Pete240Z
Pete240Z UltraDork
6/7/12 4:57 p.m.

HF Tool Sale - Is this bad boy any good?

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt-cordless-38-drilldriver-with-keyless-chuck-68239.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2312b&utm_source=1002

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/7/12 5:00 p.m.

In reply to Pete240Z:

I don't know anything about the drill, but did you put a page link in an image tag? I get nothing on this page, but "view image" takes me to the product page at HF...

EDIT: I see that you fixed this while I was typing...

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
6/7/12 5:08 p.m.

I mean, for $16, the worst that can happen is you end up with a really funny looking hammer after a couple months.

Stack a 20% coupon on that bad boy and you're out the door for $13.60.

Pete240Z
Pete240Z UltraDork
6/7/12 5:24 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I mean, for $16, the worst that can happen is you end up with a really funny looking hammer after a couple months. Stack a 20% coupon on that bad boy and you're out the door for $13.60.

My HF won't let you use the 20% coupon on sale items.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
6/7/12 5:48 p.m.

I've got 2 of those plus a 14.5v version. I would buy another. They're not like my Makita, but they are well worth the sawbuck. And it's cheaper to buy another than to buy a spare battery, or within a buck or so.

The only thing you need to be wary of is that the battery charger is "stoopid." That is, you can not leave it charging over like 6 or 8 hours or it will cook the battery pack. I built a timer/strip thing from parts at Lowes that I plug the chargers into. Drop the charger in, set the timer to 8 hours, come back tomorrow.

Oh, and don't drop them off the roof. Ask me why I know that.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
6/7/12 5:52 p.m.

My dad has that drill and it's worse than not having one at all. You'll think, "oh yeah, I have this drill I can use" but it won't even cut through thin sheet metal studs. Maybe it would drill through soft pine if you have sharp drill bits, but one 2x4 would probably kill it.

I'm probably overly bitter about this drill because I was installing network outlets for my dad, working in his super sweaty attic and getting covered in blown-in insulation. I tried for 10 minutes to make one hole in a 20 gauge metal stud and it just wouldn't. I finally gave up, went home, got my Ryobi 18v, itself not exactly a high dollar tool, and it punched the hole through with the same drill bit in no time. The HF drill is 900rpm in "high" mode, versus 1600rpm for the Ryobi. And the battery life on the HF drill is terrible.

Sadly this is very much a "you get what you pay for" tool.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
6/7/12 5:54 p.m.

Heh heh, I like the contrast there. Well, I'm willing to admit my opinion is too harsh just because of one frustrating experience. But that's what it gets, for being in the attic with me. ;-)

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
6/7/12 8:11 p.m.

I've drilled a whole lot of 1/8" holes in 16 ga 304 stainless with mine.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/7/12 8:31 p.m.

I bought one at the last sale not expecting much, and boy did it deliver on those expectations. Usually I'm quite the proponent of HF stuff, but this particular item did not work out so good for me. The variable torque clutch deal was very inconsistent, and the battery life was crap.

But, again, for $17 you may want to take the gamble that you'll do better. I have a feeling if you got one put together on a day when the suicide nets at the factory weren't full it might not suck so bad.

jg

motomoron
motomoron Dork
6/8/12 10:37 a.m.

Buy an 18v DeWalt XRP and a spare set of brushes. Remember to pat yourself on the back in 10 years when you need to install them...

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
6/8/12 10:53 a.m.

I have learned to stay away from anything at Harbor Freight that is battery powered.

intrepid
intrepid New Reader
6/8/12 11:46 a.m.

I don't have that particular drill, but I have two of its predecessor, the blue 18 volt Drillmaster cordless drill they sold for about the same price. They have been excellent drills for the money. They had great power and have lasted well.

Sadly, I have noticed over the last year or so that Harbor Freight seems to be slipping in quality (yeah, I know; some people think they never had any quality). I don't know whether they are changing suppliers or just cutting costs, but I am much more wary of the newer versions of some products that I had good experiences with in the past.

-chris r.

Pete240Z
Pete240Z UltraDork
6/8/12 2:38 p.m.
motomoron wrote: Buy an 18v DeWalt XRP and a spare set of brushes. Remember to pat yourself on the back in 10 years when you need to install them...

I stopped and took a pass .

1. I know better, save up and get a good one.

2. My $20 bill went towards the Allen wrench set and garden hose quick disconnects for the wife. Happy wife = Happy husband. (ask me how I know this)

3. Didnt I learn my lesson with the HF die grinder?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
6/8/12 3:23 p.m.
Pete240Z wrote:
motomoron wrote: Buy an 18v DeWalt XRP and a spare set of brushes. Remember to pat yourself on the back in 10 years when you need to install them...
I stopped and took a pass . 1. I know better, save up and get a good one. 2. My $20 bill went towards the Allen wrench set and garden hose quick disconnects for the wife. Happy wife = Happy husband. (ask me how I know this) 3. Didnt I learn my lesson with the HF die grinder?

I loved the HF die grinders I have used.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
6/8/12 3:24 p.m.

The drill is ok for wood and stuff in my opinion. A friend borrowed it to install a stripper pole and I have used it fro several other small jobs.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GllVBUvyLD5Dqod86LEvCzZZyWVLges96QtWTyMwOxaNpc8dq6LCtq4fb4qfIntj