Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
4/21/19 8:43 p.m.

Wow, that was ludicrously bad. Laughing out loud at how bad it was bad. Left an hr in and when we left there were only 3 people left in theater bad. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/21/19 8:47 p.m.

I stayed til the end, but the 1st one was so, so much better. I was definitely disappointed, although Chuck argued that this one was more faithful to the story. I don't care as much about that, to me Ron Perlman was a much more convincing Hellboy character. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
4/22/19 5:25 a.m.

I watched the whole thing. I didn't think the film as a whole was as good as the Ron Perlman one's but I did think David Harbour did a pretty good job as Hellboy. I also did appreciate that they at least tried to make the film stand on its own and not come off as trying to ride on the original's coattails (No Abe, no Liz, just a mention of Rasputin, completely different plot) and the fact that the writer was truly committed to the weird aspects of the franchise. It wasn't always coherent, but it was never boring.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
4/22/19 5:51 a.m.

Hmm. Mixed emotions about this. I really enjoyed the first 2 but never read the comics. Early clips of the new version really left me cold on Harbour's take on the character,  but later trailers seemed much better. Now you guys are reinforcing my early opinions.

I think I'll wait till it hits blueray.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/19 11:37 a.m.

The reviews describe it much like Sucker Punch so I'll watch it the same way: At home, doing other stuff to pass the time between awesome dumb action sequences.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
4/22/19 11:38 a.m.

Hellbad.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/22/19 12:28 p.m.

Watched this with the youngest the other day.  It was epically bad.  Went home and watched the 2004 Benicio Del Toro version.  Infinitely better.  I'd say the new one isn't worth the effort to stream, even for free.  

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
4/22/19 4:53 p.m.

I kinda feel like if you want to make a good movie these days, you should first pitch the idea to your studio, then release a teaser with no cast hired. 

Then go on Reddit and determine by reactions who to cast and the feel of the movie. 

It seems like the masses on Reddit have gotten increasingly good at determining immediately after castings have been released if a movie will bomb or not. As soon as Harbour was announced people were like "ermmm...nope." 

First teaser came around they were like "errmmmm still nope." 

Then the trailer: "definitely nope." 

I mean...that was a lot of test screenings to thousands of people who got a glimpse of your project and you still release junk? Come on! 

They'd be better of to sell it to Netflix and skip theatrical release. 

I'm hopeful for the Dune remake. Casting is 110%. Velenuev doesn't disapoint. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/22/19 8:05 p.m.

From the first teaser I filed this one under “Unnecessary remake / money grab”. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/22/19 9:25 p.m.

14 years is not nearly enough time to have passed for a remake. 

BigLou
BigLou New Reader
4/24/19 11:45 a.m.

Just watch the first one again on TV the other night.  With the reviews, I don't think I can pay money to see the new one. I will have to wait till it comes on tv or stream it.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
4/26/19 12:38 p.m.

I will say, I did feel like this one had a bit more depth written into the title character. Ron Perlman's version was pretty much just a lovesick teenager pissed off that his girlfriend broke up with him and that was about it. David Harbour's we saw much more existential angst and confusion from him about what his role in the world was, why he was killing fellow demons and monsters for the humans, why his "father" had spared him when he knew that he could bring about the end of the world.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3Y0RsYhcIjk7odUPXawkjHXp2YyUkGHjPZYktkNuYJ4luoTpTIXwPTbzTJuXwUO5