1 2
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/20 12:52 p.m.

This popped up in my Facebook feed.  It seems like the next logical step as I run away from my problems, crewing for a Euro NASCAR team.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3433622410087779&id=1100560000060710

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/23/20 1:01 p.m.

With a letter from your employer stating that you are needed, same day.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/23/20 1:08 p.m.

This falls during my b-day. I think this would be a great present to myself.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
11/23/20 1:14 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

This is the last thing my employer will help with. They're unhappy with how much time I take to go racing as it is.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
11/23/20 1:15 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

It sounds like a great time 

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/23/20 1:15 p.m.

I'm in the for "Bob & Wally: GRM nascar euro festivus" youtube special.

If you have a current/expired passport, you can get one same day at the passport office.  I had to do it last year @ Boston.  If I recall, you're near Harrisburg.. I'd think there's one there?  You may need to go to Philly for it, though.

If you've never had a passport, I can't help ya..

Wally (Forum Supporter)
11/23/20 1:19 p.m.

In reply to bluej (Forum Supporter) :

If anyone has some pull I'm in. 

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
11/23/20 1:20 p.m.

There are a number of expedited passport services or if you are near a passport issue location you can do same day.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
11/23/20 1:21 p.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane (FS) (That's short for Forum Supporter so it saves space) :

I've never had one. Getting a new one seems to be an issue in these challenging times.  I have called an office in Manhattan about stopping in tomorrow but it didn't sound promising. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
11/23/20 1:22 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

Maybe I'll walk in and play dumb then. Not that they'd pick me anyway but I can't ask without the paperwork. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/23/20 1:24 p.m.

My passport is renewed and ready to rock.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/23/20 1:28 p.m.

About a decade ago I had to get one for work to go to China. I'd never had one and ans usual the powers that be ignored the fact until it was almost too late. The company paid a service $2000 to hand deliver my paperwork between offices in DC and to the Chinese consulate to get my visa. As I remember it took about a week to get it done.

I just did my first renewal this summer, normal mail in service. Took about 3 months to get it back.

My last year of college there were a couple class mates with whom I regularly discussed dropping out to try and be a pro race wrench. We finally decided it probably wasn't worth it being 6 months from graduation.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/23/20 1:32 p.m.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast.html

Looks like you just need to have a "need" for international travel in 72 hours.  Seems like WORKING as a Nascar mechanic would qualify.  Just tell them they have to pay you at least $20 in cash (I'm assuming they would pickup travel, lodging, food, etc) so it's a "JOB".

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/23/20 1:43 p.m.

If you have a flight that week you can get one same day or next day, even if it isn't work related.

I did that 6 years ago when I got invited to go to Italy unexpectedly. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/20 1:44 p.m.

On reading the thread title my first thought was you don't need a passport if you hid the body well enough.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
11/23/20 1:58 p.m.

worth a try , but with Covid , Thanksgiving  and no previous passport it will not be easy , 

Go get your photos now  ,  and hopefully you have your birth certificate  , 

Good luck , its good to have anyway.....

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
11/23/20 3:28 p.m.

All the really expedited passport service places are closed right now because of Covid.  If you have a true emergency, like a family member has died, you can get one but otherwise you have to do the "regular" expediting service, which takes a month.

We did get my sons back in 2 weeks which is really weird since I sent mine in ~2 weeks before his and I still haven't gotten mine back yet...

Wally (Forum Supporter)
11/23/20 4:00 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

On reading the thread title my first thought was you don't need a passport if you hid the body well enough.

I'm good on that, lots of lime, a dog halfway down and no one knows. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/24/20 12:43 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to bluej (Forum Supporter) :

If anyone has some pull I'm in. 

Your congressman or woman can help

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
11/24/20 6:34 p.m.

My passport showed up today.  1 month after I sent it in for expedited service.  My sons showed up in two week, expedited service but done at the Post Office because he's a minor.

As an aside, I had way more hair ten years ago but I look thinner in my picture now.  Not sure that's a win.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/24/20 7:08 p.m.

If you pay more....about 2 weeks.

That's what mine took before covid. 

johndej
johndej Dork
11/24/20 7:31 p.m.

My wife and I have done day of with an existing passport after a country had a nonstandard requirement that it needed 6 months of standing left. That was also at the national office in DC precovid but on a holiday weekend.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
11/24/20 8:18 p.m.

I checked today, with Thanksgiving and Covid there's no chance I'd have it in time. I doubt I would have gotten picked anyway but it was fun to look into. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/25/20 3:10 a.m.

You should go through with the process now, though... better to have it, and have the option to jump on an opportunity.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pqO4kqIEYH51wYaV4IPWSbSTUG77YJHcAFh4Ez2PpgvAb3gGgUGHSlJzfCPSqh1z