Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/5/20 9:17 p.m.

I'm a big Z fan (297# last weigh in).  Between eBay and Antique Autotrader there are a ton of $35,000+ 240Z's for sale.  

Are folks really paying these prices?  Or is everyone tossing them on hoping somebody will pay it so then they will sell? 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/5/20 9:25 p.m.

People are paying them on the Z. On BAT you can see them selling 

personally I would love a 1600 convertible. 

johndej
johndej HalfDork
1/5/20 9:26 p.m.

The 240s have started to bring big money for good clean cars.

https://bringatrailer.com/datsun/

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
1/5/20 9:30 p.m.

Sadly yes. I would love to be getting into a Z (and/or roadster) in a year or two but am worried I'll be priced out before I can buy if the prices keep climbing.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/5/20 10:15 p.m.

Yup. Seems the market may be peaking a little bit though. The total sales from Monterey this year were pretty soft. Toys are usually the first to go when it all hits the fan. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/6/20 6:42 a.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

I am confused then....With the country being in the middle of the best economy it has ever seen in its history, and interest rates at zero, classic collectors should be seeing record sales numbers.  No?

Pete

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
1/6/20 7:43 a.m.

There are holes in the economy. That's why the interest rate is where it is.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
1/6/20 8:02 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I feel like your post is at least partially tongue in cheek, but just in case it's not, this is an interesting metric that might explain a decrease in discretionary purchases:

And if we stretch the timeline for historical context:

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/20 12:44 p.m.

I would get an early 260 for cheaper. Looks almost the same with a bigger engine.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/9/20 5:31 p.m.
mad_machine said:

I would get an early 260 for cheaper. Looks almost the same with a bigger engine.

Well, bigger engine with less power, way worse carbs, and not as attractive rear taillights and valence. Depending on early or late, even uglier bumpers.

The 240s will always bring the most money and I love that some people are paying $35000 for them. I send those links to my wife and then proceed to throw money at my turd while convincing her it's a "smart investment".

I paid almost the same amount of money for my triple webers  as I did for the car itself 7 years ago. I can do that and not feel bad at all because I'm still in to it way under market value for them. 

It's good and bad for these cars. When they were dirt cheap and plentiful, they were still just as pretty. Now, the dudes that have $35000 240z's who compare how low people's Serial numbers are and brag about having $2000 OEM glass headlight covers and a defrost option....(you know the stand dbag's in every scene)  are infiltrating the scene.  Much different than the average $3500 driver quality stuff for the every day enthusiast.  It's really like two different worlds.  

mad_machine
1/10/20 9:38 a.m.
crankwalk said:
mad_machine said:

Well, bigger engine with less power, way worse carbs, and not as attractive rear taillights and valence. Depending on early or late, even uglier bumpers.

Less power and worse carbs are probably the same issue. As a non-enthusiast of the Z, I do not see that much difference in looks between the early 260 and 240, the only differences in the taillight area appears to be a divorced reverse light and the bottom of the lights are amber. As the shape appears the same, maybe you can swap 240 parts? It just seems that if you want a 240 but can't afford one because of the collectors, making an early 260 into a clone would not be all that hard. The late 260, yes, the early, no

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/10/20 9:53 a.m.

I'm that weirdo who likes 280ZXs, the least-desirable Z car there is, and even those have been going up.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
1/10/20 1:43 p.m.

Pretty sure z31 300zxs are the least desirable zcar... And I'm a 280zx owner so maybe I'm biased...

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
1/10/20 1:54 p.m.

One of the factors driving the price up is the idiot kids that buy them to engine swap and drift them. They're like locusts who've already destroyed all of the ae86s and s13 and s14 cars and now they moved on the the s30 chassis.

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
1/10/20 2:40 p.m.
jimbob_racing said:

One of the factors driving the price up is the idiot kids that buy them to engine swap and drift them. They're like locusts who've already destroyed all of the ae86s and s13 and s14 cars and now they moved on the the s30 chassis.

While I got a good laugh out of your comment, and agree, is it much different than the people grinding up old NAs/NBs for spec piñata?  Or the autocrossers that have removed every 89 civic si from existence?  

Its unfortunate to lose the supply, but I am glad they are getting raced and enjoyed before they go out with a (literal) bang.  

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/20 7:53 p.m.
mad_machine said:
crankwalk said:
mad_machine said:

Less power and worse carbs are probably the same issue. As a non-enthusiast of the Z, I do not see that much difference in looks between the early 260 and 240, the only differences in the taillight area appears to be a divorced reverse light and the bottom of the lights are amber. As the shape appears the same, maybe you can swap 240 parts? It just seems that if you want a 240 but can't afford one because of the collectors, making an early 260 into a clone would not be all that hard. The late 260, yes, the early, no

260s have lower compression and smog equipment. Its not just the carbs. As far as the rear section, you dont just pop in 240z taillights. Personally i think the later taillights arent as pretty so I would have to modify the rear which can be done.

https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/95445-240z-tail-lights-into-260z280z-write-uppics/ 

You might not see the difference but its a drawback for many people. (Nobody puts later taillights on but people do go the other way)

If you want a driver and just like the s30 chassis get a 260/280 and retrofit prettier earlier pieces on it. 

If you want a Z that is really appreciating as an investment, pay for a series 1 240 as weve already seen the bottom of their value and they will always bring the most money.

mad_machine
1/12/20 9:25 p.m.
Flynlow said:
jimbob_racing said:

While I got a good laugh out of your comment, and agree, is it much different than the people grinding up old NAs/NBs for spec piñata?  Or the autocrossers that have removed every 89 civic si from existence?  

Its unfortunate to lose the supply, but I am glad they are getting raced and enjoyed before they go out with a (literal) bang.  

don;t forget the E30s. Those are almost gone too

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BAr87LwvHCBUHut444nAQGSknBhajemxyTpuXfjvpVyJhWC8HJpxYkTIj5EbZPJR