1 2
DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
1/4/09 1:47 p.m.

Ok, so I decided to give up cable AND the internet for a while (after loosing my job we decided to make MAJOR changes and will be debt free in less than 4 years) so I'm shopping for a HD converter box. I'm looking at every bit of info I can find but thought I'd ask you folks for your experiences, good and bad. What model do you have and why do you or don't you like it? What feature does it have that you would rather not live without and what feature would you like it to have?

Now, I'm new to this since I've had cable TV since it was called "IT" and "ON" (remember those anyone??). Anyway, I see some of the manufacturers will say "our box pulls in weak stations". Isn't that the antenna that pulls the station in? Thanks for your input, it'll be helpful.

slefain
slefain Dork
1/4/09 2:12 p.m.

First go here to see what TV stations in your area you can pick up (to see if it will be worth the trouble):

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Then log on here and get the $40 coupon from the government:

https://www.dtv2009.gov/

Then find a box for as little over $40 as possible. Sam's Club has their box for $44. It is a Magnavox. Not a bad box, but not the best either. But for $4 out of pocket it's great.

Then go buy an amplified antenna. Doesn't really matter what kind, just make sure it's got an honest AC powered amplifier. Mine is a Sam's Club house brand I think I paid $20 for.

I'm thrilled to death with my setup. We pull in all the major Atlanta stations. It's no comparison to cable TV for variety, but for catching network TV it's great.

sachilles
sachilles Reader
1/5/09 9:17 a.m.

Just an fyi, it is a digital converter not an HD converter. They are different things. A digital converter will pick up over the air digital signals.

An Hd converter is something early hd ready tv's used.

You should be able to get a coupon from the government website to get a free converter.

the above website will help you figure out what antenna will work best for you in your area.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/5/09 10:43 a.m.

The gov website sez that they spent all our money and have no more coupons, but as soon as they are bailed out, they'll send one. Guess I waited too long.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/5/09 10:57 a.m.

I hadn't paid much attention to the converter box news as I have cable, but I was behind a guy picking a couple up in Walmart a few weeks ago. The first woman in line had a little kid and was checking out with a food stamp card. She looked to have picked up some basic items, Milk, cereal, apples ect. Converter guy tells me how he gets sick seeing his money put food on someone else's table. Then it's his turn and he takes out his gov't gift card for two conveter boxes. Struck by the irony of the situation I unloaded on him, somewhat loudly how being on TV stamps had to be worse than food stamps. He tried to ignore me but the cashier's giggling slowed down his sale to the point the people around us could figure out what was going on. While my wife tried to pretend she didn't know me several people clapped and he finally started swearing at me on his way out.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/5/09 11:00 a.m.

Using regular antanas we get nothing on either the HDTV, or TVs when we plug in the DTV converters.

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
1/5/09 11:11 a.m.

Funny timing, we just got our Guberment Aid TV Stamps (gift card thingys actually) last week and picked up two boxes at the local WallyMart.

I tried with no antenna and couldn't get anything so I went back to the Mart and picked up a $10 set of rabbit ears. Now I can get two stations plus two of their subchannels and that's it.

Would getting an amplified antenna help a lot? FWIW I live in the country a bit (Wilimington, OH) surrounded by 3 large cities about 45-60 minutes away (Dayton, Columbus, Cincinnati). The two stations I get are out of Dayton which is probably the closest city as the crow, and tv signals, fly.

sachilles
sachilles Reader
1/5/09 11:46 a.m.

look at the above website(the antennaweb one). It will tell you what you should be able to receive and what the optimal direction is to aim your antenna. It's a pretty neat site actually.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/5/09 12:23 p.m.

Have the digital broadcasts started yet? The boxes might not do anything until the changeover. We picked one up for the extra TV we have in the house just in case we ever turn it on, but I haven't bothered to try it.

The TV Stamps thing could have been handled better. A gift card? Really? Pretty much everyone who buys one of these boxes is eligible for the coupon, so it seems to me it could have been handled a little more smoothly in a more centralized manner.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
1/5/09 12:41 p.m.

Yes, digital broadcasts have been out there for 3-4 years now. Soon, it's the only thing that high powered stations will be allowed to broadcast. Feb 19th or somewhere close to that.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
1/5/09 4:50 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: Using regular antanas we get nothing on either the HDTV, or TVs when we plug in the DTV converters.

funny.....I get 28 channels. no BS

using the telescoping rabbit ears. they're laying out the bedroom window on the garage roof

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/5/09 8:09 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote:
neon4891 wrote: Using regular antanas we get nothing on either the HDTV, or TVs when we plug in the DTV converters.
funny.....I get 28 channels. no BS using the telescoping rabbit ears. they're laying out the bedroom window on the garage roof

I live out in the hills and the site sugested the highest powered antanna we can find. Regular, we only pick up 4 channels any way.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Reader
1/6/09 12:07 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw

Dont bother wating your money on rabbit ears or other amplified antennas. Build this and enjoy a strong signal.

I used a $70 amplified set of rabbit ears with a huge knob that had like 50 settings and got 8 channels. I built the coat hanger antenna in half an hour and had 32 channels for under $5

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/6/09 12:17 a.m.
Wally wrote: Struck by the irony of the situation I unloaded on him, somewhat loudly how being on TV stamps had to be worse than food stamps.

TV stamps. wally wins! i actually snarfed at that.

triumph7
triumph7 New Reader
1/6/09 7:30 a.m.

A Best Buy sales guy told me that after Feb 17 when the analog transmitters get turned off that most of the stations will be boosting the power on their digital signal and you should be able to receive more stations.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/6/09 7:37 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
Wally wrote: Struck by the irony of the situation I unloaded on him, somewhat loudly how being on TV stamps had to be worse than food stamps.
TV stamps. wally wins! i actually snarfed at that.

Yay, Wally! TV stamps.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
1/6/09 7:38 a.m.

Unfortunately, most Best Buy sales people are not the most educated people going. There are some, but they barely drag the average up to mediocre. I'm not saying that he's wrong, but it's the first that I've heard of this. On the other hand, there's the concern amongst many in the industry that lots of people that use antenna as their primary means of reception will lose channels.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
1/6/09 11:23 a.m.
mistanfo wrote: Unfortunately, most Best Buy sales people are not the most educated people going. There are some, but they barely drag the average up to mediocre. I'm not saying that he's wrong, but it's the first that I've heard of this. On the other hand, there's the concern amongst many in the industry that lots of people that use antenna as their primary means of reception will lose channels.

I live out in the boonies, and put in a Magnavox digital converter box a few months ago. We're getting considerably more channels with it than without it.

WilD
WilD Reader
1/6/09 12:21 p.m.

We switched to digital a few months ago and now get approximately twice as many channels (around 15), although some are touchy. I noticed I lose one of the channels for about five seconds every time a car goes by my house. I think I might try an amplified antena to improve the reception.

My only real complaint is that the sound is low on the digital for some reason, so I need to turn the TV volume up twice as high to hear the programs. I'm not sure what is going on with that...

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
5/26/09 10:09 p.m.

Above poster a canoe? In anycase try instructables.com and hulu has a TON of programming. Even though he's getting rid of the interwebs. Ahhh never mind... LOL

TR3only
TR3only Reader
5/27/09 10:45 a.m.

I bought 2 boxes at K-Mart, I think they are Zenith BRANDED Insignia boxes. I say that, because there appears to be only 1 or 2 models of converter box and they are ALL made by the same handful of companies in China. Before the box, our tv got about 6 to 8 over the air channels (with "rabbit ears"). After the latest scan, something you should do every now and then until June 13th, I got 21 channels, HOWEVER, MOST of those new channels are either children's programming or religious programming....stuff I wouldn't watch even if I was REALLLY bored. My favs so far? RTN and THIS....do these go away after the 12th?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/27/09 12:13 p.m.

When this first started to go down I bought two boxes with my GA TV Stamps just to piss Walldo off, now all I can say is THANK YOU GEORGE W!

We are a couple of blocks into Kid Rock Acres and the reception is poor at the least. With JUST rabbit ears I have 20 channels now.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
6/12/09 6:14 p.m.

Considering the digital changeover, I thought it would be a good idea to revive this thread.

My boys and I are building ours in the morning. I'll let you know how it goes!

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
6/13/09 1:16 a.m.

Two things:

1. Even after all the publicity over the past year, someone woke up today and wondered why their TV set had no reception.

2. VERY little tax money goes to food stamps. We are lucky enough to live in a country producing more food than we consume. Food stamps takes advantage of that surplus. People complaining about food stamps would complain about the resulting tax subsidies to farmers or the social costs this country would incur without them. The price for either of them is higher.

Sic 'em, Wally.

Luke
Luke Dork
6/13/09 2:05 a.m.

Bravo, Wally

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
te81w49LenotyC7jiDJNwJ7n7BY5hFRXUhNt7O20vDNib3ut1pKCXfnVkHnyT98U