m.

And they now have the details of your situation. Please realize they're in the middle of the OS transfer, but let's see what they say. I will probably come back to you with some questions.

Thanks.

bluej
5/29/14 3:43 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: It is now time to update our OS, and it won't support the old mobile site. So technically it could live, but it wouldn't get updated.

What would it not getting updated mean? That sounds like something most of us who use it might not mind.

David S. Wallens
5/29/14 3:46 p.m.

It wouldn't get any of the content that appears on the site, including message board posts. Basically, it would be cut off from the rest of the internet, frozen in time if you will.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/29/14 3:48 p.m.

Just wanted to throw this out there, I am using a first gen ipad and the subscribe pop up is a very very rare occurance for me. It dissappears when I clink on the X, without issue.

David S. Wallens
5/29/14 3:49 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: Just wanted to throw this out there, I am using a first gen ipad and the subscribe pop up is a very very rare occurance for me. It dissappears when I clink on the X, without issue.

Same with me, too. Hopefully our web guys have an idea of what is up with Braven's iPad.

David S. Wallens
5/29/14 3:52 p.m.

Just heard back from our web guys, and your pop-up issue is on the to-do list.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ey6b6wsCUVN7e5e3X0uIV8b02ac7bhEOSMTiJAc4bV7Anju1xSp0mjje1QCamgkv