1 2 3
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/18 12:08 a.m.

While browsing for yet more crap to bu on eBay it showed a "similar items" that was the 2011 release of the Hot Wheels Vintage Racing John Morton BRE Racing Datsun 510. Cool I thought, I have a couple of those, then I saw the bidding... 

North of $400!! For a 7 year old $5 Hot Wheel! I checked sold prices, and sure enough, they bring from $300-$400 all the time in package, and $200-$250 loose! Well I have one sealed and one loose one so you can guess what I did immediately after that...

Anybody want to buy some toy cars? Turns out I have most of that entire series in duplicate...

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/5/18 2:04 a.m.

Great moments in Challenge History:

8/5/2018
Forum member "Javelin" sells his hotwheels collection and completely funds his 2019 challenge winning build.

failboat
failboat UberDork
8/5/18 4:12 a.m.
Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/5/18 4:41 a.m.
JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
8/5/18 7:34 a.m.

Oh E36 M3. I bought two of those datsuns through a guy at my work who's in the club, and I flipped them immediately after purchase. Darn.  

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/5/18 7:49 a.m.

Pretty sure I’ve got one in a bag in the basement somewhere....

Brian
Brian MegaDork
8/5/18 8:26 a.m.

Wishing I bought the special ones now. 

Javelin
8/5/18 8:45 a.m.

In reply to failboat :

That one was RLC exclusive and low production to begin with to be uber-collectible on purpose. I got the 510's at the grocery store. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/5/18 9:31 a.m.

Aren’t you going through a divorce? I’d have this thread deleted. 

Javelin
8/5/18 9:37 a.m.
mtn said:

I am, but we already split the assets. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/5/18 10:57 a.m.
Javelin said:
mtn said:

I am, but we already split the assets. 

Ok, just making sure

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
8/5/18 11:10 a.m.

I know for a fact that I have/had one of these in the packaging. I have no idea whatsoever where it is or what I did with it.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/5/18 11:48 a.m.

Cool. I think I also have a 510 in the package. 

EDIT: Nope. BMW 2002 and Mazda RX3, but no BRE 510. 

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/18 12:34 p.m.

Holy crap!  I have one too!  Any idea why they are worth so much?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/5/18 3:16 p.m.

Because they didn't make that many. And hard core HotWheels collectors are completely nuts.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/5/18 6:22 p.m.

Thought I had one, maybe I sent it off in one of the New Years GRM game boxes. Not sure. Still have a BMW 2002, Nissan 240 and a Subaru Brat.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
8/5/18 9:12 p.m.

Do they have to be in the original packaging to be worth anything? I have a whole lunch box full of old hot wheels from the 60's to early 70's that I actually played with as a kid.

Javelin
8/5/18 10:12 p.m.

In reply to wlkelley3 :

No, in fact the 68-73 redlines are usually worth more out of the package. 

Javelin
8/5/18 10:13 p.m.
PMRacing said:

Holy crap!  I have one too!  Any idea why they are worth so much?

They apparently stopped production early on the second series of Vintage Racing and this is one of the last cars. I don't get it though, Johnny Lightning, Greenlight, and Tomica all make a version of it that's nicer and they go for like $20.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
8/5/18 10:32 p.m.
Javelin said:

No, in fact the 68-73 redlines are usually worth more out of the package. 

That's interesting, I didn't know that.  I still have a few of the original 'sweet sixteen' from when I was a kid (the Mustang, Cougar and Beetle) but they've been well played with and aren't for sale anyway.  smiley

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/5/18 11:06 p.m.

Why would the redline models be worth more out of the package?

Javelin
8/6/18 12:05 a.m.
Run_Away said:

Why would the redline models be worth more out of the package?

Quality back then was spotty at best and most of the cars have "toning" from impurities. The Spectraflame paint is translucent over a coat of zinc. The packaging often hides the issues and the only way to ensure a perfect car is have it out in the open. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/6/18 5:16 a.m.

Can’t find the Datsun, but found about 10 others in the package, seemingly worth $100-$150 total. Not bad for a $10 investment! Good lookin out!

I bought a pile of them from the grocery store on sale for $1 each as little special surprises for my daughter...back when she was into cars :/

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/7/18 9:15 a.m.

I am looking at the BRE 510 sitting on my shelf here at my office.  Do I sell it now or hang on to it and pretend I didn't see this thread.

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
8/7/18 9:32 a.m.

I gave one away with others to some Kids at the $2015 or $2016 Challenge.  Some kid has a nice little investment.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WrT1QTzyBTnKuBicHy3XwBJmDpjeUQ38WCIM2ZANPAdh6rPKf6MHB3Vaavmi87W9