1 2 3
Gubby
Gubby New Reader
8/22/10 7:51 p.m.

I cannot help you, but this man possibly could...

(completely useless, but I could not resist)

alex
alex Dork
8/22/10 8:01 p.m.

This is probably the best excuse to buy a samurai sword you'll ever find. Or a bandsaw.

Or napkins.

OR! I assume these get dried a bit after soaking, right? That is, they don't go from soaking in the magic liquid right into...use. In that case, why not a 5 gallon bucket and a some of these?

May be cheaper per towel than kitchen paper towels, and certainly more durable.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
8/22/10 9:29 p.m.

So whats the recipe?

Joey

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
8/22/10 9:33 p.m.

1 cup Lysol liquid + 1 cup water.

Oh, wait a minute, that's her recipe for disinfectant wipes.

I'll have to check on the baby wipes.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
8/22/10 9:36 p.m.

2 cups hot tap water, 1/4 cup baby wash, 1/4 cup baby oil.

GRM, meet the Frugal Housewife...

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
8/22/10 10:34 p.m.

Dangit, Gubby..ya beat me to it!

IIRC, cutting rolled up tatami mats actually was a practice technique back in medieval Japan because the density is similar to that of a human limb..

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Reader
8/23/10 8:11 a.m.

A broad axe or a rapier

Luke
Luke SuperDork
8/23/10 8:19 a.m.
alex wrote: This is probably the best excuse to buy a samurai sword you'll ever find.

Make it dual katanas. Solves your towel problem or whatever, and you'll have two sweet katanas.

motomoron
motomoron Reader
8/23/10 8:55 a.m.

2 Sweet Katanas?

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/23/10 10:00 a.m.

I'd stop messing around with power tools and grab the torch.

TJ
TJ SuperDork
8/23/10 10:16 a.m.

I might try making a batch of homebrew wipes - something I never really thought about.

I wonder what would happen if I put a few rolls of paper towells on the train tracks and waited. Don't think it would work better than a bandsaw, but it would be better than using a torch.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
8/23/10 11:45 a.m.
chknhwk wrote: Heat *might* be an issue though...

Use an air or nitrogen assist jet, and crank up the pressure - it'll make a lot of smoke, but the flames get blown away from the cutting area before they can spread.

Yes, I do have some firsthand experience - I didn't try it with a roll of paper towels, but a laser will cut corrugated cardboard just fine. Not sure we had a long enough focal lens to use on a towel roll, though.

cghstang
cghstang Reader
8/23/10 11:54 a.m.

I've got a notebook full of pictures at home from an old engineer who used to work somewhere where they made toilet paper or something. They made it in huge rolls, like rolls of carpet or larger and slice it.

At the composite place I worked we had a big saw for slicing long rolls of fiberglass cloth into smaller rolls. It was essentially a bandsaw where the roll rotated and the saw blade was fixed.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
8/23/10 6:01 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
chknhwk wrote: Heat *might* be an issue though...
Use an air or nitrogen assist jet, and crank up the pressure - it'll make a lot of smoke, but the flames get blown away from the cutting area before they can spread. Yes, I do have some firsthand experience - I didn't try it with a roll of paper towels, but a laser will cut corrugated cardboard just fine. Not sure we had a long enough focal lens to use on a towel roll, though.

All this time, I thought the "madscientist" part of your nym was fiction. You may be my new hero, Matt.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing New Reader
8/23/10 7:12 p.m.

Would an electric knife (aka: turkey carver) work?

Thanks for the tip

scottgib
scottgib New Reader
8/23/10 7:31 p.m.

Sharp axe

Very sharp large non-serated butcher knife preferably sharpened at a low angle - Japanese style, not western.

Straight razor

Table saw - messy

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
8/23/10 10:03 p.m.

Plasma torch.

Hailfire97x
Hailfire97x New Reader
8/24/10 4:06 a.m.

From my demented teenage brain:

Chainsaw, claymore, jaws-of-life, chaingun, wet kitten, tying-to-a-railroad-track, or my girlfriend's teeth.

Those are the best sharp objects of their kind that I know of...

fritzsch
fritzsch New Reader
4/28/11 10:19 p.m.

a fleet of canoes, i swear

scardeal
scardeal HalfDork
4/29/11 8:16 a.m.
fritzsch wrote: a fleet of canoes, i swear

I don't think canoes are very good at cutting paper...

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/29/11 8:32 a.m.

I found a large shear press worked great. Of course we had one and I didn't have to pay to use it. Set in three flattened rolls with wrappers on and hit button!

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/29/11 10:10 a.m.

How about one of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/variable-speed-multifunction-power-tool-67537.html

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/29/11 10:43 a.m.

Use a cable saw, they're designed to cut down small trees and should rip through paper towels in about 5 seconds.

Josh
Josh Dork
4/29/11 10:47 a.m.

@Curtis73: The whole point of those things is that they don't rotate, so they don't cut into anything that isn't rigid. That's why doctors use a similar tool to cut off casts. I have the craftsman C3 one and you can put your finger right on the blade, it just vibrates the crap out of it. That's all it would to do a towel roll as well.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
4/29/11 10:49 a.m.

Um... buy napkins instead?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hHYF5aRJd6SwrZWazYxwE4BQeHNQ9XRn6nmQQrDkaZ5wIAl1vwMeM6k9PGemLPGO