1 2
pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
10/13/14 2:05 p.m.

I was out duck hunting this morning at my grandfather's farm. I took Bailey, my friend Chris' dog. We were sitting at the edge of an uncut corn field 15 yards from the Shiawassee river, facing the river. At 7:30 am wood ducks began flying overhead from the corn field toward the river. They were just clearing the tops of the corn plants flying flat out. There was very little chance to aim. I missed a couple flying left to right. 15 minutes later the ducks had finished flying by. The next trip I shall stand in the river looking at the corn field and carry a 12 gauge pump gun with an 18" cylinder bore barrel.

I got to thinking that there are probably some good grassroots hunting stories amongst this crowd. Anyone care to share?

Some photos from this morning.

Bailey looking for ducks in the brightening sky in the east

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
10/13/14 2:07 p.m.

Bailey being distracted by a squirrel, he left it alone until we were packing up and told him to "get it"

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/13/14 2:21 p.m.

When I was 12 I was hunting deer in NE PA on a very cold day - my 1st deer season I was able to hunt. I had a 30-30 Winchester and I was driving the woods. It had been 4hrs of thrashing around in the brush with not so much as a rustle when all of a sudden a big buck jumped out of a hunk of brush right freaking next to me. I never raised the rifle - I shot from the hip like some sort of cowboy asshat. The deer ran into the field and there was a 2nd shot. When I got out there there were three strangers and my uncle, who said the deer was stumbling badly and he had put it down but I had shot it. It was my first deer.

Years later while I was relating this story to cousins with much cowboy bravado at a family holiday party my uncle, well into the Chivas by now... walked out and said "Boy, there was only one hole in that deer. You looked so goddamn proud of yourself on your first day I didn't want to ruin the mood."

RossD
RossD PowerDork
10/13/14 2:25 p.m.

My dad shot a buck off the back of a doe.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
10/13/14 2:30 p.m.
RossD wrote: My dad shot a buck off the back of a doe.

At least he went out doing what most of us hope we're doing when the time comes

10/13/14 2:30 p.m.

Why was your dad riding a doe?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/14 3:09 p.m.

My uncle worked for the water company. One winter day, a frantic woman called saying that a deer had fallen on the frozen reservoir and was struggling to get up. Someone needed to get out there ASAP and help the poor, cute little thing get off the ice.

They sent my uncle. The only thing that he had in the back of his pickup was a two-by-four.

That was one tasty deer.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
10/13/14 6:46 p.m.

bet that went over well with the caller

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
10/13/14 9:57 p.m.

Uncle Joe, eldest of three brothers always hunted whitetails up north at camp. A local legend as the outdoorsman goes. Getting up in years, he started hunting locally w/ family and in '89 decided that would be his last year in the field... he was hanging it up for good.

The '89 buck season went w/ no tags between the brothers, same w/ doe season. Just happened that doe season was extended by one more day due to low tag reports. I was working on my race car at night when Dad called to tell me Uncle Joe had passed away that late afternoon.

Uncle Joe had suffered a fatal heart attack in the last hour of the last possible day of the last year of his hunting life. He died w/ his brothers and w/ his hunting boots on in the grounds they've hunted on since '48... what a way to go. That's always been highly significant to me, almost freaky... or maybe lucky if you knew his wife Aunt Cruella.

I still regret I hadn't spent more time afield w/ Uncle Joe hunting and fishing. Always something. I work too much, this n that... then it's gone.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
10/14/14 6:34 a.m.

there's a saying that goes something like this … "there's never been anyone, who on their death bed, complained that they didn't spend enough time at work" …

something to think about

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
10/14/14 6:46 a.m.

I need to figure this out. My eating habits are extremely favorable to hunting, and my kids are already interested. The only issue is that their Dad has never been hunting in his life. I have a lot to learn.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
10/14/14 7:07 a.m.

^^^ Same here. I watch the Mountain Men, Yukon Men, Alaska shows and think, that life is hard but I could do 75% of it. The freedom is intriguing. Never hunted either but have shot various weapons at a target.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
10/14/14 7:13 a.m.

I've been quail hunting once. It rocked. I keep thinking about trying deer hunting but the last thing I need is another hobby. I do love to cook and eat venison though.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
10/14/14 7:20 a.m.
chrispy wrote: ^^^ Same here. I watch the Mountain Men, Yukon Men, Alaska shows and think, that life is hard but I could do 75% of it. The freedom is intriguing. Never hunted either but have shot various weapons at a target.

Wife and I kind of want to move to Alaska and not participate in this whole 'society' thing. But obviously, I need to know how to hunt even if we stay in SC. I'll also need something than a very short shotgun and a Glock to do it. Tunakid #1 really wants to go bow hunting. He's six, but maybe that's where I ought to start.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
10/14/14 8:20 a.m.
wbjones wrote: there's a saying that goes something like this … "there's never been anyone, who on their death bed, complained that they didn't spend enough time at work" … something to think about

Awww crap....

10/14/14 8:28 a.m.
wbjones wrote: there's a saying that goes something like this … "there's never been anyone, who on their death bed, complained that they didn't spend enough time at work" … something to think about

I've justified many a decision based on that line. "Honey, on my deathbed I will not regret this (trip/racecar/rifle/motorcycle/lathe/boat/hooker/blow/ski-weekend/other)". Someday the woman will use it in defense of killing me.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
10/14/14 8:29 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
chrispy wrote: ^^^ Same here. I watch the Mountain Men, Yukon Men, Alaska shows and think, that life is hard but I could do 75% of it. The freedom is intriguing. Never hunted either but have shot various weapons at a target.
Wife and I kind of want to move to Alaska and not participate in this whole 'society' thing. But obviously, I need to know how to hunt even if we stay in SC. I'll also need something than a very short shotgun and a Glock to do it. Tunakid #1 really wants to go bow hunting. He's six, but maybe that's where I ought to start.

Start with a Hunter Safety class. It's a good class for anyone interested in firearms or hunting or both!

10/14/14 8:39 a.m.

My family were all hunters. Bow, rifle, shotgun... bird, rabbit, coyote, deer, ... and we had dogs for the small game stuff. I have no idea how someone who has never hunted acquires the skills as I was raised into it. There must be some sort of active "camp" for different types of game but finding some people who will be patient with you is probably the best bet. Hunter safety training will teach you how not to accidentally shoot someone while climing over a fence but it won't tell you how to be successful. My grandfather taught me to shoot when I was 5 while I walked with him as he was "running the dogs". There were hours and hours of stories mixed with little lessons how to identify plants, track game, sneak about, etc. All that family are gone now and my kids have no interest so I guess it ends here. I haven't gone hunting in years since my grandfather and uncles passed. I think about it now and again but - it's not the same.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
10/14/14 10:04 a.m.

I certainly hope your dad waited until the big fella was finished!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/14 10:33 a.m.

Ah, hunting season. When Colorado is besieged by Californians who can't tell the difference between a moose and an elk. Great for the local economy, not so much for the moose population. My wife - a Colorado native - is particularly impressed by the hunters who go to "Bambi camp", ranches with tamed herds so they're easy to hunt.

My father in law goes hunting every year in muzzleloader season. He hasn't picked off an elk since he got married in 1970. Then, last year, he took his son with him. Jason's just come off 8 years in the army. They were home after the first weekend with an elk. I'm not so sure the hunting was really the primary goal all these years

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/14 10:37 a.m.
mtn wrote:
At least he went out doing what most of us hope we're doing when the time comes

Should've let him finish though...

10/14/14 10:44 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I'm not so sure the hunting was really the primary goal all these years

I'm pretty sure that is the case for a lot of older hunters. Once you retire you cannot get away from that damn woman unless you get up at the crack of dawn and travel great distances

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
10/14/14 11:25 a.m.

I did my Engineering in SD. Shared a house with 3 others and Venison was a big part of our diet. I was pretty much expected to put my two does in the freezer as part of the rent. The odd antelope made the grade also.

Tags were cheap and $40 got the carcass turned into a lot of brown paper wrapped deer parts. Can't say that I ever became passionate about the "Sport" but I do believe that having to kill your own food gives you a different perspective on life.

Hunting in Canada is a Major PITA, between no open land, strict gun laws and high cost of tags, it is cheaper to buy your meat. Unless of course Bambi-ala-bumper is a favorite; deer are everywhere.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
10/14/14 12:43 p.m.

The hunting part is great.

The part that I disliked was what comes after the kill.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
10/14/14 12:56 p.m.
iceracer wrote: The hunting part is great. The part that I disliked was what comes after the kill.

After the first time, I was so tired from dragging that dead doe a couple of miles back to the truck I swore I would not shoot anything that was not already standing in the pick-up truck bed! Seriously, I had not really thought that one out ahead of time.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Mrace80ufZziwncxJ5f97J9mBGfwDeJgloaL0B9mylxwHmlGqAVcGT3b1Jw2tJgV