1 2 3
alex
alex SuperDork
10/17/11 6:31 p.m.

My 5+ year-old Sanyo flip phone is finally showing signs of wearing out. This coincides with Sprint (which I'm definitely keeping) finally carrying the iPhone, and a time when I could legitimately use a smartphone to make my business life easier.

I've been an Apple guy almost all my life. My family's first computer was a Macintosh Classic, and I've never had anything else. But I'm the kind of fanboy who thinks they can do no wrong. I don't like the proprietary and guarded nature of a lot of their stuff, but I like the fact that they tend to work, quite well, in a generally seamless fashion.

I'm a big fan of Google in general, too. I like the open source thing, I like the open app store, and I like the universal hardware connections. The new Samsung is supposed to seriously rock.

So, influence me. Sway me. Sell me.

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
10/17/11 6:40 p.m.

I'd go iPhone 4S or WP7.5 over Android but Sprint doesn't appear to have any good WP7.5 phones so....

I've got an "old" iPhone 4 and am not really an Apple fan but it just plains works and iOS5 is a nice update, even without Siri. Somebody's going to get your info, track you, whatever - just depends on who you want doing it, Apple, Google or MS.

aggravator
aggravator New Reader
10/17/11 6:57 p.m.

im on verizon and dont know about sprint. my advice, that may not be relevant, is to make sure your device is 4G compatible. might not be an issue in more rural areas as it'l probably be two years or more before they upgrade those towers.

the 4G-lte is a serious upgrade from 3G, using a mifi the 4G connection (when i can get one of the new towers) is as fast as my comcast 12meg/s cable internet!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/17/11 7:15 p.m.

Sprint is on a major tear to get 4g everywhere.

Personally, I like iPhones.. they are great phones, but I will never own one while I work with some serious fanbois. Two of the ones I work with, that is ALL they talk about

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/17/11 7:36 p.m.

I gave back my IPhone.

You will be unhappy if you get anything other than an IPhone.

peter
peter Reader
10/17/11 7:41 p.m.

I've been a Mac user on and off since the mid-80s. My first smart phone was an iPhone 3G, it was awesome. My current phone is a Thunderbolt on Verizon's LTE network. Even though I only got it in March, I'm dying to replace it.

If you like things that "just work", go for the iPhone. It's intuitive, its interface is consistent (not a minor thing), and it just plain works. As I understand it, iOS 5 solved a lot of the issues that caused me to choose Android the last time around.

My Android phone is on the LTE (true 4G) network. It was stupid fast for the first few weeks, 13Mbit/sec or more. Now the network is either crowded or throttled, and it's slower. Also, the LTE radio sucks the juice right out of the battery, you can practically watch it drain. My phone won't go a whole day of light use without a recharge. The interface is completely inconsistent. In some apps, the "back" button does one thing, in others it does something completely different. Even within the same app, buttons do not behave the same way each time.

The one thing that Android had going for it when I signed on was great notification systems - blinking LEDs for emails, email subject lines presented on the lock screen, custom notifications per mailbox, etc. iOS 4 couldn't touch it, and I really, really need to know the instant an email arrives. iOS 5 has supposedly filled in a lot, if not all of those blanks (I still don't think it has a blinking LED).

I'm a computer guy, I thought I'd want to tweak the phone and play around with software, etc. I was wrong. I just want something that works and that has NOT been my experience with Android.

My hearty recommendation? Get the iPhone.

Marty!
Marty! Dork
10/17/11 8:15 p.m.

iPhone 4 here, my son has a DroidX or sumthin' like that. I wholly prefer the iOS system to Android.

The thing that I REALLY like about the iPhone is the real glass used for the the screen. I'm not sure if other phone makers have caught up to using it yet but I love that my screen doesn't get rub marks or hazy from tiny scratches that plague other phones.

davidjs
davidjs Reader
10/17/11 9:37 p.m.

I just got a Galaxy S2 (international edition, but consider it close enough).

I like it. It's an impressive phone. It's also VERY big (my sweet spot is probably more like a 4.0" screen, as I have stubby fingers). It's also slippery, which, combined with it's size, makes me nervous to use it over concrete (which was how I killed my previous phone).

I'm getting around a day of battery life out of it, but keep a car charger handy

I recommend trying to find someone who has an iphone and an android, and play with it for a few minutes... that will help give you a sense if you even care...

pigeon
pigeon Dork
10/17/11 9:41 p.m.

I dictated this response using my iPhone. That's all you need to know.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
10/17/11 9:44 p.m.

Ok, not really all you need to know but the dictation and Siri are uncanny how good they work. I have been with iPhones since the 3G and have even very very happy. I jail broke one for about a week before I got bored and restored it back. I've played with friends' android phones and agree with what's already been posted about the infuriating nature of the non-standard interface. The apps for the iPhone also just work.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/17/11 9:44 p.m.

My wife has a Droid somethingsomething and an iPhone. The Droid is too much of a PC - you're always having to screw with it to make it work and the experience is patchy. The iPhone is a phone, it just works. Regardless of what you think about Apple's business practices, they're great at interfaces.

There's no contest in her mind.

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
10/17/11 9:52 p.m.

I have a Galaxy S (not S2) so I can't say much about the phone, but comparing it to my ipod touch (not iphone) I'll say the android marketplace offers more things for free, or more complete free versions of apps (for example, instead of being a limited version, it will be the full version with ads). The ipod (and friend's iphone 4 that i played with) seems to be far less glitchy. I'm not pushing either option, just my observations. If I had a choice to upgrade to a Galaxy S2 or an iPhone, i'd probobly go for the iPhone if the price was the same. FYI I'm personally NOT an Apple fan, especially for computers.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
10/17/11 10:07 p.m.

Galaxy, for one reason and one reason only. What Rufledt said. If you are used to Apple and like it, get the iPhone. You will feel more comfortable and enjoy the experience. The other 89% of PC users will probably find the Android more appealing.

or maybe not

aggravator
aggravator New Reader
10/17/11 10:10 p.m.
Keith wrote: The Droid is too much of a PC -

ever use a phone running windows mobile?

wileylehman
wileylehman
10/18/11 12:19 a.m.

I would suggest that you go for Samsung Galaxy S2. I am although using iPhone 4 for now, but since i was disappointed with the newest launch of iPhone 4s. I find Samsung Galaxy S2 to be way better than iPhone 4s. Its got the most competitive spec in the market and its available at a better price.

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
10/18/11 6:59 a.m.

Assuming you aren't going to buy a case for your phone there is always this (but really, buy a case for some kind of protection).

http://gadgetbox.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/17/8365613-drop-test-iphone-4s-vs-galaxy-s-ii

aggravator said: ever use a phone running windows mobile?

Oh yes I have... unfortunately! WinMo 6.1/6.5 sucks big time, of course the piece of junk HTC Touch Pro II it was on wasn't any better and was probably part of the problem - thanks for that experience Sprint.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
10/18/11 7:06 a.m.

I like my android. The only problem I have is the processor can't always run what I throw at it. Unlikely with the newer androids with a trajillion core processor.

I work 0600-1400 and if I post to the forums within those times, I'm on the phone. There are more applications available on the android market.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
10/18/11 7:24 a.m.
FlightService wrote: Galaxy, for one reason and one reason only. What Rufledt said. If you are used to Apple and like it, get the iPhone. You will feel more comfortable and enjoy the experience. The other 89% of PC users will probably find the Android more appealing.

I hate Mac computers but I prefer iPhones to Andriods by a mile.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/18/11 7:27 a.m.

I like vanilla ice cream.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
10/18/11 7:34 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I like vanilla ice cream.

Could you be a little more specific? People have decisions hanging on this.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
10/18/11 7:38 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote:

What is it about French Vanilla that makes it French?
And how is Vanilla Bean different from regular Vanilla? Is it just those unsightly black specks?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/18/11 7:41 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
N Sperlo wrote:
What is it about French Vanilla that makes it French? And how is Vanilla Bean different from regular Vanilla? Is it just those unsightly black specks?

I don't know about any of that. I've just spent time eating all kinds of ice cream, and i've decided that vanilla is the best.

Is Vanilla Bean something new? I MUST HAVE THAT.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
10/18/11 7:50 a.m.

So there ya have it, Alex. We have slimmed your choices down from iphone vs android to some type of vanilla.

Aren't we great?!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/18/11 8:06 a.m.

I am firmly in the iPhone4 camp (my 4s is on the way!) because I want everything to work, and work together. The options and accessories for iPhones are almost limitless. Sure, I drank the Kool-Aid and I now wear black turtlenecks with jeans, but my technology works!

That said, don't be too swayed by the number of available apps available. Sure, the iPhone has more, but do you need 25 different to-do list apps? You just need one that works and I am sure that Android has one.

Same for performance. The 4s has a better processor than the 4, but some of the Samsung phones spec out way above either. It comes down to daily use and for that, I bet they are a wash. Some Droid devices have bigger screens which is nice for gaming and videos, but harder to use one-handed. Again, a wash.

The only real difference is 4G which can really make a difference, but some users complain about throttling, so that may be a wash as well.

IOS5 - to IOS5 texting is now free, so that could be a factor for you. But it's easier to make your own apps on Android.

So no clear winner, I have been no help, sorry about that, move along.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/18/11 8:27 a.m.

I'm an Android guy, started out with an OG Droid, now have a Droid X, and anxiously awaiting the Galaxy Nexus. But I'm not an iOS hater, it works fine, too. It all comes down to personal preference. I like the more open nature of Android, how there's no central authority deciding which apps to make available. I like the variety of hardware. You want a big screen or a small one? Physical keyboard or not? Do you need a front-facing camera? Want to replace your battery? Want to add more onboard storage? All of these are choices available with Android phones. With the iPhone, you get what they make. Though it is a great phone, of course.

FWIW, Android passed iOS in market share last year, and the number of apps is quickly catching up, too. At this point, the app thing is a wash, IMO. Any major "gotta have it" app is going to come out for both platforms.

My advice would be to spend some time playing with an iPhone and whatever Android phone suits your fancy, and then decide. You honestly can't really make a bad decision here. The technology that we are able to carry around in our pockets right now is amazing.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kf9mNp3hEiB4SbwMNOeKjCkpozkZYmRCBGjftvHH4C6PmbdZcUMjXO2FV5VtdpvE