1 2 3
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/09 1:48 a.m.

Thier minivan was picked up and dropped by a tornado, received only a broken window, and we need to sue. Makes perfect sense.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/08/14/Honda_Side_Window_Smashed_in_Tornado.htm

(CN) - A family demands $10 million from Honda, claiming a side window shattered and injured them when a tornado picked up their Honda Odyssey, which "remained airborne for a few seconds before plummeting to the ground and landing on all four wheels. Upon impact, the driver's side passenger window shattered and glass flew into the car." Two girls suffered eye injuries from the glass and three other family members suffered face, chest and head lacerations, the family says in Prince George's County Court. One girl lost her left eye and another one needed eye surgery. The father says he warned his wife - a defendant - not to go to the "back to school night" because there was a tornado warning, but she "was upset at the program for not properly caring for her child and decided it was necessary to drive her children to the program. ... A few minutes after her departure, defendant Achumba felt a shove from the rear of the Odyssey, and it was lifted into the air." The Achumba family says the tempered glass Honda uses in side windows to reduce costs is not strong enough. They say Honda should use laminated glass, as it does for windshields. They are represented by Jonathan Dailey of Surovell Markle & Isaacs of Fairfax, Va.
mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
8/15/09 2:28 a.m.

Heck, sue Honda for the fact that the Odyssey isn't up-armored. That's a dangerous area to live in, after all.

What a berkeleyin' crock.

Do any general use vehicles use laminated glass other than in the windshield?

Sadly, Honda will likely pay them $50k to shut them the hell up.

Josh
Josh HalfDork
8/15/09 2:33 a.m.
mistanfo wrote: Do any general use vehicles use laminated glass other than in the windshield?

No, because if they did, rescue workers would not be able to get people the hell OUT of vehicles, and they would end up with a lot more lawsuits than just this one imbecile.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
8/15/09 6:51 a.m.

Simple Greed....

TJ
TJ HalfDork
8/15/09 7:24 a.m.
mistanfo wrote: Sadly, Honda will likely pay them $50k to shut them the hell up.

At least.

Sucks that a kid lost an eye, but to somehow blame the car manufacturer? I hope these people don't ever get near a gun...since they live in Prince George's County they will get shot eventually...think of the lawsuit they can file then.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/15/09 8:10 a.m.

Nothing new; plenty of manufacturers have been sued over the exact same thing. The tempered glass is meant to crumble if broken, the same way the glass in home sliding doors is supposed to do. But that doesn't stop some lawyer from finding a 'honey hole'.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/15/09 8:37 a.m.

I blame liberals and obama.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
8/15/09 8:43 a.m.

Do I spot a trend here? She was on her way to the school because "was upset at the program for not properly caring for her child and decided it was necessary to drive her children to the program. ."

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
8/15/09 8:49 a.m.

I feel bad for the kids.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
8/15/09 9:04 a.m.

Honda should just fix the car. I think 1/2" thick steel plates on all of the windows would be appropriate.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
8/15/09 9:33 a.m.
JFX001 wrote: I feel bad for the kids.

X a gazillion.

JoeyM
JoeyM New Reader
8/15/09 11:12 a.m.
ignorant wrote: I blame liberals and obama.

I blame lawyers and the litigious society they've helped to foster....

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
8/15/09 11:26 a.m.

Why not have child services take her children away. Clearly the mother makes poor decisions like trying to drive through a tornado.

Shawn

TJ
TJ HalfDork
8/15/09 12:11 p.m.

They could've made just as much cash by getting Honda to make a commercial about how safe their vehicles are...picked up in the air by a tornado and other than a broken window the car was fine?

carzan
carzan Reader
8/15/09 12:20 p.m.

Honda was clearly negligent considering the non-tornado-proof glass, as well as the lack of an onboard tornado warning system (so they wouldn't have any doubt there was a tornado RIGHT FREAKING BEHIND THEM) AND the lack of a built-in GPS system with a "tornado detour" mode. It's criminal that a company like this can even stay in business.

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
8/15/09 12:33 p.m.

In reply to carzan:

The GPS voice becomes more frantic as your proximity to the Tornado decreases

"Tornado in 2 miles, please turn around" "Tornado in 50 FEET, REVERSE NOW!!!!"

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
8/15/09 12:55 p.m.

too bad darwin didn't win this round.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
8/15/09 2:34 p.m.

Too bad they were able to breed... if you can't look after yourself, or your children, why sue someone else for not doing it for you.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
8/15/09 3:57 p.m.
Josh wrote:
mistanfo wrote: Do any general use vehicles use laminated glass other than in the windshield?
No, because if they did, rescue workers would not be able to get people the hell OUT of vehicles, and they would end up with a lot more lawsuits than just this one imbecile.

I hate to be a smart ass, but some of the new Buicks do. I think the Lucerne and the Lacrosse both use laminated door glasses.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
8/15/09 3:57 p.m.
16vCorey wrote:
Josh wrote:
I hate to be a smart ass, but some of the new Buicks do. I think the Lucerne and the Lacrosse both use laminated door glasses.

That's a lie, I love to be a smart ass.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/09 4:52 p.m.

Better a smartass than a dumbass, I always say.

The lawyer who convinced the family to take this case to trial needs to suffer some personal consequences if he loses. Like, pay for all the court costs out of pocket. Not the company pocket. Make him sell his house.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/15/09 5:28 p.m.
Lesley wrote: Too bad they were able to breed... if you can't look after yourself, or your children, why sue someone else for not doing it for you.

I used to see that all the time in the service business. I called it the APBM syndrome: Anybody Pays But Me.

The best tort reform of all would be 'loser pays', as in loser pays EVERYBODY'S costs: defendant, plaintiff, lawyer fees, court costs, etc. But that'll never happen.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
8/15/09 5:29 p.m.

I agree. When the hell did misfortune become windfall?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/09 6:36 p.m.

I felel sorry for the kids.. they stand no chance in becoming normal people with parents like that.

Having said that.. I hope the judge laughs it out of court

Will
Will Reader
8/15/09 6:50 p.m.

The idiocracy is here, folks.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jxpUnueKhh2V2lURa7aT67PCjWgnQ13TrSj6SDZLiWMl2mrsbyp1tFzwZy5eAoBQ