1 2
Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
2/3/14 4:31 p.m.

Just as the title says

That's the middle 20 acres of my 47 acre property. I was thinking about using a shredder and 6' blade attachment to carve out a simple track to run an ATV or off road go-kart on. Something to have fun with this summer. Now it's up to you to help me with track designs. Remember, there are also 4 horses out there and we use it to hunt deer when the season is on.

Have fun and let me see them!!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
2/3/14 4:51 p.m.

Heck, I dunno. Maybe something like this?

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
2/3/14 4:59 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: Heck, I dunno. Maybe something like this?

Done and Done. LOL Dunno if I can do that back there...

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
2/3/14 5:01 p.m.

Any number of rallycross courses?

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
2/3/14 5:04 p.m.

It's gotta be kinda temporary, in other words, has to be simply cut or just cleared out of the mesquites. It's really the in-laws property, but it's doing nothing now and why not have some fun.

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
2/3/14 5:09 p.m.

Do you have a plan view with some elevations or is this a completly flat piece of land?

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
2/3/14 5:19 p.m.

Just overlaid the nordschleife outline on my place. It actually fits well! THIS may be what we do...

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
2/3/14 5:19 p.m.

It's very flat.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
2/3/14 5:37 p.m.

Got a piece-of-crap car? Go drive it around back there for a while. Find the natural "lines" and get a feel for how the terrain flows. My guess is that a solution will present itself. Once you wear in a bit of a rut, you'll have an easy map to follow with your tractor.

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
2/3/14 8:45 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Got a piece-of-crap car? Go drive it around back there for a while. Find the natural "lines" and get a feel for how the terrain flows. My guess is that a solution will present itself. Once you wear in a bit of a rut, you'll have an easy map to follow with your tractor.

drsmooth
drsmooth Reader
2/3/14 11:25 p.m.

Start small like Lime Rock. Much easier to maintain.. Then when you get bored of it build the Lime Rock Mountain circuit..

MAP

Details

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
2/4/14 12:04 a.m.

Thanks, I needed that!

Op, I was really hoping you were going to try to create an asphalt track for $20K.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
2/4/14 12:20 a.m.

Monza? Its flat, so it will be accurate.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
2/4/14 3:10 a.m.

Also, its a shame you live in Texas, otherwise you could be doing this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUuatO20Uhc

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
2/4/14 4:19 a.m.

just start hooning around out there and see what evolves..

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
2/4/14 5:38 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Got a piece-of-crap car? Go drive it around back there for a while. Find the natural "lines" and get a feel for how the terrain flows. My guess is that a solution will present itself. Once you wear in a bit of a rut, you'll have an easy map to follow with your tractor.

Yea, I pretty much agree with this thinking. Since ATV fun was mentioned, that's a good way also to carve in the track.

If no blading and such is done (or at least not much), the "track" can be changed seasonally for variety.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
2/4/14 7:44 a.m.

Damn, lost my post and it took forever to find the thread again.

I love the idea of Monza, I was going to suggest the Brands HAtch Indy circuit:

Something like the ring is way way to complicated.

Also I'd use only half of your 20 acres. Do the track on 10 acres and leave 10 acres for parking. Then call you local SCCA and offer to host a rally cross

I have some friends who live on 'only' 8 acres. About 10 years ago the local SCCA lost a site for a rally cross like 2 days before the event so called them up. they wen out on the back 4 acres and moved a quick track. That's all the prep they did. The rallycross was run there with success. The cars soon tore up the cras scrub and left a track that they still mow today just for walking on. Here's a faint pic from Google maps.

You're looking at approx. 4 acres here.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/14 7:50 a.m.

I'll say +1 for wearing it in with a car, but when it comes to parking you can have your cake and eat it too with multiple layouts. Have a section of the track you can close off for parking when needed.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
2/4/14 7:59 a.m.

Brush hog it, then drive over it again and again and again.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
2/4/14 8:19 a.m.

If you want, I can drag the RX7 out there and we can see what sort of rallycross possibilities exist. You're a bit far from Houston, but if it's a good site we would be interested in running an event there.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse HalfDork
2/4/14 8:21 a.m.

Here's my rallycross track, done on 2 of my 3.15 acres, complete with track notes. It is not flat- the bit that dives into the forest drops in elevations pretty steeply.

This was accomplished with a John Deere 265 garden tractor, a chain saw, and a pair of wire dikes to cut out the old barbed wire fence.

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
2/4/14 8:35 a.m.

I actually have 47 acres. LOL Here's a whole google earth pic of my place...

The narrow part up by the road is what I mow and keep looking nice. You can see my house there on the north west corner of the property. the other large building is a barn, no it's not suitable for a shop. LOL The front 20+/- acres is pretty open, just lots of mesquite trees. That back acreage is pretty thick with large oaks and big mesquites. I'd like to refrain from messing around back there too much, but I'm sure a trail or 2 could be cut.

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
2/4/14 8:37 a.m.
Hasbro wrote:
Thanks, I needed that! Op, I was really hoping you were going to try to create an asphalt track for $20K.

Trust me brother, if I had the money, I would be ALL OVER that!! I always said, if I was obscenely wealthy, I'd have my own track and host all the GRM meets there.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/4/14 8:40 a.m.

That is a fantastic piece of property, I'm jealous.

I'm in favor of doing something smaller and simpler than the Ring, too. Scaling a 14-mile track down to fit into 20 acres will turn the sweepers into chicanes and make the whole thing less fun.

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
2/4/14 9:02 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: That is a fantastic piece of property, I'm jealous. I'm in favor of doing something smaller and simpler than the Ring, too. Scaling a 14-mile track down to fit into 20 acres will turn the sweepers into chicanes and make the whole thing less fun.

Thanks. Makes sense about The Ring. Monza looks good and rather "simple" to do compared to The Ring. Brands Hatch looks fun too!!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2QzMIZOtAA8w7pqQsZDos2rmZ8xIEf0vvxBnROZ6UXfnkWpgo7XKHxg0XgG464sD