1 2
Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/24/18 3:31 p.m.

I love my beyerdynamic DT990 pro’s. You’ll need an amp to drive them since they’re 250 ohm impedance and they’re open back, but they’re comfortable and work well for the types of music I listen to. 

I’ll also second the grado sr60e’s. I’ve borrowed them from my brother a few times. They’re awesome for rock 

BoxheadCougarTim
BoxheadCougarTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/18 10:49 a.m.

Another vote for Grados - I've got a set of pre-e SR60 and a set of SR125es. I like the SR125es somewhat better, but both are awesome.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
4/5/18 7:30 p.m.

1. What type of music do you listen to?

2. What kind of sound signature are you looking for? Neutral, V-U, W?

3. Open or closed preference?

4. What DAC/Headphone amp do yo have, if any?

Neutral/midforward - Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6XX $200 are pretty good neutral cans with decent bass when properly driven. Just rolled off in frequency response on both ends. Massdrop also has the yet to be released HD58X which used 150ohm driver instead of the 300ohm driver in the HD6XX and is tuned closer to the newer HD660S and HD600. The HD58X is $150. Both the HD6XX and HD58X are Massdrop exclusives:

Massdrop HD6XX

Massdrop HD58X

V shaped- If it weren't for being on-ear the 1 More Triple driver is quite nice for $200-$250... it's like a mini Fostex TH-X00 with a more focused mid and high presentation. It's a phenominal little portable fully closed headphone for a great price that just recently came out. They just need to make a full sized true over ear version with larger drivers and it would absolutely be something.

My absolute favorite dynamic though is a modded Fostex TH-X00PH (internal dampening,  different pads, and custom attenuators inside the pads) - bass/subbass impact and presence to die for, thick and beautifuly soulful mids, and energetic and detailed yet not piercing highs. You can find used like new ones for under $300. Brand new they are $450, when available. Only dynamic I like better for the bass and dynamics is the Focal Elear.....it has bass and dynamics that really reminds me of EQ'd STAX Lamda SR-L300/L500... it's just wonky in the highs and ~$600 used...

W shaped - hey if it's going to be a home system, you could just go for the top bang for the buck and get a used STAX SR-L300 with SRM-252S driver unit for ~$400-$450... garuntee your mind will be absolutely blown on the sound quality for the price. They aren't the most comfortable things to wear though... could upgrade to the much thicker L700 sheepskin leather earpads ($120).  STAX Lamdas are HIGH END sound territory for mid-fi price.... unbeatable. Will just need to EQ them some if you like bass.... they EQ pretty well though.

epoxypremier
epoxypremier New Spammer
12/25/19 1:27 a.m.

If you are going to buy [canoe headphones], you need to understand the difference between open-back and closed-back headphones and the technology used in both. It is more important that you have one with extended battery life.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/19 3:14 p.m.

To close this out, I ended up with another set of Bose. The previous set served me well hopefully this set will as well.

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
12/26/19 5:53 p.m.

Can't go wrong with Bose yes

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
12/26/19 6:19 p.m.

I use a pair of Sony headphones I picked up at Walmart about five years ago. They were either 15 or 20 bucks. Sound great!

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
2/10/20 9:40 p.m.

I recently got a set of Bose soundsport free  earbuds. I've never heard Bluetooth headphones that are even close to these. They were free with purchase of my iPhone or I'd have never shelled out the dough for them, but if my kids break them or something happens I'll definitely buy another set. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/10/20 11:43 p.m.

I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50X that I've worn 6-8 hours a day for the last 7-8 years. They sound great and block out a lot of background noise.  They are comfortable enough that a lot of the time I don't even have anything playing. If I really want quiet I have a set of 3m Pro Grade Earmuffs. Sometimes those aren't quiet enough by themselves so I add a set of foam earplugs.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86

https://www.amazon.com/3M-90565-4DC-PS-Pro-Grade-Earmuff/dp/B01MXYJ2QP

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/11/20 6:46 a.m.

I fell down a deep hole not too long ago that had me curious about 4000$ abyss magnaplanars. I do not have 4000$. I do however have 200$ and monoprice make a pair called the monolith that are severely tempting. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/11/20 7:23 a.m.
Mndsm said:

I fell down a deep hole not too long ago that had me curious about 4000$ abyss magnaplanars. I do not have 4000$. I do however have 200$ and monoprice make a pair called the monolith that are severely tempting. 

I have been tempted to try some of those as well. I'm not particularly happy with the Sennheiser HD569s that replaced my Sennheiser HD280s.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/11/20 7:40 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Huh. I'm usually really happy with Sennheiser, though admittedly my only Sennheiser piece right now is a gamezero gaming headset. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/11/20 9:22 a.m.

What about bone conduction headphones? 

I use headphones in areas where I still want to be hearing stuff going on around me so I don't get run over.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/11/20 10:00 a.m.

Wife and I both got a pair of new in box Verisonix N501s for $50 each a week or two back.  For someone who normally uses earbuds, they have amazing quality 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/18/22 9:29 p.m.

Another vote for Grados. Family owned in NY City, now on the third generation.

I've had a pair of SR125s for...19 years. I sent them to be overhauled about 10 years ago and got new drivers and pads for something like 50$. My new SR325s should last at least that long.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NYMlq7fvexKgp7tFFt8h8HMuvWVnfwmw9HRQDOqAnbREN1aYFVkFOkEQo5DaVKbV