1 ... 4 5 6
Rumnhammer
Rumnhammer New Reader
9/4/08 8:08 p.m.

Getting back to the orginal posting a bit....... I saw a news report about residents coming back to NO a few days earlier then expected, and I was hoping to see people glad to get back to resume their lives, relatively intact.

Anyone care to guess what I saw on this report? More then half of the people interviewed, (perhaps 10 in the segment) were bitching about having to leave and THE GREAT COST of having to stay in a hotel for 4 days!!! I guess they were expecting to have the government pick up the tab again for this. One guy was saying he spent $400 he didn't have on hotels for 4 days..... Firstly I really doubt that hotels in podunk LA cost $100 a night, secondly he said he blamed the government for "overreacting and having everyone evacuate" Hence blaming the government for doing what the government was blamed for NOT doing during Katrina.........

I suppose that they think the government is clarvoiant enought to know in advance the damage that one hurricane will do and not what a differnt one will do.

Most of the rest of the people were less vocal, but most said that they would not bother leaving if they were warned of another hurricane coming. So I guess when (not if) the next hurricane comes and destroys NO any death and distruction will only be the governments fault if Mcain is in the white house. Obama will get a pass of course and a hurricane will be once again refered to as an act of god. Oh wait a minute, of course no hurricane will ever hit NO if Obama is pres because god would not let that happen to NO on Obamas watch since he is the new messiah.........

After seeing what Pailin is made of, I really would expect to see her sandbagging though.

Like a friend of mine once said ,"some people will complain that if you give them a bar of gold that it is not shiny enough."

Chris

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
9/4/08 9:04 p.m.

Did we pay for anyone on welfare in NO to go back to there after we relocated them somewhere else after Katrina? Why? Those people had their way out paid for, they were given everything they needed to start over somewhere else, all they had to do was maintain a positive attitude and take advantage of the opportunity.

My father works for FEMA, he was one of those people in Houston who handed out FEMA-funded plane tickets for relocated folks to anywhere they wanted to go. All they had to do, every last one of them, was name a place, anyplace, and they would get free transportation to there and a head-start on starting a life. As far as I'm concerned, that was everything someone down on their luck could hope for, a fresh start anywhere they wanted to go. All they had to do was step up and make a tiny effort.

Anyone who then relocated back to NO without a plan for their life, without a job or home to restore and return to, has turned their back on the opportunity I gave them at a better life. I and the rest of America came together to offer them everything they needed to step up out of the life they were in. We didn't do it the very next day, but it happened eventually.

Lots of them took the opportunity and ran with it, one guy here locally has opened a great resturaunt I love. Several families bothe here and where my parent's live have relocated and moved on and are now contributing members of thier new localities instead of leeches on Louisianna.

Any of them that didn't take the opportunity, though, that went back and expect me to rebuild their lives for them, they can kiss my arse. If they can't recognize an opportunity like that then I have no use for them. Fool me once, shame on you, but I'm not going to be taken for a ride again by someone who should by now know better.

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EuK9UNpB1J2W49qSrShO7oJcPNVUBMofmD7iNr9EYNp8xEszVgGlXm14WDIukPPQ