Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
8/7/18 10:12 p.m.

I'm looking for some help to learn the right way to upgrade the power going out to my detached garage.  Currently I have a 25x25 2-bay garage with power fed from what appears to be a single 15A breaker in the house.  There is no sub-panel in the garage, just a handful of lights and outlets.  I'd like to do a major upgrade, so that I can have Level-2 electric car charging OR a welder plugged in out in the garage, I don't foresee the need to ever need both at the same time.  I have the charger, but not a welder yet.  I'm assuming this will go on a 40-50A breaker of its own.  The good news is the house is currently setup with a 200A service and I am not taking full advantage of all that power in the house.

The image below shows my current situation;

• Blue = Home fuse panel, 200A
  • Orange = Existing power entry to detached garage, from the side wall
  • Purple = Short concrete apron
  • Green = Potential third garage bay expansion
  • Black = Existing blacktop 

This may be added complication, but I would like to run my power in such a way that I could add a third garage bay someday where the green box is shown.  What I don't know is the best route to get it there and what my limitations are in terms of electrical code for locating a subpanel in that corner of the garage.  I've been browsing around garage journal, but I feel like I need some basics before I can dive into this one.  Any help is appreciated.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
8/8/18 4:12 a.m.

Well,  Spend a small fortune in 4 gauge wire and conduit, then pay someone to tunnel under the concrete for the shortest run to the house.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iYsiDHRi4mIv2IM1sy05j9D1jq8QAwpyJD2zncd3xNHDn4mvFVnzzdmbHlxGRkmJ