Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/31/12 5:56 p.m.

Work needs me to go to Umatilla, OR in BF-flipping-E. Dumbass regional airlines want me to fly from Portland to Seattle before going to Pasco, WA where I'd have to rent a car to drive 40 minutes to BFE.

What I really need is a local guy with a Cessna 182 who'll pick my butt up in Kelso and drop me off in BFE and visa-versa.

Where the heck do I go to find that guy? (Besides to the airport... hmmm)

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/31/12 6:18 p.m.

I wonder if a flight school in your area might have just such a pilot in need of a few extra hours?

Anti-stance
Anti-stance SuperDork
10/31/12 6:40 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill:

Thats not a bad idea at all.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/31/12 6:58 p.m.

Maybe ask around at the local airport?

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
10/31/12 7:35 p.m.

Remember, if you hire a private pilot, we're only officially allowed to accept half the cost of the flight. Anything more is considered commercial. Make sure your stories are straight (wink, wink.)

Anti-stance
Anti-stance SuperDork
10/31/12 8:33 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

That raises a good question, I am familiar with a private pilot and commercial license, but how does the FAA keep tabs on that? The honor system?

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
10/31/12 9:09 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Remember, if you hire a private pilot, we're only officially allowed to accept half the cost of the flight. Anything more is considered commercial. Make sure your stories are straight (wink, wink.)

Part 61 does read like this would work...

If that's the case, plenty of pilots would probably enjoy the chance for two half-priced flights.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/31/12 9:39 p.m.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the pilot has a Commercial License, can't they charge full price?

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
10/31/12 9:58 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
Appleseed wrote: Remember, if you hire a private pilot, we're only officially allowed to accept half the cost of the flight. Anything more is considered commercial. Make sure your stories are straight (wink, wink.)
Part 61 does read like this would work... If that's the case, plenty of pilots would probably enjoy the chance for two half-priced flights.

Or, could you just pay for the half flight, and then give an equal sized tip for "excellent service?"

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
10/31/12 10:38 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the pilot has a Commercial License, can't they charge full price?

Well yeah, but expect it to cost more.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
11/1/12 6:22 a.m.

Call local flight clubs to find out who will work with you. I imagine a 182 or similar bug smasher would run $100/hr for a member to rent, so figure those kinds of costs are going into this.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/1/12 8:02 a.m.

You need this guy:

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
11/1/12 8:08 a.m.

Call the local airports on both ends of the propose flight and say you want to charter an airplane for 1 passenger. I've done it before. Worked out fine.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/12 9:06 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
Javelin wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the pilot has a Commercial License, can't they charge full price?
Well yeah, but expect it to cost more.

Bossman is paying (and willing to pony up for the Regional guys), so that's fine with me!

914Driver
914Driver GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/12 9:43 a.m.

However, if the flight school guy is an Instructor and you as a newbie student need some saddle time, why not log it from A to B? You pay for the gas, the pilot's time and maybe lunch.

Dan

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
11/1/12 10:36 a.m.

This outfit is close to you.

http://www.roseair.com/

To fly for compensation the pilot must be on a FAA approved part 135 certificate. Essentially this is an air taxi/charter license. The pilot needs to hold a commecial or airline transport pilot license. The pilot must have company specific training and pass two check rides annually.The airplane must be on an approved maintenance program.

Our Preferred Partners
V2a7jLXG1nkOoHRi5P9g56Kvh93MNbY1o20jNtOXNfiVt6sTM4hXan023j7jBpjN