1 2 3
aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/9/10 6:58 a.m.

My wife and I are meeting my mother in NY NY in June and we will be traveling around the New England area for 10 days.

I do want to spend time in NY, Boston, Martha's Vineyard and see some of natures sights along the coast.

Can you local guys give me some ideas and a route.

I am up to see a track especially if a race is on.

Preferred restaurants etc.

June 20 to 30th. Starting and ending at New York

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
3/9/10 7:18 a.m.

Spending a day on Nantucket riding a scooter around the island is nice. If the weather is nice the ferry ride out/back is cool too - pay a little extra for the top deck with the bar.

Check the schedule for Lime Rock Park... great place to see a sports car race.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/9/10 7:22 a.m.

June 18-19 New England Region Regional... sweet

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
3/9/10 7:32 a.m.

Do some vineyard tours around the finger lakes if you get a chance

minimac
minimac Dork
3/9/10 7:56 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Do some vineyard tours around the finger lakes if you get a chance

+1 This is a great way to spend a day or two. Lots of wineries around each of the lakes, nice roads, and beautiful scenery.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
3/9/10 8:01 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: June 18-19 New England Region Regional... sweet

If you are going upstate to the Finger Lakes... Watkins Glen for racing too

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
3/9/10 8:01 a.m.

There is a car museum in Sandwich, Mass...has a round stone barn with some nice cars.

Woods Hole, MA (where you can catch the ferry to MV) is home to the Oceanographic Institute. Nice place.I believe we ate at the Black Duck.Make sure you have reservations for the Ferry.

I look at pics of Martha's Vineyard every day. Check out the Aquinnah Lighthouse, Chappy and Menemsha. Edgartown and Oak Bluffs have beer.

Newport RI, has the beautiful gilded age "cottages" that belonged to the Vanderbilts/Astors etc. You can get a package tour for 2-3 of them.

We liked Chatham, MA. Nice beaches, nice views.

Make sure to eat at Beachcomber's in Wellfleet if you get the chance. Dive bar on the beach.

Be aware that Provincetown is a haven for "alternative lifestyles"...and they take it seriously.

If you venture to Maine, the Owl's Head Transportation Museum is a must see (I haven't been there yet).

I'll add more when I think of them.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
3/9/10 8:04 a.m.

In no particular order - Mystic Seaport, Newport RI, Cape Cod National Seashore, Fenway Park, Bar Harbor ME, Mt. Washington... (okay, I guess that was in some order - counterclockwise).

Food - Sally's Apizza or Pepe's in New Haven (coin toss), Mystic Pizza isn't worth the trip, but Abbot's Lobster in-the-Rough in Noank absolutely is! Also, Redbones in Cambridge.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/9/10 9:13 a.m.

It may sound corny, but the Freedom Trail in Boston is pretty cool if you are into history at all.

the USS Constitution is also there, and worth a look.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
3/9/10 10:35 a.m.

I am posting this from Martha's Vineyard(work). I will email you off forum with some cool things if I can think of any. I have lived in MA so long nothing seems cool anymore. Ferry trip to the Vineyard is fun. I find the Vineyard to be way more fun that Nantucket during the summer,but then again I am not a beach person. Swing by my place,and see your possible new car.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
3/9/10 4:18 p.m.

If you are in the Boston area on the 20th this should be fun:

http://www.larzanderson.org/Topics/Topic.cfm?TopicName=Show%20Event&CalendarEventId=36

I have been to several events at the Larz Anderson. Mostly the Japanese car,and motorcycle day,and micro car day,but German day should be a good take as well.

I will think of more.

Chris

Josh
Josh Dork
3/9/10 5:03 p.m.

Owls head is fantastic. Try to go on a weekend while they are having a show, the 19th/20th is the Custom Vehicles and Antique Aeroplane Show, it's really cool to see the old stuff get up in the air. It's a nice drive up, and you can get a lobster roll at Red's Eats in Wiscasset on the way back home (I don't eat lobster myself, but I still like Red's, and they are famous for the lobster rolls).

I seem to recall you're also a beer guy, and there are many worthy destinations up here in Maine. Ebenezer's in Lovell, and the Great Lost Bear and Novare Res in Portland are all world class Beer Geek meccas. Portsmouth Brewery in Portsmouth, NH is also on that list. Allagash in Portland is a relatively small operation, but they give a very informative tour with samples of several of their offerings. Many great brewpubs scattered around the state as well.

Redbones is a great suggestion, fantastic BBQ and a serious beer list.

steamcorners
steamcorners Reader
3/9/10 5:20 p.m.

Maine. Everything else pales.

But, seriously, check out the Freedom Trail in Boston. I could spend weeks just hitting everything along the trail, and when I went, we only spent about 4 hours. With an 18-month-old kid. Yeah, I missed a bunch.

Plymouth is ok, but nothing spectacular. Didn't spend enough time on the Cape, but it was gorgeous.

Newport=$$. Nice town, great views of the oceans and the houses.

Ditto the "meh" on Mystic Pizza, but it's a cool town.

But, by all means, go to Maine. We had a weeklong trip planned to southern New England. Boston, the Cape, Newport, and Mystic. We spent 3 days in Boston. After eating at the famed "Legal Seafood" and being disappointed, we hopped in the car the next evening, headed for Maine. Having been there (Bar Harbor) on our honeymoon, we knew what to look for.

We got off I-95 in the first exit over the border from NH, (Kittery? I think it had a bunch of outlet shops, a plus for the wife) and relied on the GPS to get us near the water. We found a little hole-in-the-wall seafood joint, that absolutely blew Legal away. Wonderful lobster, chowder, everything. Name? Sadly, that was 3 years ago. . .memory is failing me.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/9/10 6:48 p.m.
Josh wrote: Owls head is fantastic.

x10.

and Portland Maine is one of the greatest cities in the country.

Josh
Josh Dork
3/9/10 9:10 p.m.
steamcorners wrote: We found a little hole-in-the-wall seafood joint, that absolutely blew Legal away. Wonderful lobster, chowder, everything. Name? Sadly, that was 3 years ago. . .memory is failing me.

Haha, it really doesn't matter, man. You could probably duplicate that experience in just about every coastal Maine town :).

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/9/10 9:17 p.m.

Damn, I should have done this years ago. You locals will have to send me your contact details and we can meet up for a feed whilst i am in the area.

Josh
Josh Dork
3/9/10 9:33 p.m.

I'm up for that, June 19/20 is a slow weekend for autocross up here looking at the current schedules, so I might just take my bike up to Owls Head for the weekend. Maybe I'll see you there :).

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/9/10 9:38 p.m.

If you do get to Maine, you can't go wrong if you keep the ocean to your right and drive North. You'll find great food and amazing scenery everywhere.

I spent an entire Summer doing just that on this:

Photobucket

It was the best Summer of my life.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/9/10 10:19 p.m.

Do any of you guys have access to a sail boat, I have always wanted to sail the New England (Chesapeake) waterways? Just a few hours would be awesome.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA HalfDork
3/10/10 1:00 a.m.
bludroptop wrote: In no particular order - Mystic Seaport, Newport RI, Cape Cod National Seashore, Fenway Park, Bar Harbor ME, Mt. Washington... (okay, I guess that was in some order - counterclockwise). Food - Sally's Apizza or Pepe's in New Haven (coin toss), Mystic Pizza isn't worth the trip, but Abbot's Lobster in-the-Rough in Noank absolutely is! Also, Redbones in Cambridge.

Mystic Pizza wasn't there until after the movie. Somebody took advantage of all the tourists inquiring about the pie, all the while missing the real thing in New Haven.

You owe it to yourself to have apizza (yes, that's the spelling) in New Haven. If Pepe's or Sally's is unbearable (more than 37 hours wait is not worth it. Anything less is.), try Modern Apizza on State Street.

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
3/10/10 9:16 p.m.

I'm new to the area and I'm not sure about a lot of local attractions but I have cold beer if you want to swing by. Sorry, no cable so we can't watch any races. LOL Seriously though, I know there's a lot up here I just haven't had a chance to do a whole lot. Very beautiful scenery. Kancamangas Highway is pretty nice. It's kinda like Cherahola Skyway only colder.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
5/13/10 5:53 p.m.

This is getting closer now, what would be a good 10 day route starting from New York and heading north, I have to end up back at JFK around the 30th.

Food, Museums, History, Car Stuff (just a bit, I will be the only car guy there), Sailing and watersports,

Seafood out the wazzo.....

Micro breweries for the win

Any fairs, events etc during this period?

Mazdax605 please email me

Steve

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/13/10 5:54 p.m.

beat up a few red sox/celtics/patriots fans while you are up there.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
5/13/10 6:01 p.m.

That's the light work, FIL will handle that...

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
5/13/10 6:32 p.m.

Aussie,

I'll send you some pics that Mazdax605 sent me.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PyQL148est2fquGxzJXXdQGESBz3kFS0A8Bc6awuGPfDKn9z7i80K0w4qdduppUc