1 2
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/4/21 7:28 p.m.

Once its broken off?  Surprisingly, as many old E36 M3boxes I've driven, this is the first time this has happened.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/4/21 7:31 p.m.

Dental tools.  Doctor tools.  Hemostat, I think, is the word for little locking doctor pliers.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/4/21 7:45 p.m.

When it happened in my miata I just took to keeping a knife in the center console to turn it on and off, but yours looks like it was part way out when it broke.

Hemostats, pick, maybe try gluing a stick on the end if you get get to it

Mr_Asa
3/4/21 7:52 p.m.
RevRico said:

When it happened in my miata I just took to keeping a knife in the center console to turn it on and off, but yours looks like it was part way out when it broke.

I can still stick the key in and turn it to get it to crank or shut off.  Don't want to do that long term, though

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/21 7:54 p.m.

Is it turned to a position that it'll come out?  If not first step is to turn it so.  Next I'd try rare earth magnets to extract.  If not then as above unless the cylinder can be extracted and then just replaced.  Time and frustration > playing a reasonable amount as I get older.  Unless Challenge.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
3/4/21 8:04 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
RevRico said:

I can still stick the key in and turn it to get it to crank or shut off.  Don't want to do that long term, though

Why not? Who else knows it'll start like that?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/21 8:10 p.m.

Not sure if they're still available, but I have a pair of crazy-skinny Craftsman needle nose pliers that would probably get in there. 

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/4/21 8:11 p.m.

What make/model? On an old Ranger, you removed the plastic trim and inserted a small punch into a recess, pushed some sort of spring and the whole cylinder came out. Most cylinders come out with a pin of some sort.

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
3/4/21 8:26 p.m.

I once used a small drop of super glue on the part that came off. Stuck it in an waited a few seconds, pulled the whole key out. Yours looks like it might be a little deep in there for that to work though. I'd try it if I ran out of other options.

Mr_Asa
3/4/21 8:35 p.m.
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) said:

What make/model? On an old Ranger, you removed the plastic trim and inserted a small punch into a recess, pushed some sort of spring and the whole cylinder came out. Most cylinders come out with a pin of some sort.

'93 F150

I think I've seen that done on a vid somewhere with these.

Mr_Asa
3/4/21 8:38 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:
Mr_Asa said:
RevRico said:

Why not? Who else knows it'll start like that?

I don't like broken things.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
3/4/21 10:05 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Not broken if it still works :)

daeman
daeman Dork
3/5/21 2:46 a.m.

I had this happen a while back. I dropped off the disco to get a windscreen replacement done, went to pick it up and the key broke off when the guy went to bring it back around front. I knew the key was weak and knew the guy well, told him no sweat, look after me on the next job or two and we'll call it sweet.

I berkeleyed about trying to extract it a few ways, but the quickest, easiest way ended up being pulling the column shroud and using a center punch to chase out the sheer bolts for the ignition barrel (basically just put the punch on the edge of the sheer head and start hammering it around anticlockwise), they're not super tight because sheer bolts. Seriously, it's scary how quick you can do it!. That let me start and drive the car out of his shop to the locksmith no worries so I could get a new key cut. Then I drove it home, cleaned and lubed the ignition barrel, put it all back together and everything has been sweet ever since.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/5/21 5:38 a.m.

The link above isn't working, so try this.

https://youtu.be/bDdOj1gpmZI

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/5/21 6:28 a.m.

It's not broken. You just have a shorter key. wink

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/21 7:46 a.m.

That's a special option... the compact key.  Takes up less space in your pocket.

Removing and installing the cylinder on Fords is super easy.  Turn it one click forward, stick a poker up in the hole under the column to push the release pin, and it pops out.  Then whack it on a table until the key shaft comes out.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
3/5/21 11:02 a.m.

Keys are generally useless in fords of that era anyway.

If it was me, I don't see a problem.

On the flip, it's not me, and I understand disliking broken things on principle. Pull the cylinder, and if you can't get the key out I'd take it to a local locksmith, and have them make a couple fresh copies while you're at it. Shouldn't cost all that much more than a decent replacement, and save the hassle of having a new cylinder that uses a different key than the doors..

Go on Amazon. Order a set of broken key extractors. 

If you are in a hurry, you might check the local hardware store or lock shop. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/21 11:07 a.m.

I agree with Shaun.  What you would ask is to "originate a key."  They take it apart and identify the pins in the tumbler and cut a new key to function in the old switch.  Usually preferable to making a copy... because copying a worn-out key is not always accurate enough.

If you want a new tumbler/assembly, they can also re-pin it to match the old key so you don't have two different keys.  That way you get a new tumbler the works with the old pattern.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
3/5/21 11:13 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

The replacement cylinders from Ford come with keys that are only half cut. You match up the 6th cut of your existing key to get the proper cylinder, then you cut the rest of the key cuts to match the door. I doubt very few parts people can still do that though.....

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
3/5/21 12:02 p.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

Having worked in dealership parts departments, I can tell you how many of the folks there can still do what you're talking about. Roughly one in four. If you're willing to wait for the parts to get ordered and willing to pay for the extra stuff that you won't need that they'll still have to order. Ten years ago it was rare, today? I'd find a good locksmith every time. 

daeman
daeman Dork
3/5/21 7:40 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) :

Those are a thing? Man I love what can be learned around this place!

Mr_Asa
3/6/21 5:03 p.m.

Well, I probably did more than I needed to, but the old key is out and the new key works.  Also cleaned and re-greased the tumbler while I was in there.

I tell you what, though.  When the blanks for your key start to not be stocked, you start to worry about how obsolete your stuff is starting to get.  Had to go to three different hardware stores for the key.  Ace, bless them, looked up a possible alternate and cut it for me to try, sadly it didn't work.  Home Depot didn't have the all metal key, or the plastic coated one I like (Axxess #20 is the all metal, #20R is the one I like.)  Finally, Lowe's had both of them but I could NOT get the old guy running the key cutter to understand that the only difference between #20 and #20R was that there was a plastic coating at the top.  Guy followed me to the front and told the manager that he'd warned me that "this key may not work for his truck, he knows that"

He was just trying to head off a potential Karen situation (what's a male Karen?  A Mike?  Frank?  Ken? Steve?), but still you can be a little more discreet about it, y'know?

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/6/21 6:21 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

He was just trying to head off a potential Karen situation (what's a male Karen?  A Mike?  Frank?  Ken? Steve?), but still you can be a little more discreet about it, y'know?

Kevin

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
3/6/21 7:46 p.m.
Karacticus said:
Mr_Asa said:

Kevin

I vote Colton. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D8cF9kgOa4tXVCzBTj9J14hgXt9EpcoTfxKdfsU3xTD0OcEI3UzZfTkVwz4j6CTV