1 2 3
ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/9/08 6:35 p.m.
doitover wrote: It won't happen, the people that don't think we are influencing global warming will never accept that we did.
ignorant wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: ignorant, oxygen is toxic too at certain % and pressure levels. Nitrogen is toxic at certain % levels. Humm, helium will kill you too at certain % levels.
very very true. I really hope that I am around to see you eat your words on global warming.. Should be fun.

I'm gonna ride this bitch out as long as I can.

B02S4
B02S4 Reader
7/9/08 8:20 p.m.

Global warming? Please. Go convince China, India, Russia, Pakistan, & Mexico to adopt the environmental standards that the US already has in place.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/9/08 8:45 p.m.
B02S4 wrote: Global warming? Please. Go convince China, India, Russia, Pakistan, & Mexico to adopt the environmental standards that the US already has in place.

because we shouldn't do any better until they do...

B02S4
B02S4 Reader
7/9/08 8:56 p.m.
ignorant wrote: because we shouldn't do any better until they do...

In this context, what is your definition of better? It could be similar to my definition of foolish.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/9/08 10:36 p.m.

28MPG today cruising @70MPH with A/C on in 90* heat.

Then just to warm the globe a little more I did a 3-block burnout of epic proportions.

Now, who has the best 225/60/16 tire?

ACarlson
ACarlson New Reader
7/9/08 11:18 p.m.

Thanks for bringing us back around, Michael. Or trying, anyway.

Veddy intedestink. Twenty-eight mpg is what I consistently nail in the ZX3, so taking no hit on the highway, getting a more comfy ride and something capable of a beautiful bit of RWD goodness like that... I may be sold.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/10/08 12:07 a.m.
B02S4 wrote:
ignorant wrote: because we shouldn't do any better until they do...
In this context, what is your definition of better? It could be similar to my definition of foolish.

your definition of foolish might be close to saving money and exploiting competitive advantage in the market place by having first mover advantage, not really available anymore since T. Boone is in the mix, but hey we can dream, by selling alternative energy that actually saves money and resources.

or you could be calling me a twit.

btw: I have a 102 fever and cannot sleep.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
7/10/08 6:58 a.m.
P71 wrote: Now, who has the best 225/60/16 tire?

You lose. Nobody does. Best off with a 245/45-18

Too bad the cost of your tires offsets your "good" gas mileage :(

P71
7/10/08 8:18 a.m.

Actually the 225/60/16 market is full of cheap great tires for cop cars, because cops need them

Mine were already well-used when I purchased the car and they've survived 6,500 miles, an HPDE, a road-course Touring session, an autocross, and ~75 drag strip passes with epic burnouts.

I really can't complain about tire wear

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
7/10/08 8:43 a.m.
P71 wrote: Actually the 225/60/16 market is full of cheap great tires for cop cars, because cops need them

Cheap? yes. Great? no. Decent? maybe.

P71
7/10/08 7:43 p.m.

ORLY?

So Dunlop SP Sport's aren't great tires? Firehawk Wide Ovals? Recently tested by GRM Fuzion ZRi's? Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position's? What about the test-winning Falken Ziex Ze 912's? Or even the Proxes TPT's I have?

I dunno why you hate the P71's so much, but even stock they are supreme performance and daily driver cars for the price. Not to mention Mustang GT take-off's bolt right on (instantly netting you 17 or 18's) (99-04 Mustang for a 95-02 CV, 05-08 Mustang for a 03-08 CV).

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
7/11/08 9:45 a.m.
P71 wrote: So Dunlop SP Sport's aren't great tires? Firehawk Wide Ovals? Recently tested by GRM Fuzion ZRi's? Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position's? What about the test-winning Falken Ziex Ze 912's? Or even the Proxes TPT's I have?

No, those are all O.K. tires. Good for daily driving, maybe. Performance, no.

P71 wrote: I dunno why you hate the P71's so much, but even stock they are supreme performance and daily driver cars for the price. Not to mention Mustang GT take-off's bolt right on (instantly netting you 17 or 18's) (99-04 Mustang for a 95-02 CV, 05-08 Mustang for a 03-08 CV).

I never said I hated the P71. This thread was about high gas mileage highway cruising. The P71 does not get good gas mileage. Does it offer good out of the box performance? Yes. Hell, I wish any of my cars would run 14s. Are good tires available for it on stock sized wheels/diameter? No. Are they for Mustang wheels? Hell yes. Pricey though.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
7/11/08 10:03 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: I never said I hated the P71. This thread was about high gas mileage highway cruising. The P71 does not get good gas mileage.

Umm, let me quote the OP:

"Maybe I should refine my criteria by saying that ultimate mileage is not the goal, otherwise I'd get her an Insight and teach her to draft semis. (You know, now that I mention it...) Looking for a balance between acceptable-to-very good mileage and good-to-excellent comfort levels."

Good to excellent comfort levels. And she already didn't like long drives in a Miata. Also, there is the price vs mileage factor. It'd take quite a while for the mileage of some of your suggestions to overcome their buy-in price vs a 28 mpg larger car that cost considerably less to buy to start with.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
7/11/08 11:42 a.m.

Ugh, you got me there. Maybe I do hate the car?

I just hate how someone says this:

ACarlson wrote: I'm looking for recommendations for a comfortable highway cruiser that returns the best possible mileage and is dead nuts reliable.

And without fail one of the first responses always comes from the P71 fanboy crowd.

P71
7/11/08 7:36 p.m.

So it's OK for the first answer to all sports car/convertible questions to be Miata, but not OK for the first answer to a comfortable, reliable, highway cruiser be P71?

And sorry, 28MPG IS good for highway mileage. Especially considering it seats 5, is full-size, has full amenities (weight), and is V8 powered. Most Camry's don't hit 28MPG on the highway and not a jack one of them can run 14's with ease...

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/11/08 8:12 p.m.

while i agree with you p71, the new v6 camry runs something like 14.3 in the 1/4 and is epa rated at 28 mpg hwy. but it costs a e36 m3 load more than a p71

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/11/08 8:34 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: while i agree with you p71, the new v6 camry runs something like 14.3 in the 1/4 and is epa rated at 28 mpg hwy. but it costs a e36 m3 load more than a p71

It's actually rated at 31mpg. http://www.caranddriver.com/buying_guide/toyota/camry/2007_toyota_camry/2007_toyota_camry_v_6_feature

14.3 @ 99mph

Which is even faster than the MS 3. Aren't 1/4 mile times just the greatest way to measure a car's performance. I know when I think performance car, I think Toyota camry, not Mazdaspeed 3, because the Camry is the faster in the 1/4.

and yes, a NEW Camry does cost more than a 5-7 year old P71. However the P71 was more expensive when new.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/used-police-cars_2009_60639921

As shown on the 2005 P71 window sticker, the P71 was apparently only rated at 21mpg highway, and was about $1000 more than the Camry is. While I don't doubt that your getting 28mpg out of your P71, I also doubt that if you drove a camry you'd only get 31 out of it.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua Dork
7/11/08 8:56 p.m.

Man I knew moms camry felt quick. 14.3 thats awesome. I love technology. Where else can you drive a car styled after a vacuum cleaner that can whip up on old mustangs.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
7/11/08 11:13 p.m.

Not sure what my mom's Camry is rated @ (4 banger) and I'm too lazy to look it up. But it has more than enough power for a commuter, its optioned out, is pretty comfortable, has killer A/C, and I have averaged 37mpg with it numerous times on the highway. My parents have gotten 41 in it before

Its an '02. one can probably be picked up for ~10k? Its the definition of dead nuts reliable.

And just to be clear, P71, Miata is not the answer to all sports car questions. It may be a good one, but I'm not sold on it yet.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/11/08 11:20 p.m.
nocones wrote:
Strizzo wrote: while i agree with you p71, the new v6 camry runs something like 14.3 in the 1/4 and is epa rated at 28 mpg hwy. but it costs a e36 m3 load more than a p71
It's actually rated at 31mpg. http://www.caranddriver.com/buying_guide/toyota/camry/2007_toyota_camry/2007_toyota_camry_v_6_feature 14.3 @ 99mph Which is even faster than the MS 3. Aren't 1/4 mile times just the greatest way to measure a car's performance. I know when I think performance car, I think Toyota camry, not Mazdaspeed 3, because the Camry is the faster in the 1/4. and yes, a NEW Camry does cost more than a 5-7 year old P71. However the P71 was more expensive when new. http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/used-police-cars_2009_60639921 As shown on the 2005 P71 window sticker, the P71 was apparently only rated at 21mpg highway, and was about $1000 more than the Camry is. While I don't doubt that your getting 28mpg out of your P71, I also doubt that if you drove a camry you'd only get 31 out of it.

thats funny, because i looked at toyotas website, it said the v6 camry was rated at 19/28. and yes, car and driver could only manage a 14.4 or 5 with the ms3, but road and track and motor trend managed 14.2 or faster.

EDIT: oh, and just about all crown vics, P71 or not, are rated 25 hwy, but p71 owners have said that they've gotten 28-30 on the highway

P71
7/12/08 12:58 a.m.

Actually the civvie CV's usually see better real-world MPG on the highway (most have 2.73/3.08 gears). My dear old Gramps routinely saw 32-35MPG in his Grand Marquis.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B1eDAG17odRYQoJqNH88p6cOPG9NbhJdubEpLhPusTTlFtxQNGEjSvmqh65ybSrY