1 2 3 4 ... 13
ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
12/6/19 12:51 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

There was one on kickstarter ages ago but I don't think anything ever came of it.

I use a lens adapter for my m4/3 mirrorless camera and all of my old glass, works amazingly well.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/19 1:04 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

There have been a bunch of attempts and also at "digital film" but IIRC none of these were really successful. Arguably you tend to be better off with a digital body and an adapter (if you even need one) for your old lenses.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/6/19 1:09 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Don't forget to agitate. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/6/19 1:13 p.m.

How do you forget to agitate?  That's the best part.  What else would you do?

I guess  you could get somebody else to do it--if you paid them.  I hear "paid agitators" are a thing now.

BoxheadTim
12/6/19 1:35 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Rodinal stand development FTW. Pour highlight diluted developer in, agitate once or twice, watch an episode of Wheeler Dealers, fix & wash.

David S. Wallens
12/6/19 1:54 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I guess  you could get somebody else to do it--if you paid them.  I hear "paid agitators" are a thing now.

You know, in all of those spy movies, they never show the secret agents agitating the film. They always jump right to developing the paper. 

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
12/6/19 2:22 p.m.

I really miss my old Nikon F4S, and I only recently sold my darkroom equipment.  A giant enlarger isn't quite as entertaining for others as I thought it might be.  I had it on display in my living room for a while.  

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
12/6/19 2:23 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
1988RedT2 said:

You know, in all of those spy movies, they never show the secret agents agitating the film. They always jump right to developing the paper. 

Nor do they show them rolling the film onto the reels inside of one of those dark "bags".  I much preferred developing pics to developing film.  

David S. Wallens
12/6/19 2:25 p.m.

Also, it's not a film camera, but oh this is so tempting. I got to use one for just a few, and it felt so right. (And as a Canon shooter for decades, the fact I'm consdering a different brand is kind of a big deal.)

Linky.

David S. Wallens
12/6/19 2:26 p.m.

In reply to racerdave600 :

Exactly!

Did you use the plastic reels of the metal ones? The plastic ones were easier to use, but I felt a sense of accomplishment once I got the hang of the metal ones. 

David S. Wallens
12/6/19 2:27 p.m.
codrus said:
David S. Wallens said:

While looking for the A-1, I came across a Nikon in a big--just sitting here in my office. Nikon!? I have never shot Nikon. Still can't recall how it got here. Very weird. 

Does it have the motor drive that you need to reproduce the opening few seconds of Girls On Film? :)

You know, I did own one. Might still be in the bag. 

BoxheadTim
12/6/19 2:30 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

My main camera these days is a Fuji E2-s. I love it, and even their cheaper glass is great. Seriously contemplating to move to an E3.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/6/19 2:33 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to racerdave600 :

Exactly!

Did you use the plastic reels of the metal ones? The plastic ones were easier to use, but I felt a sense of accomplishment once I got the hang of the metal ones. 

I always used the metal ones.  Plastic ones seem cheesy.  Once you get the hang of it, it's easy.  They can get bent, though.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
12/6/19 3:01 p.m.

On reels, I've always used the plastic ones, but that said, not all plastic reels are created alike. I've got a 4-reel Jobo tank and the reels are so much better than the others I've tried.

I also have a Fuji digital (X-E1) for when I want/need one, which isn't often, but it's nice to have the option. It's a nice little camera. I use it exclusively with my Leica lenses and an adapter, so aperture priority is as automated as I can get. I've thought about picking up a used X100 of some variety just to play around with, but I can just screw a 21mm or 28mm lens to the X-E1 and have something pretty similar.

David S. Wallens
12/7/19 4:27 p.m.

Got a battery for the A-1, and it turns on. The shutter, though, sounds a little off--or just not as crisp as I remember. We have a vintage camera shop in town. I'd like to run it past them. 

Also, there was a roll of film inside the camera. Who did that? 

So, any guesses as to what's on here?

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
12/7/19 6:13 p.m.

Get it developed! I love found film. I've done a few rolls that I got in cameras I bought. The most notable thing was a shot of an incredibly creepy Howdy Doody doll amid some sort of hoarder-level clutter.

David S. Wallens
12/7/19 7:23 p.m.
02Pilot said:

Get it developed! I love found film. I've done a few rolls that I got in cameras I bought. The most notable thing was a shoot of an incredibly creepy Howdy Doody doll amid some sort of hoarder-level clutter.

Oh, totally. Be funny if it was magazine stuff--which, it might well be. Gotta see if any issues from 1995 are missing any photos. 

David S. Wallens
12/7/19 7:38 p.m.

Also, weird that it's a 24 exposure roll. That doesn't sound like me. The mystery deepens....

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
12/8/19 7:34 a.m.

The mirror damper pad on that Canon might be breaking down which may lead to the shutter release sounding different than you remember.  Give that a good look before messing with it further; that stuff usually turns sticky and getting it on the mirror is a big hassle.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
12/8/19 8:57 a.m.

Why am I not surprised?

I have two film cameras that both see frequent use... a Pentax K1000 and an Olympus Auto Eye rangefinder. Both are older than I am, and both do fantastic work...  if you are interested in seeing photos, you can find me on Instagram- @recon.1342

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/19 9:03 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I think you call them influencers now. So don’t forget to influence the film.

We had my grandfather’s enlarger for years in the photo closet. Yes, my family has a closet for photo gear and slides. I think we just got rid of it a couple of years ago. 

Keith Tanner
12/8/19 9:07 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Also, it's not a film camera, but oh this is so tempting. I got to use one for just a few, and it felt so right. (And as a Canon shooter for decades, the fact I'm consdering a different brand is kind of a big deal.)

Linky.

I treated myself to one of the digital Pen-F cameras earlier this year. Takes good pictures and slips into a pocket, but it also has a great aesthetic. Since I don’t shoot for money, it’s all about aesthetics and the Pen-F is a guilty little pleasure. 

I used it at SEMA with a little prime lens that made it super quick for snapshots - but at least two people asked if I was shooting film, because nobody uses a small camera with a viewfinder anymore :) So I wholeheartedly endorse the Fuji.

Keith Tanner
12/8/19 9:11 a.m.
02Pilot said:

Get it developed! I love found film. I've done a few rolls that I got in cameras I bought. The most notable thing was a shot of an incredibly creepy Howdy Doody doll amid some sort of hoarder-level clutter.

When we were clearing out my grandfather’s stuff after he died in the 90s, we found a roll of film. I’m not sure if it was undeveloped or just the negatives - but it turns out to have been my parents wedding from 1966. They left from the reception to work in Australia for a while, so my grandfather just sent them a few prints of the best shots and they never saw the rest of the roll. Those outtakes were the most wonderful accidental find.

I predict JGs roll will be something like a modified Cavalier. 

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/8/19 9:34 a.m.

I miss Kodachrome 25.  You could get some amazingly detailed and rich colors just by exploiting the exposure latitude.  You could set the f-stop using a light meter on a subject of  a lighter color and the darker background would come out almost completely black.  I had to use a tripod and remote shutter release for the slow shutter speeds so the image would not show the shake.   

My old Minolta with multiple lenses has a stuck shutter so its a conversation piece now.  Sad...

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
12/8/19 9:52 a.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

Talk to the folks at blue moon camera, they may be able to repair it...

1 2 3 4 ... 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tiz1LUwUDptKjRx0zXqmCntzxNrEm2ZgqaxTMpLOznhNF9FriuXKx44YHrvVU0yd