1 2
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/12/14 1:08 p.m.

I was looking through old posts to find a rust proofing home brew. I found it with "gallon of mineral spirits, 1qt. of non-detergent oil, and 2 wax toilet rings (melt carefully.)" Add all that into a garden sprayer and go to town.

So how would you melt the rings? I have no place to build a fire outside. Microwave might be an option if it won't ruin it or make people sick. Same with a stove or oven. I'm thinking coffee can on top, fire set on very low.

What would you do?

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
11/12/14 1:11 p.m.

Why toilet ring, and not candle wax? You can buy that pretty cheap. then again, i'm not sure how expensive a toilet seal is.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/12/14 1:14 p.m.

Good way to melt wax is to put it in an empty metal can like a paint can (probably chop it up) and heat it up in a water bath. That's how we would make home made candles for Christmas...

I'd probably try candle wax, mainly because I'd be wondering if there are any chemicals in the toilet seal that don't want to be heated up. Of course for additional GRM points you probably want to use recycled toilet seals .

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
11/12/14 1:19 p.m.

Toilet wax seals are a lot softer than candle wax at room temperature.

I'd buy a small sauce pan at a thrift store (use once and discard). The water bath is fine but probably overkill. I'd do it outside over a couple of charcoal lumps - because married - but the stove would work just fine.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
11/12/14 1:20 p.m.

A toilet wax ring used to be made of beeswax but nowadays they're mostly some petroleum based wax.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/12/14 1:22 p.m.

Cool. Never thought of hot water.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
11/12/14 1:28 p.m.

If you use the hot water method you can also heat oil or kero w/ the wax, providing there is sufficient space between the wax pan and the water pan.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
11/12/14 1:55 p.m.

Take that recipe with a grain of salt. In fact, I'd try it first. And with an applicator I was willing to throw away.

You want a solvent that will hold beeswax dissolved at room temperature. Something like acetone, though I've heard turpentine will also hold it dissolved. Otherwise, as soon as you pour the heated beeswax in, it'll resolidify into clumps. Which will thoroughly plug up an applicator nozzle, and even a brush.

The oil you pour the above mix into also needs to be miscible with the bees wax, and solvent. That way it keeps the bees wax oily and soft after the solvent flashes off.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
11/12/14 1:59 p.m.

The point of the water bath is safety - wax is a flammable liquid. I have done similar with candle wax for bike chains. In fact, the OP's recipe for homemade rust proofing is pretty close to the recipe for homemade chain lube.

Unless you really want to go with toilet wax, you can get big blocks of wax in the canning supplies section of the grocery store.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
11/12/14 2:10 p.m.

Dollar store or thrift store sauce pan, stovetop on low. Fumes shouldn't be a problem unless you burn it. If you're worried borrow a Coleman type camping stove from someone and do it outdoors.

What are you waterproofing?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/12/14 2:15 p.m.

my buddy claims he used an old crock pot on low with the same recipe. spray on warm with undercoating gun.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
11/12/14 2:50 p.m.

The mineral spirits will should dissolve it given enough time and a warm place.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/12/14 3:01 p.m.

Burrito Enthusiast
Burrito Enthusiast HalfDork
11/12/14 3:03 p.m.

Taco Bell. Or maybe it just feels like it sometimes.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/12/14 4:35 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde:

Not waterproofing, rust resisting. An 87 4Runner with 444,000 on it. I want it to see half a million.

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
11/12/14 5:14 p.m.

If you look around, you can still get wax seals that are pure carnuba. They are the ones that come in a waxy paper and don't stick to your hands so badly. The ones that come to mind are in a white and blue box.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/12/14 6:14 p.m.

Just typing “Taco Bell” gets a plus one but posting a pic of Rectal Rocket Fuel brand hot sauce (on the day of the Rosetta probe landing on a comet no less) gets nada.

Screw you guys.

Burrito Enthusiast
Burrito Enthusiast HalfDork
11/12/14 8:23 p.m.
RX Reven' wrote: Just typing “Taco Bell” gets a plus one but posting a pic of Rectal Rocket Fuel brand hot sauce (on the day of the Rosetta probe landing on a comet no less) gets nada. Screw you guys.

Dems the rules, man.

blogtoilet
blogtoilet New Spammer
10/12/20 6:32 a.m.

Thanks for sharing the nice information. I spread toilet spam, which has to be the grossest job ever.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
10/12/20 6:47 a.m.

Toilet canoe!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/12/20 7:15 a.m.

Wait, wax ring in a pot over an open fire, THEN pour on a gallon of mineral spirits? 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
10/12/20 11:09 a.m.

Double boiler.  

wdit: damn canoes

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/28/20 7:46 a.m.

an unrelated canoe??

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/28/20 12:24 p.m.

Canoes love E36 M3ter threads, I guess?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/20 1:31 p.m.

It is funny this thread came up. I was thinking of making a home brew rust inhibitor out of paint thinner non fibrated rubberized plastic roof cement and som parifin wax. It would be mostly paint thinner with a rather small amount of the other two components added as I want it to creep and then the thinner evaporates leaving a thin layer of the other two items sealing out water and air. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DlIz8z3tqTXAshLJnt1SG15FFFdyBVzbVMpon10HchzjXtaJGLKKMOP4ZX5CXx0f