1 2
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/3/22 11:28 p.m.

We see 'em around here fairly often.  More than one artist/art major I know has incorporated them into their art.

Anyways, here's a breakdown of what happened to cause them.  

While I'm not surprised at why or how it happened, I'm a might surprised at just how widespread the problem actually is.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
12/3/22 11:40 p.m.

People here just assumed it was for The Ravens

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
12/4/22 2:09 a.m.

All the things I didn't know about friggin street lamps. I mean, I don't consider myself particularly dense, and I am rather mechanically inclined, but never think you can just assume how things work. 
Thanks for sharing. Fascinating stuff. Blue LEDs. Who'd have guessed?

dps214
dps214 Dork
12/4/22 3:11 a.m.

I guess I didn't know it was that widespread, but I learned about it earlier this year when we went to Lincoln Nebraska for solo nationals and like half of the street lights there were purple. I haven't encountered it anywhere else though (yet, apparently).

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/4/22 4:10 a.m.

They're around here, in northern Illinois.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/4/22 6:44 a.m.

That article had more fluff than a recipe website. 

if you didnt have the patience to read through all the crap, here is the meat of it

"There's a laminate on the fixture that gives it its white color," he says. "As that laminate began to degrade, it caused the color tint to change toward purple."

it makes me feel like im driving in a video game. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/4/22 7:46 a.m.

Interesting.  Before I retired I did a lot of street light design, but never came across this phenomenon.  Guess I must have used the right LEDs.  smiley

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/4/22 8:15 a.m.

See them quite a bit here. I was wondering what the hell it was all about. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
12/4/22 9:01 a.m.

Milwaukee had a pile of them and replaced them in the last 2-3 years.  Kind of a shame, I liked them since they were dimmer than regular lights.  Went past one of those giant, for-profit megachurches in central Indiana the other day and their whole lot was purple.  Forgot how cool it looked.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/4/22 9:09 a.m.

Yeah, they built a new train station here a couple years ago.  Very "green" and probably LEED certified at some level.

Nearly all their site lighting has gone purple like that. I assumed it was on purpose.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/4/22 10:06 a.m.

The lies of LED lighting will be revealed!

We are under attack!  Run about!  Scream and shout!

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/psychiatry-and-sleep/202108/blue-light-has-apocalyptic-impact-sleep-and-human-health

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
12/4/22 10:32 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

In Holland some public restrooms use blue lights so junkies can't find their veins.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/4/22 10:43 a.m.
j_tso said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

In Holland some public restrooms use blue lights so junkies can't find their veins.

I wonder how's that working out for them?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/4/22 11:04 a.m.

Wow.  Someone's getting paid by the word!

That's a very long road to get to a rather short answer!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/4/22 11:08 a.m.
aircooled said:

Please.  Those of us who practice the literary arts must be allowed some room to be creative!

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/4/22 11:22 a.m.

I came here hoping to find out what those little blue lights above the traffic lights are that i see in some US states. Anyone?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/4/22 11:31 a.m.
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) said:

I came here hoping to find out what those little blue lights above the traffic lights are that i see in some US states. Anyone?

For cops to catch red light runners.
Light is red, the blue light is on.  Red light is directional, blue light is not directional.  Then cop doesn't have to be in line of sight of the red light, they can be off in a lot to the side and still say "ok, that light was red, they went through it, I can get 'em."

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/4/22 11:32 a.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) :

That light goes on when the stop light comes on. It lets law enforcement see that the light was ran without seeing the actual red light. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/4/22 11:38 a.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) :

Drone trackers for chemtrails.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
12/4/22 12:10 p.m.

Damn, I hope my city goes Purple Rain like that.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/4/22 12:11 p.m.

I read the article and found it rather poorly written. I won't use the p word but this article appears to be the basis https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/led-streetlights-purple-colour-light

For bonus points follow the linked articles and you'll find articles that feed in to ShawnG's move, my move, and bear mountains prospective move.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/4/22 12:12 p.m.

Cops actually write tickets for that? Who knew?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/4/22 1:04 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
aircooled said:

Please.  Those of us who practice the literary arts must be allowed some room to be creative!

I have to pontificate as to my general discontent in you lack of loquaciousness in your retort.  It lacks the substance of long winded written elocution of wordsmithing that seem to predominate those of you with your indicate predisposition.

cheeky

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/4/22 4:38 p.m.

We have a couple purples here on I-81.  Both of them happen to be the lamps that illuminate two of the exits.  I thought maybe it was some fancy way of helping you see ahead of time where your exit is.

Turns out, it's just a E36 M3ty product.

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
12/4/22 4:56 p.m.

I like the purples, makes the drive cooler when you get a stretch of them. I also like old-fashioned sodium lights. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yf2tqhDUfz7j1pIOCPYpNy0tEPa5vbXsIdXhZHiT4glOIQq7cZhXBxYUcauZdAcM