1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/16/22 2:36 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

It would be cool to do a darkroom class. Where did you find one?

Local art museum offers adult, teen, and children's classes.  I've been a member for several years.  I'd get emails describing the classes offered.  Finally got around to actually signing up.

VegasNick
VegasNick GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/17/22 2:17 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

If you wanted to learn to develop film, we could probably talk you through it right here on the forum. Printing in a darkroom is a little more tedious and would be best taught in person. We have classes in our local Community College. 

VegasNick
VegasNick GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/17/22 2:20 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I have always been a Tri-X fanboy, mostly because it was the film of choice for most of Helmut Newton's black and white work, but I shot some Ilford not long ago and it is a close second to the Tri-X. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
9/17/22 11:21 p.m.

Can't remember if I mentioned this one- my FIL gave me his Yashica Electro TL. Quite an interesting camera for its time, but the real prize were the lenses- a Yashikor 200mm f/3.5, and a Yashinon Tomioka 55mm f/1.2 (the 55 is a pretty rare lens.)

Haven't run any film through it yet, but I plan to soon.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
9/18/22 7:09 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Weird - my neighbor just gave me an Electro TL. Only the 50/1.9 though. And missing the speed settings plate on the dial. And jammed. I'm going to say yours is better.

aw614
aw614 Reader
9/19/22 8:27 a.m.

I went thrift store shopping this past Saturday and somehow bought two Minolta SLR bodies with no lenses. One I really don't need (the SRT 100x), but it was clean and shutter speeds appeared to work though the meter is inoperable, but the price of 20 dollars I couldn't say no. Another was a Minolta autofocus plastic fantastic. I bought a bunch of various lenses to use with my Sony E mirrorless with LA-EA4 adapter. For 10 dollars, a working body would also be able to use those same lenses as they were intended. I am not sure if I want to keep the manual Minolta body as I already have the higher spec bodies with working meters. But if anyone is interest in starting out. I may be willing to part with a lens Im not using. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/19/22 10:08 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:
93EXCivic said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

It would be cool to do a darkroom class. Where did you find one?

Local art museum offers adult, teen, and children's classes.  I've been a member for several years.  I'd get emails describing the classes offered.  Finally got around to actually signing up.

I found that the local photographic society offers dark printing to members so I may have to join.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/19/22 12:27 p.m.
VegasNick said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

If you wanted to learn to develop film, we could probably talk you through it right here on the forum. Printing in a darkroom is a little more tedious and would be best taught in person. We have classes in our local Community College. 

Thanks, and you're probably correct. 

I took a number of photography classes a few decades ago, including basic photography, studio lighting, and large format.  Got my career studies certificate from the local Community College back in the middle nineties.  Spent plenty of hours in the darkroom.  I was even developing and printing both black and white and color in my makeshift apartment kitchen darkroom about that time.

In taking this class, I hoped to "get back into it" to some degree, and connect with like-minded people.  I still own my enlarger and enough gear to develop and print B & W.  I did a little experimentation with Caffenol a couple years ago, and will probably do a bit more.  If nothing else, maybe it will keep me from posting so much on internet forums.  laugh

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/19/22 3:35 p.m.

So during vacation, I took so photos on the beach with Ilford Ortho Plus. I had put a red filter on the camera for most of the photos so I got 8 photos out of the roll. Oops...

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/19/22 4:02 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

If it makes you feel better, I just finished shooting a roll in this camera:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2Fce%2F7f%2F7c%2Fce7f7cb49715d70ba08afaa49ac4f2c6.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=3bce756d6efab8118fa4667b062a388bc18798c27e7195a1246e364c66dc96e7&ipo=images

When I removed the roll of Kodak Color 400, I noticed that I had somehow set the ASA to 100 mid-roll.  I thought I was setting the aperture, but was unfamiliar with the camera.  I don't know what part of the roll is at the correct exposure and what part is two stops over.  Being color print film, I suspect it'll be at least mediocre.  I need to send that roll off for processing.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/20/22 3:34 p.m.

I took my Fujifilm X100V to Radwood last weekend–love that camera–and a guy shooting film started chatting with me about cameras.

Had I recently checked prices on the X100V? he asked.

I hadn't.

I paid $1399 for mine and did the early purchase so it arrived the moment it was released.

I see B&H still has it listed at that price, but it's out of stock.

On Amazon, I see a used one for $2299.99. On eBay, looks like $1500 for a used one and close to $2000 for new. 

Lovely camera, still. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/21/22 12:34 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Kodak 400 should be fine 2 stops over- just adds a bit of contrast. 

grover
10/21/22 12:48 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I guess supply chain has hit everything. Wife and I were talking today about what to do with our Fuji kits. 2 xt-2's an xt-1 and 10 lenses or so. But it's just not worth a whole lot- and they probably have about 100 weddings on each. Were shooting canon again these days and these just sit. We have a 12 and 13 year old kids and we'll probably just pass them on. 

David S. Wallens
10/21/22 2:42 p.m.

In reply to grover :

I have a bad feeling that one day I'll wind up with an X-T2/3/4. While I love the 7D MkII as a workhorse, I really enjoy how the Fujifilm feels like a film camera. 

grover
10/22/22 11:41 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

They're nice to shoot- but as my eyes age a real slr works better for me. 
if I'm honest I'm real close to getting an m6 and an 85 and 50 and calling it a day. 

David S. Wallens
10/24/22 9:55 p.m.

In reply to grover :

I do hear you on the aging eyes.

The X-T30 is appealing, though. Love the style. Looks like something similar in feel to my X100V. Hmm.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/25/22 8:43 a.m.

I have been heavily thinking about a used Fujifilm XT or XPro as an upgrade for digital setup (which right now is just an old Olympus M4/3 that I hardly ever shoot).

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
10/25/22 8:56 a.m.

I haven't shot with it much but I like my X-H1. Very nice with adapted glass. I like having the top deck display. I actually bought it to mount a Tamron 17-70 f2.8.

Still tempted by the Pentax K-3 III. 

grover
10/25/22 10:06 a.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

i remember thinking the x-h1 was neat when it came out. The xt-2's have dials that have held up better than I expected though.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/11/22 3:26 p.m.

So, for those of us making B&W prints, what paper do we like?  I have some old Ilfobrom Galerie FB grade 2 fiber base paper, but wow, the stuff has gotten expensive, and I hear it's pretty much discontinued.  The only other choice looks to be the Ilford FB Multicontrast.  Any others I should look at?

Edit:  I've been printing on the Ilford Polycontrast RC paper, but having printed years ago on FB, I'm really not liking the result.

I love the big negatives, but I'm not enjoying my 1990's vintage Seagull TLR.  The shutter is a little sticky, and I'm blowing the focus a lot.  Pretty much just a tripod camera.  Is there a cheap alternative that takes 120/220 rollfilm?  Kiev? Pentax 67? Mamiya 645?  Yikes!  Not cheap.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
11/11/22 4:18 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

What format do you want: 6x6, 6x4.5, 6x9...? Do you want to stick with a TLR, or go to something else? How do you want to shoot with it?

For the Seagull, is the mirror clean? Do you have a strap on it? Pulling down on the camera helps to triangulate it by bracing it with the strap. A leaf shutter is pretty easy to clean, if you're so inclined. And if it has a provision for a cable release, you can try it using that.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/11/22 4:29 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

I'm flexible as to format, but I think I'd like to go SLR.  Mamiya 645 seems like one of the cheapest options that are still decent cameras.

I really don't hear much to like about the Seagull.  My teacher in darkroom is not a fan.  I recognize that I could get more out of it than I'm getting, but I'm wanting something else.  Don't want junk, though, so it looks like I'll need to pony up some bucks or learn to like it.

Do you know if there's any kind of manual or video for getting to the shutter?  I wouldn't know where to start.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
11/11/22 9:23 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

My GF has a Mamiya 645. It seems nice, and makes very sharp photos. It's not my sort of camera, but she's quite fond of it. I tend toward the older stuff, and prefer larger formats. I don't know where prices are these days, but if you're willing to go for the purely manual pre-electronic stuff I imagine you can find some decent deals. I've owned MF Rolleiflexes, Voigtlanders, Zeisses, Mamiyas, and some other stuff, so if you have questions about specific models I might be able to offer advice.

As far as getting into the shutter, I've never worked on a Seagull, but it looks like there's a plate incorporating the viewing and taking lenses. I expect you just unscrew the two front elements, and either there will be screws behind the metal portions of those, or tucked along the sides of the housing. You'll need micro screwdrivers at a minimum; it's possible you might need a tool to remove the front lens glass, but usually they just come out with light pressure.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/17/22 10:26 a.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Well, I'm still toying with the idea of another MF camera.  Was watching a nice Mamiya RB67 outfit on ebay that was bidding around 500, but ended up selling at near 1000.  I think that's on the upper edge of my budget, if not beyond, but that auction included two backs and three lenses, so probably well-bought. 

Not 100% sold on the TLR concept, but thinking that might be my best bet value-wise.  Rolleiflex seems to be very well-regarded, if pricey.  Minolta Autocord?  How much inferior is the Rolleicord?  Is it not made by the same company as Rolleiflex?  Also, not looking for an antique, so something made in the last 50 years is a plus, unless these things are as much of a brick as they seem to be.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/17/22 11:36 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I haven't owned a RB67 but played one for a bit. If you think a tlr is a tripod camera wait until you handle that big old hunk. They are big and they are heavy.

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ChvThcVZT3EASIz1sFXB84zC3GLdB5LybhtVoeG7vo7hwbrcscV2oEoemdEIIeM7