1 2
hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/14/10 11:35 a.m.

I finally got to see the Flaming Lips in concert last night. Part concert, part performance art, part psychedelic trip....all good. I would equate the antics and effects with some of the best arena shows I have been to and this was in a smaller outdoor venue in St. Pete.

If you like their music the show is a blast. The back screen graphics are really amazing

Not picks from my show but examples of the event.

The test is over....now....

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/14/10 11:44 a.m.

There's something about going to see a live show. I saw GWAR this past Saturday, and this coming weekend is D.R.I. I already have tickets for upcoming NOFX and Suicidal Tendencies shows. Never saw the Flaming Lips, though.

hobiercr
10/14/10 11:46 a.m.

I'm REALLY bummed because the Social Distortion show on the 11th sold out before I even knew they were coming! Too many car project searches keeping me away from my Pollstar searches...

David S. Wallens
10/14/10 11:49 a.m.

I saw Social Distortion open for The Ramones a million years ago.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/14/10 12:12 p.m.

Me First And The Gimme Gimmes are playing DC very, very soon. I'm extremely tempted to go.

Saw the Flaming Lips at Virgin Fest a few years back. Wild show. They definitely create an environment.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
10/14/10 12:19 p.m.
hobiercr wrote: I'm REALLY bummed because the Social Distortion show on the 11th sold out before I even knew they were coming! Too many car project searches keeping me away from my Pollstar searches...

They're coming to Orlando this month. I will be there.

Flaming Lips are a hit-or-miss band to me as a listener, but I bet their live show is fantastic.

David S. Wallens
10/14/10 1:18 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Me First And The Gimme Gimmes are playing DC very, very soon. I'm extremely tempted to go.

I'd go. I didn't know they were on tour. Looks like they're playing near here on Oct. 30. Great, now I have three shows to choose from for that night.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
10/14/10 1:22 p.m.

I have no idea what any of you are talking about, although I think it has something to do with musical concerts....Which is disappointing since I was expecting pictures of a fine looking woman...

hobiercr
10/14/10 2:02 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: I was expecting pictures of a fine looking woman...

For that you must go to the show. The majority of the FL background 40' tall screen was a naked woman dancing. Having said that, the crowd talent was not shabby either. Not that I was looking, seeing that I was with my wife.

hobiercr
10/14/10 2:04 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I saw Social Distortion open for The Ramones a million years ago.

THAT was probably an awesome show. I bet your ears rang for a week.

David S. Wallens
10/14/10 2:11 p.m.
hobiercr wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: I saw Social Distortion open for The Ramones a million years ago.

You know how opening acts generally sound a little off? It was one of those nights. I remember Social D kind of droning on. The Ramones sounded awesome, though. One, two, free, four! Plus we got in for free courtesy of WUOG.

hobiercr
10/14/10 3:15 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
hobiercr wrote:
You know how opening acts generally sound a little off? It was one of those nights. I remember Social D kind of droning on. The Ramones sounded awesome, though. One, two, free, four! Plus we got in for free courtesy of WUOG.

Reminds me of when I went to see Missing Person's back in '83. Dale Bozzio got sick so MP didn't play. We got to see some lame-ass opening band called the Violent Femmes. They were LOUD and annoying and there weren't even any chicks in the band! WTF?

TJ
TJ SuperDork
10/14/10 3:24 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: I have no idea what any of you are talking about, although I think it has something to do with musical concerts....Which is disappointing since I was expecting pictures of a fine looking woman...

I'm in a similar boat here. Who or what is a Yoshimi?

hobiercr
10/14/10 3:34 p.m.
Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
10/14/10 5:34 p.m.

WEEN is highly recomended.

TJ
TJ SuperDork
10/14/10 5:56 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr:

Thanks, saved me 15 seconds of googling. I usually have a list of things to google someday floating around in my head and now I don't have to add Yoshimi to it. Heck, I just recently got turdburgers off my list or whatever that stuff from Kentucky is called.

David S. Wallens
10/14/10 6:47 p.m.

Though I admit that this weekend I saw an exception to the opening act blues, as The Casualties kicked butt when opening for GWAR. I'd definitely see them again.

The worst was some band that once opened for Dick Dale. Dick Dale's first chord simply destroyed their entire set.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
10/14/10 8:11 p.m.
hobiercr wrote: I'm REALLY bummed because the Social Distortion show on the 11th sold out before I even knew they were coming! Too many car project searches keeping me away from my Pollstar searches...

Wow, when I opened this I did not expect Social D.
Just two days ago I discovered they are touring. Cleveland show (1 hour away) Sold Out. Detroit show (2 hours away) on a day that I will be in Reston, VA for work.

Social D is one band that I would really like to see live.
Does anyone here have an inside line to The Cleveland House of Blues?

For those not in-the-know, here is a link to the greatest Johnny Cash remake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbFlM6pFjso&feature=related
NSFW if you are disturbed by the loud MF'er thrown out in the middle.

hobiercr
10/15/10 9:11 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: WEEN is highly recomended.

WEEN is on the "to see list" as well as Weezer.

In terms of great low budget shows I have never been disappointed with a Cracker, Southern Culture on the Skids, Alejandro Escovedo or Richard Thompson gig. The first two being a little more upbeat than the second two.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
10/15/10 10:34 a.m.

Ugh... I ran into the members of Ween in a small club in New Hope, PA where a friend's band was playing. What a bunch of a-holes... haven't been able to listen to them since... then "Push the Little Daisies" came out shortly afterwards and I had no desire to see them...

I saw Social Distortion open for Neil Young some 20 years ago... unfortuantely, as much as we were looking forward to seeing them, the sound was bit droning there as well.

David S. Wallens
10/15/10 2:10 p.m.
Ian F wrote: I saw Social Distortion open for Neil Young some 20 years ago... unfortuantely, as much as we were looking forward to seeing them, the sound was bit droning there as well.

Hmmm, maybe it's a trend. I still like their albums, though.

We saw a ton of great shows while in school in Athens: Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr., Mojo Nixon, B-52's, They Might Be Giants, Corrosion of Conformity, Violent Femmes, etc., etc. Plus the covers were always student-friendly. We also had a ton of really good local bands. Roosevelt was a standout: http://www.myspace.com/rooseveltband

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
10/15/10 2:16 p.m.

For sure. Go to their merch section of their website, and you'll likely see me. I'm one of the t-shirt models. No joke.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
10/15/10 2:35 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
hobiercr wrote:

And to continue the trend, I saw The Ramones open for Pearl Jam in Austin about a million years ago. Back when PJ was doing the "TicketMaster is the devil" days.

The Ramones did about 35 songs in 25 minutes. On one hand, it wasn't far from what I expected, on the other, I was sad there wasn't more....

(and I just realized; since that concert I have worked with someone who was good friends with the Ramones and would hang out with them ever time they came to Austin and someone else who grew up with Eddie Vedder...... weird...)

-Rob

David S. Wallens
10/15/10 2:37 p.m.
16vCorey wrote:
For sure. Go to their merch section of their website, and you'll likely see me. I'm one of the t-shirt models. No joke.

You know that's just setting up someone for the hotlink police.

hobiercr
10/15/10 2:46 p.m.
16vCorey wrote:

or is that w "EE" n?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7trztb0sdoCIXhQVUmt7HHeGeHeECV6nz4TvKLC4gjU4OaCB45HyDMGm4jB02rcR