Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/31/23 11:52 a.m.

Obviously I would like an E39 wagon, but there are lots of cars I'd like.

I have been looking for a lightly used Dodge/Chrysler minivan to serve as a third car for my wife and I. Winter car, light hauling, and road trip car. Probably something 2018-2020.

Yesterday, a 2001 525iT wagon with stick shift popped up on the local FB marketplace, and sold by noon. The thought of an E39 wagon was exciting to both me and the wife in a way that a minivan isn't. But I'm not sure if the reality would live up to the fantasy.

If I'd been able to snag that one locally, I probably would have gone for it. Worst case scenario, we drive it a couple years and sell for what we paid.

I don't expect E39 wagons in decent shape to pop up that regularly. I'm not sure if I should hunt around and hope for another, spread my search and be willing to fly and drive, or just save myself the energy and headache and stick with the original plan of finding a nice minivan locally.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/31/23 12:02 p.m.

We've had very good luck with the 2003 530i that my kids have been driving for about 4 years and 50,000 relatively trouble-free miles.  I would jump at the chance to pick up a manual wagon, but the wagons are somewhat rare.  Manual wagons a measure rarer still.

On a marginally related note, my son went almost nuts last night when he saw that someone two hours away was selling a decent-looking E39 M5 for 6500.  I was sympathetic, but it's not like we have that kind of cash lying around for the purpose of buying what would become the ninth car in our fleet.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/23 12:16 p.m.

An decent looking E39 M5 for $6500 is either a scam or the car is actually on fire right now. That's about $10k low. Heck, the wheels alone are worth $2-3k.

I'd love an E39 wagon. They're a well-understood and supported platform, and the size is just about perfect. Much more interesting than a four year old minivan.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/31/23 12:18 p.m.

I know of a 540iT (automatic) that will probably be coming available later the spring / summer.

aw614
aw614 HalfDork
5/31/23 12:31 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

Yesterday, a 2001 525iT wagon with stick shift popped up on the local FB marketplace, and sold by noon. The thought of an E39 wagon was exciting to both me and the wife in a way that a minivan isn't. But I'm not sure if the reality would live up to the fantasy.

Hopefully it wasn't a maroon colored 525iT wagon from Florida...I went with a friend to drive him down to buy one and that thing was a nightmare and probably cursed...because it seems whomever owned that 525iT wagon, people in relationships broke up sometime after..

Same friend bought a 540iT and converted it to manual after he bought a wrecked 540i six speed (rear ended) has its issues, but he still loves the thing, but I think he has a glutton for punishment..

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/31/23 1:23 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

An decent looking E39 M5 for $6500 is either a scam or the car is actually on fire right now. That's about $10k low. Heck, the wheels alone are worth $2-3k.

I'd love an E39 wagon. They're a well-understood and supported platform, and the size is just about perfect. Much more interesting than a four year old minivan.

You sound like my son! laugh

I was thinking scam, but the story was plausible (aren't they all?) uncle died and left it to him, but he doesn't drive stick.  My son was aware the wheels are sought after and valuable.  An hour later, the ad had been amended to say a deal was pending.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/31/23 1:32 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
Keith Tanner said:

You sound like my son! laugh

I was thinking scam, but the story was plausible (aren't they all?) uncle died and left it to him, but he doesn't drive stick.  My son was aware the wheels are sought after and valuable.  An hour later, the ad had been amended to say a deal was pending.

I think Keith is stuck 10 years ago or so when he bought his M5, $6500 is $20k too low :). At least one worth buying. 

Keith Tanner
5/31/23 2:12 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

There was one listed for $16,500 yesterday on the M5 owner group. At least for a couple of hours, then it got relisted at $18k...

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/31/23 2:36 p.m.

As much as an E39 M5 is one of the top cars in my fantasy garage, I'd be specifically look for a wagon.

Question is really about how available they are. If they can be had nice enough to be worth the extra work of acquiring one vs how easy it is to find a minivan that will be more capable, but not as cool.

What's are the places to hunt online? BringATrailer... ???

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/23 2:39 p.m.

If you truly need a minivan, get a minivan. If you are wondering if you should get a BMW wagon, look at this. 

The answer is of course you should. 

Keith Tanner
5/31/23 4:12 p.m.

The M5 was just a side conversation, obviously not a minivan substitute :)

If I were looking for a Touring, I'd fire up my BMW nerd friends in California. They probably know specific cars coming up for sale. 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
5/31/23 4:27 p.m.

*Could* look abroad to Europe. BMW's are a lot more common there, so a better chance to find a wagon variant if it's what you really want. I know I've debated finding an e36 Touring with a diesel there if / when I travel over to Germany one year... 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 HalfDork
5/31/23 4:42 p.m.

As a big E39 fan and a person who currently uses a 540i for daily transportation I say you absolutely should, its the correct size and weight for a DD, lots of space, the perfect blend of feeling like a classic but having enough power, toys, tech, and safety equipment to not be annoying. 

Yes they have their issues not they're not that bad. 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
5/31/23 4:47 p.m.

I've owned three e39 touring, do it! My brother sent me the one in Columbus right after it was posted, M sport manual is very rare and looked well cared for. I'll keep an eye out for you; do you still have my number?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/1/23 8:50 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

If you truly need a minivan, get a minivan. If you are wondering if you should get a BMW wagon, look at this. 

I was going to say I don't "need" a minivan, and this is technically true. But I looked at the things I've picked up that could only be hauled in something with that level of hauling capacity (greater than the 70" x 44" x 26" of an E39 wagon), and it's quite a bit. I've gotten used to the pure utility of having a minivan, and it would be tough to go back from that.

We have fun, special DD's: my S2000 and her RX-8. So that box is ticked.

I'm now thinking... "Why not both?" I need a replacement for the minivan faster than is worth waiting around for another E39 wagon that would meet my standards. But if I save a few $$$, I can have spare funds to snag one if I see something nice come back up again. When that happens, we can make the call of whether to keep both cars, or sell off whatever is superfluous.

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
6/1/23 10:08 a.m.

I have 2 E39 wagons, one is an LS swap project, the other is my son's daily driver. Every time I drive my son's 528iT I realize how awesome the car is. I would choose it over my wife's X3 if I had to drive 1000 miles tomorrow. Adding the power of a 540 would make it that much better.

So, I figure mine will be even better with twice the power of the 540...

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
6/2/23 7:31 a.m.

I really want an E39 wagon. In fact, I was hunting for one of those or a SW20 when I found a better deal on the MR2.

I have a feeling that in a couple years, when it's time for me to get a new DD, it'll end up being a E39. White, preferably. 

Ive been curious if anyone has modified the trans on those to a newer bimmer version with paddle shifters (yes, I know that some of these came with paddle), to get faster, crisper shifts. 

Ultimately, Id be good with an auto as long as it was RWD and not AWD, just no desire for that. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mN3bt969sg18ucJM8H7wEIi5PwgkZJDup2ozJ35vllopjROajOUNhjqFEjIUj5Jl