1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/4/22 12:18 p.m.

This Onion post got me thinking:

Man On Internet Almost Falls Into World Of DIY Mustard Enthusiasts

What are we eating these days? I'm about to eat a sammich dressed with some old-school Plochman's original yellow. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/4/22 12:31 p.m.

Way back when I had access to the BX and the delicious things they would bring from overseas, I fell in love with Thomy.  The blue kind is good, but the red package?  Oh man.

Gotta be on the lookout for a better price, though 

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000NY4SZQ/

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/22 12:39 p.m.

https://mustardmuseum.com/

Did you know there was a national mustard museum? Now you do.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/4/22 12:40 p.m.

I grew up on this stuff.  I think my parents bought it for the free glass mug that it came in.  I remember the mustard, and I remember drinking a glass of milk at dinner out of one of those mugs.  I'd be willing to bet that to this day, there's a few of them stashed in the back of my mom's kitchen cupboards.  On the market 60 years ago, I recently rediscovered it.  I think I have some in the fridge right now.  Sadly, it's no longer packaged in a glass mug.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fnebula.wsimg.com%2Fobj%2FMzdFQ0RBMEZGQzEyMjlDM0U1NjY6MmY5YjMwMDQ5YmM1Y2NiN2FkMjhhNzM0NDAxYTg3YzQ6Ojo6OjA%3D&f=1&nofb=1

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/4/22 12:44 p.m.

Did you know there's mustard powder?

I don't like mustard. We have a spicy brown and a generic yellow in the house for a few sauce recipes but that's it. Honestly I don't think we'd even notice if I didn't add it to the sauces either. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/4/22 12:45 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Alstertor still does the mug

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/4/22 12:47 p.m.

Yellow mustard is for hot dogs only, but I agree, Plochman's is the way to go if you're going that way.

My go-to for just about everything is the classic Gulden's Spicy Brown.  That meets 90% of my mustard needs:

Gulden's® Spicy Brown Mustard, 12 oz

For lighter mustard with a more refined flavor, and for use in cooking, vinaigrettes, and such, I prefer Maille original Dijon (not the rustic variety):

Maille Dijon Originale Mustard - 7.5 Oz

slefain
slefain PowerDork
5/4/22 12:49 p.m.

Someone say mustard?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/4/22 12:54 p.m.
RevRico said:

I don't like mustard. We have a spicy brown and a generic yellow in the house for a few sauce recipes but that's it. Honestly I don't think we'd even notice if I didn't add it to the sauces either. 

How the Hell do you eat hotdogs?

RevRico
5/4/22 12:58 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Hot sauce, BBQ sauce, or wrapped in ham and cheese. Or, if Duke isn't reading, with ketchup and onions. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/22 12:58 p.m.

The coarser, the better.

Yellow mustard is very much an "any port in a storm" situation. It is better than no mustard but all mustard is better than it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/4/22 1:02 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Or, if Duke isn't reading, with ketchup and onions. 

It isn't my opinion you need to worry about:

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/4/22 1:07 p.m.

Grey Poupon Commercials Making a Comeback–Can They Cut the Mustard? [VIDEO]

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/4/22 1:10 p.m.
Appleseed said:
RevRico said:

Hot dogs are like steak. Sauces are fine and all, but if you can't eat one without it, you berkeleyed up. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/4/22 1:20 p.m.

Pommery Fireman's if you like it extra Spicy. Pommery Extra Strong is my go to.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/4/22 1:21 p.m.
Mndsm said:
Appleseed said:
RevRico said:

Hot dogs are like steak. Sauces are fine and all, but if you can't eat one without it, you berkeleyed up. 

I am sorry hot dogs are nothing like steak. They have two jobs be cheap and delivery sauce and other stuff to my mouth.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/4/22 1:23 p.m.

And I need to get some of this, too. It's the good stuff. 

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
5/4/22 1:31 p.m.

Do you like malty beers?   stone ground mustard?  

look no further.   Founders Dirty Bastard mustard.

Having this brewery in my backyard is dangerous.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
5/4/22 1:37 p.m.

I love my store-brand stone-ground mustard - I'm a mustard snob, but not as far as brand choice. However, where can one find some good horseradish? Ugh. The stuff out there has no bite!

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
5/4/22 1:50 p.m.

I will usually use it on corn dogs, if I remember. Beyond that, meh. Don't care.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
5/4/22 2:00 p.m.

Gulden mustard which you can buy for $1.29 at my local Walmart  , $2.79 at Ralph's 

We bought s one English mustard. When we were traveling thru the UK in our camper , 

when we opened the jar it was so strong it made you cry !

The mustard at the Imbus bratwurst  stands in Germany  is great 

RevRico
5/4/22 2:12 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

I love my store-brand stone-ground mustard - I'm a mustard snob, but not as far as brand choice. However, where can one find some good horseradish? Ugh. The stuff out there has no bite!

My local grocer has full on horseradish root. Grate as needed. 

I suggest buying one, cutting it into useable sized pieces then freezing it. It can get funky if you leave the cut end sticking out exposed. 

So I pull a chunk out, cut off like 1/4" slice and toss it, grate what I need, and back to the freezer. 

The finer you grate it the hotter. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/4/22 2:15 p.m.

In reply to Grtechguy :

Sierra Nevada's mustards are awesome too.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/4/22 6:17 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Hot sauce, BBQ sauce, or wrapped in ham and cheese. Or, if Duke isn't reading, with ketchup and onions. 

And mustard.  You forgot the mustard.  (Yes, I saw your other post.)

You still forgot mustard.

fromeast2west
fromeast2west Reader
5/4/22 6:41 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

I second this recommendation.  When I want something that adds to the flavor of what I'm eating instead of overpowering it, I grab Sierra Nevada.  I've tried stronger mustards in the past, but ended up putting tiny bits on steak or in coleslaw.  If it's something like a hotdog or sandwich, where you're going to squeeze or spread it on, the stronger mustards just blow out all the other flavors.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pPSDCxvy0VwjnH6IkKFpIEVtNMkLfiE54AlfuhEnwNP4uoCCQq6wChyBDgcJvgmJ