Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/11/18 8:32 p.m.

A guy at work always told me how awful of a musician Bob Seger is and I always disagreed. He claimed his songs and voice was terrible.  

After listening to Get Out of Denver I started looking at 1960 Cadillacs.  Uncle Bob?

https://youtu.be/isEflgGjJRY

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/11/18 8:37 p.m.

I've always been partial to Ramblin Gamblin Man.

Linky

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/11/18 9:34 p.m.

The first concert I ever went to without parents was Bob Seger at the Joe Louis Arena in 1986. Being from Michigan, I suppose I'm not exactly impartial, but I've always been a fan. Roll Me Away and Hollywood Nights are great tunes.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
8/11/18 9:37 p.m.

never thought of Seger as Sweet but a damn good MUSICIAN he is.  ask your Bud how many Albums he's made.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
8/11/18 10:14 p.m.

I love all but two songs. I’m not big on Old time rock and roll. It falls into “overplayed wedding reception music”. Katmandu has too similar a sound. I prefer the songs about hitting the road on a motorcycle. 

Bubbal
Bubbal GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/11/18 10:23 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

Those are my top 2 Seger songs.  Read the story about the recording of Hollywood Nights, the musicians were really in to it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/11/18 11:01 p.m.

Bob sings like he's about to bust up crying. I believe that he just might, every time. He's that genuine.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/18 11:13 p.m.

I enjoy doing the horizontal bop 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/12/18 4:15 a.m.

Ol Bob did a lot of Great Lakes Sail boat racing and winning back in the early  `00s.

This article claims that onboard his nickname was RG due to the fact there were multiple people on the boat named Bob. RG short for Rock God.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/12/18 7:26 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

That is awesome. RG FTW. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/12/18 7:31 a.m.

Someone got me his his greatest hits album when I was about 8. Good stuff, still listening to it 20 years later. Won’t hear any complaints from me about him. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/18 8:37 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said: Uncle Bob?

https://i.gifer.com/2tpz.gif

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/18 9:39 a.m.

I remember reading when he toured several years ago he said the only way he’d go back out on the road was if he could sleep in his own bed every night, so that’s what happened. He’d hop in a private jet & fly home to his family every night, then fly to the next gig the following day. 

While I don’t blame him one bit for wanting to do it, the act of pulling it off just came across as arrogant & greedy to me. Then again, he’s the rock god & I’m not, and apparently he has plenty of fans willing to pay those kinds of ticket prices to pull it off. I like his music, but that’s not me(for any artist for that matter).

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
8/12/18 11:25 a.m.

I'm a sax player, so of course I like his music.  My band always gets a big response when we launch into Turn the Page.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
8/13/18 6:40 a.m.

Petey,  KENNY RODGERS did that also and John Travolta has a several thousand foot runway in his front yard with a hangar attached to the house, this is for a 30 passenger Jet Airliner and of course a couple smaller jets just because.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/18 8:41 a.m.

I’m always surprised when someone says they don’t like Bob Seger.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/13/18 9:15 a.m.
Wally said:

Feel free to be surprised now, then.  I've hated Bob Seger since the summer of 1976, when I was 11, and I had to hear Night Moves what seemed like 10 times a day for 6 months.  Don't even get me started on Old Time Rock 'n' Roll.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
8/13/18 9:40 a.m.

Not a fan either.

I had that album when I was kid and I liked it. I'm not a kid anymore.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/13/18 9:57 a.m.

In reply to Suprf1y :

Yeah, you're  both dead inside. cheeky

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/13/18 1:36 p.m.
Duke said:
Wally said:

Feel free to be surprised now, then.  I've hated Bob Seger since the summer of 1976, when I was 11, and I had to hear Night Moves what seemed like 10 times a day for 6 months.  Don't even get me started on Old Time Rock 'n' Roll.

See also:  Stevie Nicks and One Wing Dove or White Wing Dove or whatever the hell that berking song was named.  Bob Seger at least knows more than one chord.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/14/18 3:39 a.m.
Duke said:
Duke said:
Wally said:

See also:  Stevie Nicks and One Wing Dove or White Wing Dove or whatever the hell that berking song was named.  Bob Seger at least knows more than one chord.

Good day sir.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/14/18 7:42 a.m.

One chord. One inane verse. 5 and a half minutes of repetition. Played 10 times a day on every radio station for 6 months. And then as soon as that went off the air, the nearly-identical live version 10 times a day for the next 6 months. 

Even looking at pictures of Stevie Nicks makes me want to put ice picks through my ears just in case they somehow decide to start singing. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/14/18 8:05 a.m.

Oh, and if Bob Seger wanted to hear some old time rock and roll, why didn't he just, you know, PLAY SOME?  He is a musician, after all.  Same as Alabama's bob-forsaken "Play Me Some Mountain Music".  You're musicians fercryinoutloud.  Instead of writing some crappy country-pop song that talks about wanting to hear bluegrass, just play some damn bluegrass and spare us all.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/14/18 10:22 a.m.
Duke said:

One chord. One inane verse.

Which chord bothered you? The VI, VII, or the i?

Which was the inane verse of the 4 (or 5)? Or was it the chorus that annoyed you?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/14/18 12:31 p.m.
mtn said:
Duke said:

One chord. One inane verse.

Which chord bothered you? The VI, VII, or the i?

Which was the inane verse of the 4 (or 5)? Or was it the chorus that annoyed you?

My bad.  It was the inane chorus.  I hate songs where you have heard the whole thing in the first minute, but they feel compelled to drag it out for another 4 or 5.

Just like the white winged dove
Sings a song
Sounds like she's singing
Who who who
Just like the white winged dove
Sings a song
Sounds like she's singing
Oh baby oh said oh

Repeat ad nauseum

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B536DO6DscRMR7PiaDtx1LZixNj2bDt2wwuxtiTpfPtUdfADDTsbH4gRE7qLFsFN